My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I have a 2017 Jeep Compass. The control arm was recalled for 2018 Jeep Compass models. Apparently, some of the bad control arms are in the 2017 models.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I think this is the first I've heard of defective/recalled control arms for the 2nd gen compass, I would like to know more. Anybody have any links/references?

·
Registered
129 Posts
^you know you can get the recalls list on the mopar website with the VIN code?

What really makes me think and fascinates me, the amount of really serious issues for the 2nd gen compass!
Regarding, it's only a few years old, the number of major malfunctions reported only here on this forum is massive. Thumb rule says, much more frequently occurring in these last 3 years than for the all previous compass vehicles from the 1st gen 2007-2017, that's 10 years in proportion to 3. Absolutely unproportional!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
223 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
^you know you can get the recalls list on the mopar website with the VIN code?
I'm aware of the VIN checker but its of no use to me. Any actual recalls for my particular Compass I would receive by mail. There are no recalls for my 2017.5 model and there never have been. Most recalls are not a blanket/across the board thing. So its entirely possible that others have had recalls for control arms but I have not and looking up my own VIN won't help me find any info about it.

The NHTSA link from @georgef, on the other hand, was helpful. They do list the control arm as recalled but the number of units reported affected is only 2,761. This is basically what I was interested in knowing, whether the problem was widespread or not (and it appears it is certainly not). I feel bad for the unlucky OP but this is a very, very small number of affected cars compared to how many have been sold.

What really makes me think and fascinates me, the amount of really serious issues for the 2nd gen compass!
Regarding, it's only a few years old, the number of major malfunctions reported only here on this forum is massive. Thumb rule says, much more frequently occurring in these last 3 years than for the all previous compass vehicles from the 1st gen 2007-2017, that's 10 years in proportion to 3. Absolutely unproportional!!
I don't find it strange at all. This is a very, very well and long established pattern of FCA in how they produce vehicles. When they start selling any new model its not really ready/finished and they let the first few years worth of units go out to us early adopters who are the final testers. First 2-3 years they shake down bugs and major defects and by year 4+ it will be a pretty solid car, then if it continues to sell for an additional number of years making 10 years total production then right at the end is when the total number of issues with that model will finally look pretty low, averaged across a decade of production. The Renegade and KL Cherokee are both textbook examples of that pattern.

Not to mention, your claim that the number of major malfunctions reported is "massive" doesn't hold water when you look at the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of units that this model has sold and continues to sell. If we had one new complaint on the forum per day (we don't, but sometimes it feels that way) it still would pale in comparison to the hundreds being sold each day to happy customers.

Your perception of issues reported nowadays is skewed by how many more owners are capable of getting on a computer and posting about it here on the internet, which is a recent development in human history. People can complain louder and farther than ever before, reaching hundreds or thousands of people when not all that long ago if they had a problem with their new car nobody except their immediate family and friends would ever hear about it.

It all looks like business as usual to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts