My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a ton of threads about battery issues and the ESS, but I couldn't find any helpful info on what battery to buy to replace my main battery.

Our jeep is on the other side of the ocean, dead and friends need to move it. Looking for some help on which battery to get.

There are a ton "w/o Start-Stop", but from my limited knowledge (first vehicle with ESS) the little auxiliary battery controls that. If our Compass is equipped with Start-Stop do I need the main battery to be that type?

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Welcome! I can't answer your question, but I agree the start/stop system is a weak link in the chain.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If you have ESS/stop start then you have two batteries. In some countries/powertrain configurations they don't have ESS, but all the north American models do have it.

If you have ESS/dual battery then the larger cranking battery is slightly smaller to accommodate space for the aux battery. Hence why the battery websites show you with or without ESS/stop start.

It's pretty straightforward, if you know you have ESS then you obviously need one of the ones that says "with stop/start". You also almost for sure need to change the aux battery at the same time. that is a "BCI group 400" size battery.

If you don't replace them both together you are asking for trouble. Car is probably going to give them troubles anyways, you really can't allow these cars to run dead they can get screwed up beyond all belief. Jeep inexplicably expects power to be present for the entire life of the vehicle (memory saver unit to be used during battery changes). Without power the computers seem to have the potential to get into weird states, quit talking to each other, etc. It's probably too late for your car but still, change both batteries together.

If it's not super dead they should be able to simply jump start it, but the trick there is needing to jumper the power control relay (PCR). I posted about that very recently, with photo:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have ESS/stop start then you have two batteries. In some countries/powertrain configurations they don't have ESS, but all the north American models do have it.

If you have ESS/dual battery then the larger cranking battery is slightly smaller to accommodate space for the aux battery. Hence why the battery websites show you with or without ESS/stop start.

It's pretty straightforward, if you know you have ESS then you obviously need one of the ones that says "with stop/start". You also almost for sure need to change the aux battery at the same time. that is a "BCI group 400" size battery.

If you don't replace them both together you are asking for trouble. Car is probably going to give them troubles anyways, you really can't allow these cars to run dead they can get screwed up beyond all belief. Jeep inexplicably expects power to be present for the entire life of the vehicle (memory saver unit to be used during battery changes). Without power the computers seem to have the potential to get into weird states, quit talking to each other, etc. It's probably too late for your car but still, change both batteries together.

If it's not super dead they should be able to simply jump start it, but the trick there is needing to jumper the power control relay (PCR). I posted about that very recently, with photo:

Thanks for the reply! It's interesting that there aren't more options for batteries. Napa had 1 with the start stop option vs 7 or 8 without. Jeep is completely dead. Friends said they tried jumping it / charging it for 20 min and eventually got the lights to come on, but not crank. I'll plan to tell them to buy the smaller battery as well and swap them both out. Jeep is a 2020, batteries are not covered under our warranty are they?

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
244 Posts
You should try. Our local dealership is very good on taking of its Customers. Bumper to bumper?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Jeep is a 2020, batteries are not covered under our warranty are they?
In the United States, they are covered with conditions. I would try, since batteries aren't cheap.

Thanks for the reply! It's interesting that there aren't more options for batteries. Napa had 1 with the start stop option vs 7 or 8 without.
It just depends. Other places like Batteries Plus Bulbs have more options. What I find weird is that the online auto stores never list or tell you about the smaller aux battery.

Jeep is completely dead. Friends said they tried jumping it / charging it for 20 min and eventually got the lights to come on, but not crank.
Its probably because they didn't know about the PCR and needing to jump it. (either that or the computers went screwy like I said) You basically have to jumpstart BOTH batteries, but most people see the one big battery and look past the small aux battery right in front of it. The small one is more important I believe in getting the car's computer system online, the bigger one is more or less only used to crank the motor over. So jump starting only the big battery often doesn't work. That other post I linked shows jumpering the PCR but should be done with as heavy a gauge of wire as possible. Actually in a pinch you could probably take the nuts off the terminals of the PCR and screw both cables down on one of the terminals to bridge them together and bypass the relay, then just jumper cables to the big battery as usual, get it running and moved, then put those cables back where they are supposed to go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm also looking to get a replacement, way too many UConnect and S/S issues :( . The one without SS is longer and would end up where the small battery is. Look for a Group 47/H5 battery with Start/Stop and measures 7.5H x 6.875W x 9.5625L. . According to NAPA's website, they are both the same size. Looks like 9847 has 600CCA/690CA and seems to be the correct one. The 8447 info must be a typo and is likely a Group 48/H6 having 650CCA/800CA when comparing other battery brands, those CCA/CA correlate to the longer 11" battery.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
299 Posts
At some point the ESS became standard in the US, but it was an option on the Sport model until at least 2020.

This is from the 2020 brochure:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow-Up! Was able to get BOTH batteries replaced at Dealer under warranty, so that's awesome.

Only issue so far is the Jeep horn honks twice when you open or shut a door with that has the passive entry system.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but can be damn annoying when you exit (honk honk) shut down (honk honk) then lock with keyfob (honk). 5 freaking honks!

Was going to take it back in but now they're booked out a month for appointments. Anyone know if there is a jeep number to call for these kinds of questions? Seems like something that may be an easy fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow-up on my follow-up in case someone else comes across the same thing. The double horn sound comes from the add-on security alarm that the jeep dealer put on. So our jeep is equipped with this little blinking blue light under the dash below the steering wheel. I was able to find one one of the RAM forums someone who had something similar and this was the fix:
  1. Open the drivers door and make sure the dome light is on.
  2. Push the ignition button to run (but don't start it)
  3. Push the ignition button to off
  4. Push the button on the blue led light three times,
    1. The horn should honk letting you know its been disabled
All is good!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Follow-up on my follow-up in case someone else comes across the same thing. The double horn sound comes from the add-on security alarm that the jeep dealer put on. So our jeep is equipped with this little blinking blue light under the dash below the steering wheel. I was able to find one one of the RAM forums someone who had something similar and this was the fix:
  1. Open the drivers door and make sure the dome light is on.
  2. Push the ignition button to run (but don't start it)
  3. Push the ignition button to off
  4. Push the button on the blue led light three times,
    1. The horn should honk letting you know its been disabled
All is good!
My guess is when the batteries were disconnected, on power, no memory, the add on alarm defaulted to the factory settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My guess is when the batteries were disconnected, on power, no memory, the add on alarm defaulted to the factory settings.
I'm with you for sure. I'm just surprised the dealer wouldn't have that as a simple checklist item after replacing the battery. "IF vehicle equipped w/ security alarm, THEN..." but oh well, I'm happy now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts