My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to see if anyone has had this issue recently.

I got in my car this morning and my brakes wouldn't work. When I stepped on the brake to release my gearshift, I couldn't move the gearshift. Then I listened for the release click that I usually ear when I step on the brake........no such sound. Then I looked out my side mirror at the car behind me to see if my brake lights were coming on and of course.........they were not. I spent about 5-10 minutes just repeatedly stepping on my brake and trying to move the car into gear then every so often after the first 5 minutes the lights came on and I heard the click but then I tried it again right after and it didn't work again. This went on for a while.

Any insight?

BTW I love my Compass

·
Registered
656 Posts
Get to a dealership

I am anxious to hear what's up with your brakes . . .
Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
First I must welcome you to the forum, hope you'll enjoy, tell us more about you ride ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome!! I have a 2007 Jeep Compass RallyE edition Black. I purchased it 2 years ago with 44 miles on it. And after 2 years I'm still getting looks and compliments on it regularly. As of now, there are a couple minor things I'd like to add to it but time shall tell, I might just leave it be : )

As for my brakes I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the humidity or something but I still have no answer. As of now their working but my plan is to have it looked at ASAP.

Another thing, I wondered about there being any safety recalls so I searched some sites and came up with some stuff which could be related.

Its kind of a bummer because I've had no issue with my car since I've had it and this is a bit alarming as a first issue.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
If it's still under warranty, don't hesitate to bring it ot the stealership.......if not find yourself a good mecanic you can trust to evaluate the situation.

My 2 cents..............

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I called my dealership to have it taken in for service, but I found out they are changing management and are closing *oober bummer :(*. Therefore, I need to find out where my mechanics went because they were the best service guys.
As of now they want me to go somewhere else but I'm not comfortable with that just yet, I'm trying to be logical though...........
Also I'm trying to get clarity on my current warranty, should still be covered though

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yea I called my dealership to have it taken in for service, but I found out they are changing management and are closing *oober bummer :(*. Therefore, I need to find out where my mechanics went because they were the best service guys.
As of now they want me to go somewhere else but I'm not comfortable with that just yet, I'm trying to be logical though...........
Also I'm trying to get clarity on my current warranty, should still be covered though
And that, unfortunately, is something I understand all too well! I wish I had found out where the service guys went after our local dealership closed, but good luck in getting this one diagnosed!

- Cherokee

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been a Jeep owner for years. Be sure to get that checked because some years ago my master cylinder went out jwhen I was driving! Not a good feeling...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just want to see if anyone has had this issue recently.

I got in my car this morning and my brakes wouldn't work. When I stepped on the brake to release my gearshift, I couldn't move the gearshift. Then I listened for the release click that I usually ear when I step on the brake........no such sound. Then I looked out my side mirror at the car behind me to see if my brake lights were coming on and of course.........they were not. I spent about 5-10 minutes just repeatedly stepping on my brake and trying to move the car into gear then every so often after the first 5 minutes the lights came on and I heard the click but then I tried it again right after and it didn't work again. This went on for a while.

Any insight?

BTW I love my Compass
had that on my 07 4x4. took to dealer under warrenty and they replaced the "brake switch" yours may ber starting to fail. its like a relay thats supposed to release the lock on the shifter once the brake is pressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
had that on my 07 4x4. took to dealer under warrenty and they replaced the "brake switch" yours may ber starting to fail. its like a relay thats supposed to release the lock on the shifter once the brake is pressed.
Oh wow that's good to know, well not that you had the same thing but that you have a possible answer. Becasue so far nothing but a suspected computer issue, now I can take it back and suggest this.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Any luck on getting this fixed?

- Cherokee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts