My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm not new to the auto repair game been a licensed mechanic since 92 but never really been into buying "new" cars but I couldn't pass up this trailhawk as you can see my driver and passenger bags are blown ..I have a used knee bag...does anyone know if late model Cherokee bags will fit not concerned if same pattern...oh ya 2,800 km so maybe 1700 mi ...thanks everyone and ya I hate the tire and wheels

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
My 2018 Compass wasn't hurt as bad as yours and it was a total. All but one of the airbags discharged. Combined with the cost of the airbags it put the cost of repair beyond the ACV so the insurance company wouldn't pay for a repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it for a good price and surprisingly dealer parts are reasonable mostly cheaper than used I have all the front-end parts so last pieces I need are steering and passenger bags..

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Compass North Altitude
39 Posts
For resale purposes or even for your own safety - I would NEVER recommend replacing your air bags with another model air bag. Just follow what your vin suggests. I must say though, judging by the damage, the impact looks like it was intense yet Im very impressed with the vehicles sturdy frame!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will be surprised Chrysler is pretty good with parts interchanging we had a Honda element in the shop the river airbag was $ we happened to have a civic out back for parts bingo plug and play ...the compass took a good hit rad support rad condenser fans rebar all broken..the worst the rebar folded in the middle and bent the right fame stub half a day on the frame rack and it's good as new

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Compass North Altitude
39 Posts
You will be surprised Chrysler is pretty good with parts interchanging we had a Honda element in the shop the river airbag was $ we happened to have a civic out back for parts bingo plug and play ...the compass took a good hit rad support rad condenser fans rebar all broken..the worst the rebar folded in the middle and bent the right fame stub half a day on the frame rack and it's good as new
Yes, same with Audi and VW - interchangeable parts - but because air bags are a life and death situation, Id hate to see you take a cheaper route and pay for that with your life. Can sound dramatic, but safety should come before everything! Good look, and please update your repair process! Would love to see what you can do with er!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i have Mitchell on demand at work so will be making sure wiring and resistance are correct just more of a is a Cherokee and compass the same steering wheel they look very similar...don't worry guys I've been fixing cars before airbags computer controlled ..and yes I have asked a few young apprentices if they know how to rebuild a carburetor all of them said they wouldn't know where to start to fix a carburetor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won this one at auction but the ins co selling it had a $ they wanted would be around 6500 by the time I got it to my work ...with a fully burnt interior all frontend and back end are usable ..

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts