My Jeep Compass Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Looks like that factory anti-theft system needs an update or some kind of fix, definitely not to be disabled.

Life with no alarm is so peaceful and happy. Battery doesn't die from sitting for a week, horn only ever goes off when I press the horn button on the steering wheel, metal key lets me in with no drama, wife can change her mind and hop out of the car at a gas station without setting off 60 seconds of honking. I'm never turning that cursed "feature" back on, nor will I re-enable the panic button that always gets pressed by accident in pockets and purses.

Its not like someone forcing their way into the car is going to be able to steal it. No fob = no go, there is no reaching up and grabbing a fistful of wires and hotwiring them together like in the movies (not on this car). On a smash and grab, if its gonna happen its gonna happen regardless of whether the alarm goes off, they're gonna smash your window and take your stuff, period.

Very easy to add an aftermarket alarm. Something programmable with predictable behavior, something you can bypass easily for camping by pulling a fuse or flipping a hidden switch. Even possible to do a silent alarm that doesn't have a siren but notifies you on your cell phone. If I lived or traveled in rougher areas I'd probably install something aftermarket. Things are pretty calm in my town of 400 people here, and you'd have to be pretty crazy to walk up to my car sitting in the driveway in the middle of the night and start smashing windows while I'm sleeping in the house a few feet away. Our security cameras cover the driveway 24/7. I don't generally leave valuables in the car.

My system (or lack thereof) works fine for me. In my own personal threat and risk assessment the cars rank very, very low on the list of concerns. The house, on the other hand, worries me a lot as its actually unattended way more often than our cars are, and unlike our cars there actually is stuff I care about being stolen in the house, so I've invested pretty heavily on cameras and security for the home.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, you are right. I'll need to pay more attention to it, since my car is mostly in a garage that belongs to unattached single house, therefore always fully unlocked as garage is locked. It'd be a completely different story if I need to park it constantly overnight somewhere outside among highly packed building blocks...
It would be interesting seeing a list of all power consuming connections while jeep is locked and idle. That remote always scanning anti-theft system waiting for a pressed key-fob, would be a number one to check. Maybe it is possible somehow to reduce its range and to make some power savings to the battery, hm?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi @asakaze , thanks for reaching out to our JeepCares team and ensuring that this was brought to our attention. As we consistently monitor social sites, we compile reports to make the appropriate departments aware. I can assure you that this concern has been noted. In the meantime, if anyone would like additional support while working alongside their dealers to get this addressed, please feel free to send our team a private message! Have an awesome day, everyone!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Might be worth mentioning, if it makes anybody feel any better, that my folks have replaced the battery on their 2016 Honda CRV twice since the covid pandemic started and work-from-home became a regular thing for them. Once in May, and once last month. Their CRV has the connected cellular services with remote start from the phone app and GPS "find my car" and all that, and they are having very similar issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most car batteries are designed for short high current events to start the engine and then let the alternator take over...not for being drawn down and siting in a significantly discharged state. Over time this will lead to a reduction in capacity and eventual failure. So unfortunately if a vehicle is repeatedly left for long periods of time without recharging, even a new battery can be permanently damaged. The battery appears to take a charge but when required to deliver the high starting current, fails the job.

Trickle chargers are one solution however use over longer periods of time they can also cause battery issues. The best way to preserve your batteries is to drive the vehicle on a frequent basis (at least every one to two weeks) and make sure the battery is not discharging to a low level if it is siting. I use an inexpensive LED plug-in cigarette lighter voltmeter on our classic car to check if it needs a charge. Anything below about 12.3 volts gets either a drive or a charge. Of course don't leave it plugged in or it will add to the problem. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Same problem. My Jeep Compass is 2018 and I have already changed my batteries 4 times. The dealer replaces the battery every time but I think the problem is somewhere else. That could be an issue for that model.
Hey, manuela. If you're currently experiencing concerns with your Jeep battery that our team can look into, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

41 - 46 of 46 Posts