My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have spotted this weird thing where if I indicate Left, the indicator flashes left, If I indicate right, it blinks one left and then starts flashing right!

My other half was following me and she said she noticed it too, so bit odd.

All the VWs I have ever had the indicator stalk effectively earths the flasher relay to the relavent side of lights, this feels like thats not how this Jeep works.
mines a 2011 Compass, so newer.

What does your newer jeep do?

·
1,041 Posts
I've never checked that on either of my Patriots or either of my Compasses. However, I can't imagine its supposed to do that. All I can think of is a basketball player who "fakes left and goes right." He of course wants to confuse the other players; you don't want to do that on the roads!

I did have a utility trailer that when I applied the brakes all the lights went out. The lights all checked out OK one at a time when I did my driveway inspection. Like you, my Wife was following me and brought it to my attention. Better Her than the boys in blue.

Mine turned out to be a grounding problem as you suspect your is. Its much easier to find an electrical problem on a trailer than in a vehicle. Good luck and when you find the problem please post for the benefit of others. That's why we're here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Months on I still havent gotten to the bottom of this, I kind of need some sort of wiring diagram to understand how the indicator system works properly, I have one repair manual, but it doesnt make much sense.

In all the old VWs I have ever had, essentially power goes to the flasher relay but then the indicator stalk connects the relay to the relevant side of the vehicle and the lamps make the ground point.

In the Jeep the way its acting is like the switch turns power on to the relay, then it decides which way you have turned it. I remember years back on an old Mk3 Golf I had the indicators stopped working and I was troubleshooting when someone said, it'll be the 4way flasher switch. Sure enough it was that as all the indicators run through that. I cant imagine this is the same thing as the 4way hazard flasher switch is separate and in a place that never really gets touched, on the golf it was part of the indicator stalk (it was just behind the steering wheel in the centre, so the switch formed part of one of the stalks.).

I do have a towbar, but someone has added a towing relay in the back, unplugging it made no difference and with a trailer attached the other week, it still did the same!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts