My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this issue ? Just picked up my new 2018 Compass Altitude last Thursday, a mile away from the dealership battery light pops on with a battery system warning screen then another message that some items will power off to save battery. I had 2 long test drives prior to purchase with no issues. The radio has then cut off with this warning. The warning has not come on for the last 2 days though. I am planning to take it in to get checked out but just curious if anyone has had this problem and what happened? I had a 2015 renegade plagued with problems and swore I'd never get another jeep again but decided to give a second chance and now I'm having buyer's remorse with another brand new car with issues : (

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how I felt with my Renegade...I have no clue why I bought another Jeep after that disaster. I'm just hoping the issue with the Compass doesn't come back again. With the Rene I'd have 1 thing fixed then half dozen other problems pop up so I'm actually afraid to take it in. I haven't seen the warnings pop up in 3 days now so maybe I'm good for now but I feel like an idiot for buying another : (

·
Registered
265 Posts
Other than the 30-40 MPH rumble our 2018 Trailhawk has been pretty solid. We did have like 3 times a message come up saying start stop was not available because of aux battery not being charged sufficiently. This was a while ago and seems to be an issue every now and then with these Jeeps. I would certainly run it in and have them look at it there have been a few that needed battery replacement. I think how long the puppies sit on the lot not being ran causes some issues like this. These thing have some degree of current draw even while off my guess a chunk of it is from pinging to see if the key fob is near it so it can unlock the doors.

Anyhow we still love our Compass but with all the craziness built into these things if we still love it next year we will buy the lifetime warranty with the $200 deductible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do love the Compass, it drives smooth and very comfortable, and I love the upgraded dash design. My husband was following the amps on the battery display and he's noticed it's raised up from when we first got it so maybe it is a charging issue after sitting on the lot. I'm leasing mine so I won't need to worry about the extra warranty but after all the problems I saw with my Renegade and now possibly the compass I'd say buy the extra warranty too! Hopefully no more issues because I really do like the car!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Jeep Compass and Jeep Renegade models are nothing more than a Fiat 500. The Renegade and Compass are not real Jeeps. Think about it - FCA simply redesigned the exterior of a Fiat 500, which is a car utilizing 20 year architecture, placed a Jeep nameplate on the car and fooled the car buying public. Sure, the Compass is a pretty little car but, seriously, it is not a Jeep. Once you get around 15,000 miles on the car you will start hearing all sorts of squeaks and rattles, body knocks and brakes that squeal worse than a newborn pig. Throw in the oil consumption issues, the electrical issues and all sorts of other strange things, will you even consider taking this car off road? Probably not. You have been duped. Next time, buy a real Jeep: Wrangler, Grand Cherokee or a Cherokee.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Jeep Compass and Jeep Renegade models are nothing more than a Fiat 500. The Renegade and Compass are not real Jeeps. Think about it - FCA simply redesigned the exterior of a Fiat 500, which is a car utilizing 20 year architecture, placed a Jeep nameplate on the car and fooled the car buying public. Sure, the Compass is a pretty little car but, seriously, it is not a Jeep. Once you get around 15,000 miles on the car you will start hearing all sorts of squeaks and rattles, body knocks and brakes that squeal worse than a newborn pig. Throw in the oil consumption issues, the electrical issues and all sorts of other strange things, will you even consider taking this car off road? Probably not. You have been duped. Next time, buy a real Jeep: Wrangler, Grand Cherokee or a Cherokee.
Lol what is a real Jeep? This arguments is flawed to start with. There is no real jeeps since AMC got bankrupt.

What is so bad about Fiat 500? Looks? Well Renegade and Compass doesn't look like it for sure. How many more thread are you going to write this, just checked your comment history and this is 95% of what you talk about here, nobody cares dude lol. All jeeps today are made by Fiat. Even jeep Wrangler is a Fiat made car with more than 70% of the parts is shared with other Fiat cars. And before Fiat, when Daimler had Jeep, their cars were based on striped down Mercedes cars and trucks.

Plus that Fiat brand you are looking down is probably better than any US based car manufacturer aside from Ford. They also produce Alfa Romeo, Maserati and until recently Ferrari. There is a reason why Jeep got bankrupt 4 times and got bought out by 3 different companies while Fiat stayed with its original ownership.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You're an idiot, you must not know to much of Mopars and their impeccable build quality being a 30 year employee with all the behind the scene knowledge that you've acquired

·
Registered
51 Posts
You're an idiot, you must not know to much of Mopars and their impeccable build quality being a 30 year employee with all the behind the scene knowledge that you've acquired

Agree, this guy and a few other whiners were fun for a while. But when they keep posting under the guise of "I'm trying to help others" it only adds to the clutter with ZERO benefit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lol what is a real Jeep? This arguments is flawed to start with. There is no real jeeps since AMC got bankrupt.

What is so bad about Fiat 500? Looks? Well Renegade and Compass doesn't look like it for sure. How many more thread are you going to write this, just checked your comment history and this is 95% of what you talk about here, nobody cares dude lol. All jeeps today are made by Fiat. Even jeep Wrangler is a Fiat made car with more than 70% of the parts is shared with other Fiat cars. And before Fiat, when Daimler had Jeep, their cars were based on striped down Mercedes cars and trucks.

Plus that Fiat brand you are looking down is probably better than any US based car manufacturer aside from Ford. They also produce Alfa Romeo, Maserati and until recently Ferrari. There is a reason why Jeep got bankrupt 4 times and got bought out by 3 different companies while Fiat stayed with its original ownership.
AMC did not go bankrupt. They were purchased by Chrysler in 1988.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am entitled to my opinion as are you but, resulting in name calling just shows your inbred mentality. Now, before you get your panties in a twist, you may wish to revise your Mopar quality comment. FCA / Chrysler / DaimlerChrysler vehicles are always dead last in JD Power quality lists. And from my seat, with the behind the scene knowledge I have acquired over the years, as you so eloquently pointed out, it saddens me Chrysler vehicles are always rated poorly. While the Ram, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee gain in quality, FCA has failed miserably with the Compass, Renegade and recently discontinued Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200. Both of which were the first two cars designed with Fiat technology.

Additionally, some claim parts used in all FCA cars are Fiat driven. Sadly, this is not correct. Parts sourced by automakers are from a wealth of suppliers all over the globe. Seats in a BMW are made by the same seat supplier supplying seats to GM, Ford and FCA, for example.

So, perhaps, in your clouded eyes I am an idiot. We could debate FCA quality and history for hours but, in the end, my "idiot knowledge" will only embarrass you.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Dude...where did you go to school? Did you even graduate? Your writing is that of a third grader. You say, "There is no real jeeps since AMC got bankrupt". How does a company got bankrupt?

Before you address anyone by Dude, you may wish to learn how to communicate properly to be taken seriously. Until then, I will use my advanced brain power to simply ignore your juvenile comments. Yes, you have been owned.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes, you have been owned.

Ahaha yeah sure sure, I am sure you understood what I meant but you backpedaled very well, I am impressed with that. Whenever someone is wrong about something on the internet, they try to switch the subject to something else. You should use you advance brain power to not do this as obviously. Also go an read why AMC got acquired by Chrysler.

Fun fact, did you know Jeep Compass is not a real Jeep but actually a Fiat 500??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
You're still and idiot, so much so you cant even identify sarcasm in a post. I'm not not the least worried about debating you or anyone else, the only person that should be embarrassed in this conversation is you but you're too ignorant to realize it so you double down on stupid

I am entitled to my opinion as are you but, resulting in name calling just shows your inbred mentality. Now, before you get your panties in a twist, you may wish to revise your Mopar quality comment. FCA / Chrysler / DaimlerChrysler vehicles are always dead last in JD Power quality lists. And from my seat, with the behind the scene knowledge I have acquired over the years, as you so eloquently pointed out, it saddens me Chrysler vehicles are always rated poorly. While the Ram, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee gain in quality, FCA has failed miserably with the Compass, Renegade and recently discontinued Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200. Both of which were the first two cars designed with Fiat technology.

Additionally, some claim parts used in all FCA cars are Fiat driven. Sadly, this is not correct. Parts sourced by automakers are from a wealth of suppliers all over the globe. Seats in a BMW are made by the same seat supplier supplying seats to GM, Ford and FCA, for example.

So, perhaps, in your clouded eyes I am an idiot. We could debate FCA quality and history for hours but, in the end, my "idiot knowledge" will only embarrass you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don’t agree at all. The Jeep Compass is a very solid strong vehicle. 2 years old now and it a very comfortable vehicle. 25 k now and yes It just started oil consumption, and I had a battery issue. However my Jeep service dealer has informed me it actually is not all that strange to use oil. I’ve talked to another repair shop and found there are multiple brand new American built vehicles having this issue the last few years, even brand new 70k BMW’s have this issue. Am I upset at all of a sudden oil usage, yes I am. But the vehicle is a mini me Cherokee, no where near a fiat 500. I will carry oil once the oil consumption testing is taken care of if that’s what I need to do. Chrysler- Fiat will fix the engine design as will the other manufacturer’s who have this issue. This is a very solid vehicle design and a great riding vehicle to boot.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
Don’t agree at all. The Jeep Compass is a very solid strong vehicle. 2 years old now and it a very comfortable vehicle. 25 k now and yes It just started oil consumption, and I had a battery issue. However my Jeep service dealer has informed me it actually is not all that strange to use oil. I’ve talked to another repair shop and found there are multiple brand new American built vehicles having this issue the last few years, even brand new 70k BMW’s have this issue. Am I upset at all of a sudden oil usage, yes I am. But the vehicle is a mini me Cherokee, no where near a fiat 500. I will carry oil once the oil consumption testing is taken care of if that’s what I need to do. Chrysler- Fiat will fix the engine design as will the other manufacturer’s who have this issue. This is a very solid vehicle design and a great riding vehicle to boot.
At last, someone else who isn't in a panic over this. Fortunately my 2019 Compass is doing fine; my 2018 Compass was around 3000/qt but I could live with it and actually it was improving. (Unfortunately my 2018 was lost in a wreck).

I figure even at 3000/qt I could get the oil changed at 5,000 miles and I added a quart I would be down less than a quart at my oil change so I would only have to add a quart every 5,000 miles. So I'd be buying a case of oil or maybe two over the life of the vehicle. It wasn't the end of the world. Judging by my 2019 Compass maybe they have addressed the issue. The complaints I'm seeing on here are mostly 2017s & 2018s.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is a well known fact the Jeep Compass shares the same platform as the Fiat 500. The Fiat 500L and 500X are also built off the same platform. While the Compass has the styling cues to look like a mini Grand Cherokee, that is where the similarities end. The Jeep Compass issues are found in the underpowered 2.4L equipped with the ZF nine speed transmission. Additionally, the vehicle does not have the NVH designs it's bigger brothers have. Simply put, the Compass is not a Jeep from the same stable the Wrangler, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee come from. FCA failed miserably trying to create a small Jeep SUV. DaimlerChrysler also failed with the first generation Compass. While you claim the Jeep Compass is as a solid vehicle, I have to believe your expectations are low or your wallet prevents you from buying a real Jeep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 Jeep Compass limited battery died. The service can and charged the battery, it was dead by morning. We had the roadside service again to try and charge the battery so we could get a new battery. The battery will not take a charge. Anyone have any thoughts as to what may be happening?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts