My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Backup Camera with Blank Screen ? Try This ...

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kdixon102955 
#1 ·
Since my last post in May 2022 (Cool weather = working Back-up Camera | My Jeep Compass Forum ) we have had no backup camera. but I think I may have stumbled on to something. Not sure what made me think of this, but I wondered if the camera would work with the hatchback open. So I got the wife to put the car in reverse, blank screen. Then I opened the hatch back, still blank screen. She then put it in park, waited a few seconds, then reverse with hatchback still open, and wow backup camera is now working. So far 2 weeks consistently. Yay 🙂

#3 ·
I think I'm experiencing this exact issue on my 2019 Jeep Compass MP Limited. I tried what you suggest with my daughter's assistance and got some interesting results. Start Jeep > Wait for alll systems boot > Shift into R > "Check your Surroundings" on black screen > foot on brake, liftgate open > camera turns ON, video of the trees and sky clear as day > still in R, shut liftgate > blank screen returns. No sequence I tried seemed to knock it back into the correct order. The camera always thinks the door is open when it's shut, but the radio believes we're all good. This sounds wiring related but I've completely dismantled the liftgate door and wiring harness, Deoxit and dielectric grease. The failure is too inconsistent to be wiring related. If anyone can provide any possible suggestions I'm all ears... well eyes. I'm aware of TSB 08-076-22. Feels like it should be a recall... not sure why it isn't. If I somehow missed the train for the OTA update which is supposed to have fixed this, I need to confirm that. I can't tell how to see what version or firmware my uconnect is currently running.

#4 ·
This certainly sounds peculiar, H4ramb3,

We can help confirm things on our end via PM if you'd like to send your VIN over. However, you can always check your software version by selecting Vehicle --> Settings --> System Information --> Version Information for the Uconnect 5 system.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#9 ·
I have the same issue with my daughters 2018 Jeep Compass. Works one day, doesn't work the next. Blank screen when putting car in reverse, then I open the tailgate and close it and the camera works again. Another time I opened the tailgate, placed a screwdriver under the gate so it didn't completely latch and the camera turned on. According to U-Connects website I have the latest version of firmware. HELP.

#10 ·
They will just tell you to take to the local dealership. So even though this problem is obviously rampant across the country (1 google search will show that), they want to keep making money. All we are asking for is a few DIY suggestions before we have to spend a ton on something that should be covered anyway.