My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I bought a 2019 Compass Trailhawk mid-March 2020 with 200 km on it. I now have 24000 km's on it, all highway miles but the last few weeks I have noticed my brakes seem shot!?! They warble when I come to stop signs. I had a 2018 compass for 2 years and had zero problems with it and gas mileage was awesome. My 2019 is the WORST vehicle I have ever had for gas mileage, it is awful!!!! I love the vehicle itself but the gas mileage and now the brakes seeming to be shot already in 1 year.... something has to be wrong?!? I called Jeep this morning and made an appointment to take it in to be looked at, so fingers crossed it will be covered?

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
I wonder if your brakes are dragging? The wobble you describe seems to me like warped rotors, and your dismal fuel economy implies drag. Do your wheels get hot after driving any distance?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if your brakes are dragging? The wobble you describe seems to me like warped rotors, and your dismal fuel economy implies drag. Do your wheels get hot after driving any distance?
Hi, I have no idea if they get hot.... I drive alot on the highway - daughter plays rep hockey in a different town so we are on the road alot. My 2018 compass would get between 6 and 700 km to a tank, my 2019 barely gets 450, if I am lucky. I talked to 2 dealerships about it and they say the engine is torqued differently as it's a trailhawk and all of the extra weight being a trailhawk.....UGH!!!

As far as the brakes, it definitely feels like warped rotors.......... isn't that a little weird after barely a year? I have never encountered that with a new vehicle before. Is that something I should mention to the dealership when I take it in, the drag??? I am NOT with mechanical things lol....

Leah

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again and also.... I took my Jeep in about 1.5 months ago ( had my spare winters on) because it felt like the Jeep was all over the road, ie: felt like I was driving in ruts on the road and it wouldn't drive straight. The mechanic told me it was my older winter tires I had put on and that they had to be replaced. So I put new winters on it, and the tires are great, the Jeep still drives weird though.........

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Winter/Snow tires will hurt fuel economy too vs regular tires.

Warped rotors can happen from brakes dragging due to issue with the caliper, or brakes dragging due to issue of two-footed driver resting a foot on the brake pedal while driving. Rotors can also get warped from heavy hard or emergency braking episodes.

The Trailhawks are usually a little heavier and geared lower than the other trims but the transmission has a pretty wide range and should still be able to net similar fuel economy overall.

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
Hi, I have no idea if they get hot.... I drive alot on the highway - daughter plays rep hockey in a different town so we are on the road alot. My 2018 compass would get between 6 and 700 km to a tank, my 2019 barely gets 450, if I am lucky. I talked to 2 dealerships about it and they say the engine is torqued differently as it's a trailhawk and all of the extra weight being a trailhawk.....UGH!!!

As far as the brakes, it definitely feels like warped rotors.......... isn't that a little weird after barely a year? I have never encountered that with a new vehicle before. Is that something I should mention to the dealership when I take it in, the drag??? I am NOT with mechanical things lol....

Leah
Torqued differently? I'm not a mechanic but I'd never heard that expression used to describe the final drive ratio which is what I think your dealer meant. Yes, some 4wd systems have a lower ratio to give you more power -- what it's doing is making the engine turn more RPMs and that requires more fuel, hence lower fuel economy. However, I think you ought to be able to get better than 450km from a tank.

You can check the temp of the wheels simply by touching the wheels (not the tires) after a trip. If any wheel is hot, then you've definitely got something wrong, possibly a dragging brake. Check all of the wheels since in all likelihood there is only one wheel dragging. It would be very strange to have them all dragging. One wheel dragging would also explain why your vehicle doesn't go in a straight line; it could be pulling you to one side. That would be a clue to which brake is dragging. Definitely mention this to your mechanic. It may save time and money in diagnosing the problem.

@arudlang mentioned two-footed braking. Is your daughter driving? Maybe she is a new/inexperienced driver and has a bad habit of keeping one foot on the brake all the time. (My cousin had a way of destroying her brakes by constantly accelerating and braking -- she just couldn't/wouldn't drive at a steady pace).

A dragging brake on a new vehicle is unusual, but if a brake is dragging it is not unusual for it to wear out very quickly. I had a brake drag on my Pontiac and it got so hot that it also wrecked the wheel bearing, so don't be surprised if you need more than a brake job. While brakes are not typically covered under warranty, if one brake is dragging on a vehicle as new as yours I think you have a good case to ask for warranty help. If not the whole deal, they should at least go part way as a goodwill gesture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Winter/Snow tires will hurt fuel economy too vs regular tires.

Warped rotors can happen from brakes dragging due to issue with the caliper, or brakes dragging due to issue of two-footed driver resting a foot on the brake pedal while driving. Rotors can also get warped from heavy hard or emergency braking episodes.

The Trailhawks are usually a little heavier and geared lower than the other trims but the transmission has a pretty wide range and should still be able to net similar fuel economy overall.
Thanks, yes it is kind of shocking how much worse it is than my 2018 Compass North, I get at least 150 at a minimum kms less a tank and I drive exactly the same and the same sort of driving. You wouldn't think it would be so much worse.

Ugh! Hopefully the Jeep dealership won't screw me over on the brakes.... I do not 2 foot drive nor do alot of emergency stopping, so it's very odd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Torqued differently? I'm not a mechanic but I'd never heard that expression used to describe the final drive ratio which is what I think your dealer meant. Yes, some 4wd systems have a lower ratio to give you more power -- what it's doing is making the engine turn more RPMs and that requires more fuel, hence lower fuel economy. However, I think you ought to be able to get better than 450km from a tank.

You can check the temp of the wheels simply by touching the wheels (not the tires) after a trip. If any wheel is hot, then you've definitely got something wrong, possibly a dragging brake. Check all of the wheels since in all likelihood there is only one wheel dragging. It would be very strange to have them all dragging. One wheel dragging would also explain why your vehicle doesn't go in a straight line; it could be pulling you to one side. That would be a clue to which brake is dragging. Definitely mention this to your mechanic. It may save time and money in diagnosing the problem.

@arudlang mentioned two-footed braking. Is your daughter driving? Maybe she is a new/inexperienced driver and has a bad habit of keeping one foot on the brake all the time. (My cousin had a way of destroying her brakes by constantly accelerating and braking -- she just couldn't/wouldn't drive at a steady pace).

A dragging brake on a new vehicle is unusual, but if a brake is dragging it is not unusual for it to wear out very quickly. I had a brake drag on my Pontiac and it got so hot that it also wrecked the wheel bearing, so don't be surprised if you need more than a brake job. While brakes are not typically covered under warranty, if one brake is dragging on a vehicle as new as yours I think you have a good case to ask for warranty help. If not the whole deal, they should at least go part way as a goodwill gesture.
Thank you! yes I sure wish I could get better gas mileage, it is crazy bad. I will definitely check the wheel temps, thanks for that!!!!! My daughter is only 14, so doesn't drive it. I am the only driver....... and drive the same way all the time. I would say 95% of the 24,000 km on the Jeep are highway miles.

I will definitely talk to the dealership about the possibility that one is dragging, as there seems to be a few issues at play here. I took it to them about 4 months ago and they said it was the tires, so I had new winters put on. Unfortunately the mileage was bad from day 1, it didn't get any worse with the winters. I actually thought there was something wrong with it, because my 2018 Compass when full of gas would always be between 6 and 700 km and my 2019 was like 450........I was like WTF.... it must be wrong! but nope.... I can't drive nearly as far on a tank in my 2019 as I could in my 2018. Yes both dealerships said it was because it was a Trailhawk that my mileage was so bad.... gee, wish they had of told me that before "upgrading" me lol........don't get me wrong, I do love it, but it has had a few little problems that is for sure.

Thanks, I super appreciate everyone's help here!

Leah

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
Good luck! I hope they treat you right. Please let us know how things work out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck! I hope they treat you right. Please let us know how things work out.
thank you!!! I sure will.......I go in Wednesday morning, fingers crossed!! I hate to say it, but I always kind of wish I had a big tough guy to drag in with me LOL...... don't get me wrong, but I always feel like they try and take advantage of my "lack" of mechanical knowledge.......but I will try and get it sorted out!!!! Thanks all.......

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
thank you!!! I sure will.......I go in Wednesday morning, fingers crossed!! I hate to say it, but I always kind of wish I had a big tough guy to drag in with me LOL...... don't get me wrong, but I always feel like they try and take advantage of my "lack" of mechanical knowledge.......but I will try and get it sorted out!!!! Thanks all.......
Then again, if you flutter your eyelashes and maybe bring cookies . . . . ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Remember the Compass has Hill Assist and other electronically controlled systems to assist in breaking. If front and/or back are all warring down, I would expect system issues. If only one wheel than maybe a stuck caliper. Had that happen on a 1 year old Dodge. The piston seal wasn't installed properly at the factory, water got into it and rusted it so it was dragging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember the Compass has Hill Assist and other electronically controlled systems to assist in breaking. If front and/or back are all warring down, I would expect system issues. If only one wheel than maybe a stuck caliper. Had that happen on a 1 year old Dodge. The piston seal wasn't installed properly at the factory, water got into it and rusted it so it was dragging.
Okay thanks!! I don't think my 2019 has hill assist, it certainly has never kicked in... not like my 2016 GMC truck did....maybe I am missing something there..... Not that I have done alot of hills but I have taken it up our local mountain a few times skiing and it's fairly steep in portions coming down and nothing kicked in............odd.

Leah

·
Registered
248 Posts
Okay thanks!! I don't think my 2019 has hill assist, it certainly has never kicked in... not like my 2016 GMC truck did....maybe I am missing something there..... Not that I have done alot of hills but I have taken it up our local mountain a few times skiing and it's fairly steep in portions coming down and nothing kicked in............odd.

Leah
"Hill Start Assist" I think it does. If you are on an up hill incline, it electronically holds the brakes for like a second to prevent you from rolling back between the time you take your foot off the brake and on the gas. You may be thinking of Hill Decent that only the TH comes equipped with. Below from the manual.

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
The HSA system is designed to mitigate roll back from a
complete stop while on an incline. If the driver releases the
brake while stopped on an incline, HSA will continue to
hold the brake pressure for a short period. If the driver
does not apply the throttle before this time expires, the
system will release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll
down the hill as normal.
The following conditions must be met in order for HSA to
activate:
• The feature must be enabled.
• The vehicle must be stopped.
• Park brake must be off.
• Driver door must be closed.
• The vehicle must be on a sufficient grade.
• The gear selection must match vehicle uphill direction
(i.e., vehicle facing uphill is in forward gear; vehicle
backing uphill is in REVERSE gear).
• HSA will work in REVERSE gear and all forward gears.
The system will not activate if the transmission is in
PARK or NEUTRAL. For vehicles equipped with a
manual transmission, if the clutch is pressed, HSA will
remain active.
WARNING!
There may be situations where the Hill Start Assist
(HSA) will not activate and slight rolling may occur,
such as on minor hills or with a loaded vehicle, or
while pulling a trailer. HSA is not a substitute for
active driving involvement. It is always the driver’s
responsibility to be attentive to distance to other vehicles,
people, and objects, and most importantly brake
operation to ensure safe operation of the vehicle under
all road conditions. Your complete attention is always
required while driving to maintain safe control of your
vehicle. Failure to follow these warnings can result in
a collision or serious personal injury.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
145 Posts
They say brakes should last 20000 to 65000 miles depending on several factors and The type of pad.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
145 Posts
Do you have caliper covers? I have heard that these can shorten the pad life with some heat build up.

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
They say brakes should last 20000 to 65000 miles depending on several factors and The type of pad.
Unless you're unusually rough on your brakes, I'd say to the high side or even higher. While most of my driving presently is on highways, I've lived and worked in the city over the years. I don't think I've ever had to service the brakes before 50,000 miles.

I've always tended to be a moderate hyper-miler, at least to the extent of anticipating my stops. I've owned a couple Buick Electras, a 1st gen Cherokee, and snappier vehicles like my beloved Grand Prix and my Buick Grand Sport. My Dad worked as a mechanic for a while and he was insistent that I not push the engine, ride the clutch, or drag the brakes. I learned good habits early on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts