My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my little compass back in july, Can't say it's been a pleasant experience. throttle body went out after only 2 months but luckily it was an easy fix. the part was only $200 at autozone. My local dodge dealer wanted $900 to fix it. lol

So far it's been doing fine after the TB replacement and TB reset. Only problem i'm having now is a whining noise when i turn the wheel while driving, it's weird. it only does that every now and again. not sure if it's the CVT or power steering. i think it might be the CVT because it doesn't do it sitting still when i turn the wheel.

Anyway i'm here now. And this is my introduction thread.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
292 Posts
Welcome. What year do you have, as some years are better than others for all vehicles.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
I agree. I think it's your power steering. However, the CVT is an often neglected device. The service intervals in the owners manual are rather misleading The CVT fluid and filters (2) should be changed at least every 50,000 miles. The CVT has a bad rap because most owners (like me) believed the owners manual and discovered their tranny didn't even make it to the first recommended service. In my case it was covered by the lifetime warranty -- not everyone was so lucky.

Oh, I'm sorry: Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. I think it's your power steering. However, the CVT is an often neglected device. The service intervals in the owners manual are rather misleading The CVT fluid and filters (2) should be changed at least every 50,000 miles. The CVT has a bad rap because most owners (like me) believed the owners manual and discovered their tranny didn't even make it to the first recommended service. In my case it was covered by the lifetime warranty -- not everyone was so lucky.

Oh, I'm sorry: Welcome to the site!
Thanks.

according to the dodge dealership i spoke with they said it’s a sealed cvt trans that only needs new fluid at 100k miles. It’s currently at only 77k miles so hopefully it will go to 100k.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Thanks.

according to the dodge dealership i spoke with they said it’s a sealed cvt trans that only needs new fluid at 100k miles. It’s currently at only 77k miles so hopefully it will go to 100k.
What I'm saying is they are wrong. If you don't change the fluid and filters it may not get to the first service interval. Mine didn't. Even if your does, the damage will have been done. Changing the fluid then is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Based on what they told you I think I'd find a different dealer to do your service -- a dealer that wants your vehicle to last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts