My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've test drove both FWD and AWD vehicles and my wife has the preference for the FWD car. Based on the driving experience, she is says that the AWD drivetrain feels more planted than the FWD (for obvious reasons) and feels more comfortable with the FWD. It's a really good deal on the car, but the AWD seems to be the hang up. I don't have a dog in the fight outside of the mechanical aspect. Are there any maintenance differences between the two options? For those that have moved from a FWD to AWD vehicle, any pros or cons in your experience?

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
32 Posts
I assume FWD means front wheel drive. IMO I think it depends on the roads taken. But, I think that AWD gives some a piece of mind. Have no idea on PM. Have had a few FWDs and really had nothing to do different other than the alignment

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
For me it's location and driving conditions (winter) that necessitate my having four wheel drive. The one maintenance piece that I can think of is the transfer case that transmits the power to the rear wheels. Mine leaked soon after I purchased it in 2018. It was all covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
AWD means you have a few more things to break down but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Hopefully repairs are a long way off.

I've had a number of FWD vehicles including two Jeep Patriots. I prefer FWD simply because it costs less and AWD isn't needed under most circumstances, even snow. All AWD does is get you started easier in deep snow or on a hill. AWD isn't going to stop you any quicker or corner any better.

If snow is a concern, get good snow tires. They will help with starting, stopping, and cornering. When's the last time you saw a car stuck on a hill? When's the last time you saw a car that slid off the road? 'Nuf said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume FWD means front wheel drive. IMO I think it depends on the roads taken. But, I think that AWD gives some a piece of mind. Have no idea on PM. Have had a few FWDs and really had nothing to do different other than the alignment
Correct. It's just gonna be on mainly city streets.

For me it's location and driving conditions (winter) that necessitate my having four wheel drive. The one maintenance piece that I can think of is the transfer case that transmits the power to the rear wheels. Mine leaked soon after I purchased it in 2018. It was all covered under warranty.
Thanks for the heads up. The transfer case is the one component that I was thinking about. There really isn't a need for FWD here given the use.

AWD means you have a few more things to break down but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Hopefully repairs are a long way off.

I've had a number of FWD vehicles including two Jeep Patriots. I prefer FWD simply because it costs less and AWD isn't needed under most circumstances, even snow. All AWD does is get you started easier in deep snow or on a hill. AWD isn't going to stop you any quicker or corner any better.

If snow is a concern, get good snow tires. They will help with starting, stopping, and cornering. When's the last time you saw a car stuck on a hill? When's the last time you saw a car that slid off the road? 'Nuf said.
All good points. Hopefully by the end of the week we can get this all sorted out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I purposely stayed away from the 9 speed transmission when we bought our 2019 due to the many reliability reports and odd shifting issues. I believe all AWD models use the 9 speed and all the FWD models are the the 6 speed. So far I am quite pleased with the 6 speed FWD performance as there is no need for AWD where we live.

Reactions: OPTIMUS124

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
I purposely stayed away from the 9 speed transmission when we bought our 2019 due to the many reliability reports and odd shifting issues. I believe all AWD models use the 9 speed and all the FWD models are the the 6 speed. So far I am quite pleased with the 6 speed FWD performance as there is no need for AWD where we live.
Agree that the 9-spd shifts strangely on hills. With so many gears it's not unusual for it to drop down 2 or 3 gears. When I use the transmission to hold me back on a hill there is a huge gap between 5 and 4.

However, under other normal driving conditions it is very smooth, probably the smoothest a/t I've had. With that many gears there isn't much difference between the ratios like there would be in a 2-speed as in my '68 Impala, or a 3-speed as in my '78 Volare, or even the GM 4-speeds in several A-bodies I had.

So far it hasn't given me any trouble. That's the most important part. 45,000 miles. I'm even more concerned that I can go another 100,000 miles without trouble.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Agree that most people can be perfectly happy with just FWD and as long as you have good tires rarely will you ever encounter situations where it will matter in normal driving. FWD will tend to get better gas mileage. Maintenance on AWD is pretty minimal though I don't think that is worth consideration.

Just to be a technicality-tony I have to point out these don't have transfer cases. There is an optional power-takeoff unit (PTU) on the 9 speed transmissions that powers the propshaft to the rear differential. The design allows for having the 9 speed with FWD only but not sure Jeep sells any of them in that configuration. Either way, its not a transfer case. Technicality-tony out.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Agree that most people can be perfectly happy with just FWD and as long as you have good tires rarely will you ever encounter situations where it will matter in normal driving. FWD will tend to get better gas mileage. Maintenance on AWD is pretty minimal though I don't think that is worth consideration.

Just to be a technicality-tony I have to point out these don't have transfer cases. There is an optional power-takeoff unit (PTU) on the 9 speed transmissions that powers the propshaft to the rear differential. The design allows for having the 9 speed with FWD only but not sure Jeep sells any of them in that configuration. Either way, its not a transfer case. Technicality-tony out.
A rose by any other name . . . [Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet, Act II Scene 1]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
A rose by any other name . . . [Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet, Act II Scene 1]
A transfer case and a power take-off are not the same! 😆 There are major, important differences, that's all I'm saying. Terminology matters 😋

1 - 10 of 10 Posts