My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is everyone using to hold/mount their phones? Looking for an option that looks clean. Really would prefer not drilling/sticky-padding, but would consider if it's sturdy and looks decent.

Just curious before I buy 6 different ones on Amazon and return them all. 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Side note, my trailhawk has Android Auto, so I really don't need to mount the phone in a convenient spot. Just something so it isn't flopping around in a cupholder or laying on the passenger seat.

Registered
I am still looking for a solution to this problem as well. I still haven't seen any satisfactory store-bought products (not that I search every day). I think something out of the 3D printer is the route I will go whenever I get the free time to tinker. Lately I've been favoring the idea of some kind of phone pocket that would build up out of the mini storage space here:

Would aim to use that small hole under the rubber flap to anchor it, and create a pocket rising out of that space with a large slot to hopefully fit most phones with allowance for a thick phone with a case.

Same as you it is not important to me to be able to actually see the phone screen since we have android auto, so I would drop my phone in upside down and just use a super short cord like this right into the USB port next to the pocket and call it good:

That little space is a weird shape so I'm not looking forward to trying to create a model that fits halfway decent, will probably be a fair amount of trial and error just to get a good fitting base down. Then to make the pocket tower is simple enough but to also make it look reasonably good will take more effort. I don't just want a plastic slotted rectangle after all so will have to try to do some kind of shaping that makes sense. It won't hopefully be too tall, 3-4 inches of pocket depth for the phone should be plenty to keep it in place I would think but there again will take trial and error.

I just ordered some matte black filament and a new printer, its been a struggle to keep my current printer working seems like I tinker with the printer more than I get any useful parts so hopefully that will change here and I can give this project a whirl sometime soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
That little pocket you're talking about is so pointless. I have no idea why they left it there at all, it really holds nothing.

I like your idea, but I think it's going to be more work than it's worth.

Registered
You might be right but I am a glutton for punishment.

This Compass is our road trip car, thousands and thousands of miles we have driven in it using android auto for navigation and the phone wandering around the cab on a three foot cord with no good place to put it. With enough cord it can go into the storage under the arm rest but the GPS gets poor signal in there. It can sit on the seat against my thigh but it gets pretty toasty and uncomfortable for both me and the phone. Cupholders are being used for our actual beverages so the phone can't go there. Tried throwing it on the dash once but it slid around and got cooked by the sun.

It may be more trouble than its worth now, as in now that I have already driven 1/3 to 1/2 of all the miles I will likely ever put on it... I had this idea back when it still had the dealership plates on it, right out of the gate in the first few miles. Now its going on 50k and I sure wish I would have gotten it done, many miles it would have been awful nice to have. Live and learn I guess.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk
I ran into this the other day trying to figure out a good place for my phone, seems like it's supposed to just hook onto the little lip of the shifter panel. Not clear if it will work with our North American Selec-Terrain models through.

Registered
How about this? A phone holder, which inserts into ventilation grill, is rather popular now...
DSC_2511.JPG

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I ran into this the other day trying to figure out a good place for my phone, seems like it's supposed to just hook onto the little lip of the shifter panel. Not clear if it will work with our North American Selec-Terrain models through.

That would be perfect honestly. It doesn't look like it was made to fit our cars though. That section looks different enough where it probably won't work.

Registered
My issue with the one pnw shared (regardless of whether that particular one fits) is that my primary passenger (my wife) will veto anything protruding into the already limited space over there. The person riding shotgun on our road trips has enough stuff to juggle with the snacks and their own phone and tablet or book or whatever. And we are small people vs the average american but we all know there is not a lot of extra space in this crossover.

I don't trust vent-based holders, our current phones are way too heavy and I don't enjoy having broken vents. My previous phone was light as a feather but my current one is a hefty chonker, over half a pound with the case, I'm not going to bounce that baby on the spindly little vent louvers. Also I actually use the vents, all of them, so for me blocking them off with my phone is a no-go. Thats just me though, I'm picky.

Registered
2019 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
Obviously preference rules here.. With the addition of the 4x4, you lose storage space that is right in front of the shifter, which, would have seemingly been a great place to stash your phone.

Back to preference, I love my magnetic charging and yes I have a magnetic holder 馃槸... I make that work by placing the metal plate at the bottom of my phone, as to not interfere with the magnetic charging 馃槑. So that means I need a very strong solid base to hold the weight of the phone from the bottom and that has some contouring to fit in goofy places on the dash.

I live in AZ and taking up vent real estate isn鈥檛 a choice I wanted to make. I hate ruining the great dish lines or limiting my visibility in my Compass. so I chose this magnetic phone holder because (once I used an adhesion promoter pad), it stuck like a dream and has yet to budge. Did the same in my 200c and it lasted the few years till I traded it for my compass (in the AZ summers), sticky stuff gone and damage free.

Long a** story but it鈥檚 mine and it鈥檚 at least another option to consider...So, here鈥檚 the link:

Sticky base Magnetic phone holder

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously preference rules here.. With the addition of the 4x4, you lose storage space that is right in front of the shifter, which, would have seemingly been a great place to stash your phone.

Back to preference, I love my magnetic charging and yes I have a magnetic holder 馃槸... I make that work by placing the metal plate at the bottom of my phone, as to not interfere with the magnetic charging 馃槑. So that means I need a very strong solid base to hold the weight of the phone from the bottom and that has some contouring to fit in goofy places on the dash.

I live in AZ and taking up vent real estate isn鈥檛 a choice I wanted to make. I hate ruining the great dish lines or limiting my visibility in my Compass. so I chose this magnetic phone holder because (once I used an adhesion promoter pad), it stuck like a dream and has yet to budge. Did the same in my 200c and it lasted the few years till I traded it for my compass (in the AZ summers), sticky stuff gone and damage free.

Long a** story but it鈥檚 mine and it鈥檚 at least another option to consider...So, here鈥檚 the link:

Sticky base Magnetic phone holder
Where did you mount it?

Registered
2019 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
Where did you mount it?
After a large deliberation with trial and error, the rolling the bones and have consulted with the gods, I have finally arrived at the conclusion that destroying my Compass鈥 dash lines was the appropriate action to take in preservation of good airflow and sight-line to the 8.5鈥 screen.. 馃槣馃ぃ馃ぃ馃う鈥嶁檧锔

6A705081-EFC5-45C1-A19E-D02E0F782B1D.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i ordered the gear shift box from ebay that pnw mentioned... i'll let you guys know if it fits or not. I figured it was $20 worth spending if it actually works. I love that i can use a simple 1ft cord and not have a cord hanging from my console onto the floor

Registered
What is everyone using to hold/mount their phones? Looking for an option that looks clean. Really would prefer not drilling/sticky-padding, but would consider if it's sturdy and looks decent.

Check out the Weather Tech Cup

Check out a WeatherTech product called CupFone Holder

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
As promised, here's pics of the eBay cup that pnw found and I ordered. Took a while to come in from China, but I'm happy with it.

Fit is perfect in the car, it doesn't interfere with the passenger side seat space at all, and it holds a Pixel 3aXL. Works for me.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts