My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if anyone has put BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's on their Trailhawk?

I have Falken 215/65R17 99S on now. Apparently the KO2's don't come in 17" sizes.

I saw these on a Compass but the size was 215/70R16 100/97R.

Wondering if I should downsize to 16" steel wheels for the winter?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just curious if anyone has put BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's on their Trailhawk?

I have Falken 215/65R17 99S on now. Apparently they don't come in 17" sizes.

I saw these on a Compass but the size was 215/70R16 100/97R.

Wondering if I should downsize to 16" steel wheels for the winter?

I saw the KO2 tires in the 225/65-17 size that is .5 inches taller than the stock Trailhawk tire which should fit fine. But the weight of them turned me off at 39 lbs each. The stock 215/65-17 Wildpeak weighs just 27 lbs. I feel like so much added weight in the tires would really drop MPG around town and in the mountains and eat up some acceleration as well. Plus the heavy ply on the Compass would likely ride like a wooden wheeled wagon. I have not seen them in a lighter ply/weight tire in this size. I don't know what the size your talking about weighs but you might check that.

I started to wonder if there is any reason a 16" rim would not fit the Trailhawk it might make tire shopping a lot easier though. LOL

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=265SR7KO2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
You guys be happy you don't have the 18 inch rims :p AT tire sizes are REALLY limited then! I won't give up the 18's though they look so nice. The G015 Geolandars from Yokahama are about the best I am going to get (and probably most appropriate for this car and how I use it).

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
You guys be happy you don't have the 18 inch rims :p AT tire sizes are REALLY limited then! I won't give up the 18's though they look so nice. The G015 Geolandars from Yokahama are about the best I am going to get (and probably most appropriate for this car and how I use it).

I am running this same tire on our Suburban for like 2 years now and I have been more happy with them than I thought I would be since it had General Grabber AT2s on it before these and the only real difference I can tell is that these tires are wearing better. They have done a job in snow,off road and wet conditions!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually change over to snow tires every year on either Oct 31 or Nov 1.
I want to get the OEM alloys off before the salt is dumped on the roads too, and get the "steelies" on!
(When I sold my last vehicle, after 8 years, the OEM alloy wheels looked like new! They had never seen salt or snow! Someone got a good car)

Right now I'm probably going to go down 1 size, to 16" wheels, and I'm looking at the KO2's or the Nokian Hakkapellita R2's

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can check with Member https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/members/drdirt200.html
He has them on his Trailhawk. Have to say they look good.

I have been looking these for when I need to replace the current tires.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+All+Terrain+Plus&partnum=265HR7SATP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I’ve been looking at this same size: 225/65/R17, but will it void warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I usually change over to snow tires every year on either Oct 31 or Nov 1.
I want to get the OEM alloys off before the salt is dumped on the roads too, and get the "steelies" on!
(When I sold my last vehicle, after 8 years, the OEM alloy wheels looked like new! They had never seen salt or snow! Someone got a good car)

Right now I'm probably going to go down 1 size, to 16" wheels, and I'm looking at the KO2's or the Nokian Hakkapellita R2's
will the 16" fit?
the rotors look snug on my 17's

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah I looked at the Pirelli tire as well the weight is good on them and the look like they would perform all around better than the Wildpeak. I'm not doing anything till the stockers wear out so I have lots of time to tire shop! :)

I am also thinking about replacing the stock tires for 225/65/R17. This one below is a photo of a Compass with these size of tires. I circled in green the point where the possible rubbing is most critical. Anyone knows what is this distance?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Its not hard to check yourself, the 225/65/17 is about an inch larger than stock. Take a tape measure and measure the new correct distance off the tire and. with the same tape measure see how much distance is left to the fender well. I'll wager without even measuring you'll have around 3/4" of clearance still with a 225/65/17

I am also thinking about replacing the stock tires for 225/65/R17. This one below is a photo of a Compass with these size of tires. I circled in green the point where the possible rubbing is most critical. Anyone knows what is this distance?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its not hard to check yourself, the 225/65/17 is about an inch larger than stock. Take a tape measure and measure the new correct distance off the tire and. with the same tape measure see how much distance is left to the fender well. I'll wager without even measuring you'll have around 3/4" of clearance still with a 225/65/17

I understand that with 225/65/R17 tires there will be 3/4” gap left although if you check behind the fender well, there is a protrusion of the plastic that covers the well inside that worries me a bit because in that point, there will be 1/2” of separation at the most. In any case, my concern is if that 3/4” or 1/2” is enough when for example hitting a bump on the road. Is there a standard minimum separation for no rubbing?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Standard min would be up to you, some people will say if it clears it clears and others would want a min of 1/2"

I understand that with 225/65/R17 tires there will be 3/4” gap left although if you check behind the fender well, there is a protrusion of the plastic that covers the well inside that worries me a bit because in that point, there will be 1/2” of separation at the most. In any case, my concern is if that 3/4” or 1/2” is enough when for example hitting a bump on the road. Is there a standard minimum separation for no rubbing?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts