My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Compass out to the freeway early this morning to bed the brakes. Went through six cycles of rapid decel from 60-15 mph but couldn't get any noticeable fade or lining stench. This despite having tiny little drums out back.

I did get some chirpies and a slight pull to the right. I'm going to check this afternoon, and hope to see some brake lining material on my rotors. Otherwise I'll have to do it again lol.

:spinning:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Depends on the pads as well. Ceramic pads were best to use especially on the rear. Since the OEM pads always squealed first thing morning backing up. Maybe they've fixed that now but. I switch to ceramic pads or Wagner Quiet pads which I believer are also ceramic. I am not sure now.

Ceramic won't give you the burning smell you typically got from a cheaper metallic pad which may have asbestos or some other components in the material which burns and may glaze over time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Depends on the pads as well. Ceramic pads were best to use especially on the rear. Since the OEM pads always squealed first thing morning backing up. Maybe they've fixed that now but. I switch to ceramic pads or Wagner Quiet pads which I believer are also ceramic. I am not sure now.
Not fixed as of 2014 as mine squeaks every morning after backing up. Bean counters at Chrysler use inferior materials to save a penny and they hurt the brand name :dunno:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, mine are just the stock pads that come with the car. I did a second session of bedding last night. This time there was definitely fade in the rear drum brakes, so the ABS system was struggling to keep up and the Compass would shrug to the right under hard braking. Still no fade in the front.

However, I do have the nice blue hue I was looking for on the rotors, and there is an even coating of pad material. So far, so good.

The pedal feels better now, and so far no squeaking or squealing. Just some funny chirping last night when as the ABS kicked in in "freak out" mode lol.

Through it all I got 28 mpg combined hwy/city. Woo hoo!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

Through it all I got 28 mpg combined hwy/city. Woo hoo!
You must have been doing that on a steep downhill with a tail wind !!!

LOL

Enjoy the MPG few get that. Unless going as above with no brakes. Ha ha

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had squeaking on mine as well but I got 15K miles now so no squeaking plus the breaks are good still. I Even get around 300-330miles to my tank so that's 22-24 MPG and I have a lift and larger triers 235/65/17. Soon getting 15" wheels with 235/75/R15 when I move to Alaska in the next 3 months

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"You must have been doing that on a steep downhill with a tail wind !!!"

I think it's all down to the five-speed. Everyone with the slushbox complains about mileage not living up to specs, so I avoided that option -- and saved lots of money, too.

I'll do some more accurate testing once the engine is broken in, but for now the gas mileage is spot on. I can usually "beat" the sticker with a stick. This engine is tough, though since it's like a motorcycle lump (no power until 3k rpm lol). It's hard to keep the revs down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts