My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Battery Issues?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  KarylieAnne 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m new to this discussion and apologize if someone has already brought it up. I own a 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawke (love it to pieces). I’m the second owner of the vehicle (I’ve had it for 2 years now), and only just now coming across issues. Last week I had to have both of the batteries replaced and all seemed right however, the battery light came on yesterday and today with a message saying “Stop Safely. Vehicle will shut off soon”. When I got the batteries fixed, they ran a test to see if it was anything else, and it wasn’t showing that it was. I’m wondering if anyone has had this happen to them? Is this an alternator problem? I don’t know if this matters, but it has 65k miles on it.
Looking for any tips/advice that I should be aware of. Thank you!
Speedometer Light Gauge Automotive design Steering part

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello! If this concern continues, we would recommend a dealership visit. If you need support while there, you can certainly let us know by sending a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#4 ·
Check the oil. Make sure it's completely full.
2017 there were two different versions of the Compass, 1st Generation and 2nd Generation. I'm not sure if they both used the same engine but I think so. The 2nd Generation definitely had an issue of using oil and then shutting down when it gets low.

#5 ·
Check the oil. Make sure it's completely full.
2017 there were two different versions of the Compass, 1st Generation and 2nd Generation. I'm not sure if they both used the same engine but I think so. The 2nd Generation definitely had an issue of using oil and then shutting down when it gets low.
The engines were the same displacement, but the 2nd generation (Tigershark version) have a different head that increases the power by a dozen HP. One of the problems with the early Tigersharks was the oil consumption, but it didn't give any warnning, it just quit where it was because without enough oil the valves couldn't function. (There was a recall to fix the oil consumption problem.) So I think the warning that @KarylieAnne is getting is about a different problem. However, I don't have a solution for her.

#6 ·
Thank you all for the advice and input on the matter. I ended up taking it to my mechanic where I learned that the bolts that were used to re-install the batteries were too big/long and were causing the issues. I had taken it to O’Reilly’s for the battery change, since I didn’t know how to do that myself. Going forward, I now know how to install my own batteries 🤘🏼thank goodness for it being a simple fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.