My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
"Hill Start Assist" I think it does. If you are on an up hill incline, it electronically holds the brakes for like a second to prevent you from rolling back between the time you take your foot off the brake and on the gas. You may be thinking of Hill Decent that only the TH comes equipped with. Below from the manual.

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
The HSA system is designed to mitigate roll back from a
complete stop while on an incline. If the driver releases the
brake while stopped on an incline, HSA will continue to
hold the brake pressure for a short period. If the driver
does not apply the throttle before this time expires, the
system will release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll
down the hill as normal.
The following conditions must be met in order for HSA to
activate:
• The feature must be enabled.
• The vehicle must be stopped.
• Park brake must be off.
• Driver door must be closed.
• The vehicle must be on a sufficient grade.
• The gear selection must match vehicle uphill direction
(i.e., vehicle facing uphill is in forward gear; vehicle
backing uphill is in REVERSE gear).
• HSA will work in REVERSE gear and all forward gears.
The system will not activate if the transmission is in
PARK or NEUTRAL. For vehicles equipped with a
manual transmission, if the clutch is pressed, HSA will
remain active.
WARNING!
There may be situations where the Hill Start Assist
(HSA) will not activate and slight rolling may occur,
such as on minor hills or with a loaded vehicle, or
while pulling a trailer. HSA is not a substitute for
active driving involvement. It is always the driver’s
responsibility to be attentive to distance to other vehicles,
people, and objects, and most importantly brake
operation to ensure safe operation of the vehicle under
all road conditions. Your complete attention is always
required while driving to maintain safe control of your
vehicle. Failure to follow these warnings can result in
a collision or serious personal injury.
Oh okay got ya!!! Yes I am sure you are right that I have this, I was thinking of the Hill descent one I had in my 2016 GMC truck.... loved that haha! Kinda miss it!

Leah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey everyone!!! Just got the call from the Jeep dealership..... bad news. Apparently the rotors are covered up until 20,000 km and I am at 24,000 and the front 2 rotors are warped already!!!! Unfortunately, no recalls on my particular VIN, so I will be paying for 2 new rotors and labour, ugh!!! He said fixing this may help my gas mileage, but I dont know haha..... I guess we will see! He said the brake pads are still in excellent shape, so by changing to new rotors, I won't have to replace those any time soon..... so it's a huge bummer that they went so soon. Hopefully these ones last longer than a year!

Leah
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Hey everyone!!! Just got the call from the Jeep dealership..... bad news. Apparently the rotors are covered up until 20,000 km and I am at 24,000 and the front 2 rotors are warped already!!!! Unfortunately, no recalls on my particular VIN, so I will be paying for 2 new rotors and labour, ugh!!! He said fixing this may help my gas mileage, but I dont know haha..... I guess we will see! He said the brake pads are still in excellent shape, so by changing to new rotors, I won't have to replace those any time soon..... so it's a huge bummer that they went so soon. Hopefully these ones last longer than a year!

Leah
Typically pads outlast the rotors. It used to be the shop could turn (smooth out) the rotors and reuse them so the rotors might outlast several sets of pads. More recently to save vehicle weight they're making the rotors thinner so if they turned them they'd be paper-thin and would warp even sooner. These days pads and rotors usually get replaced together. Yours is the first I've heard of the pads outlasting the rotors.

I gather you live in BC and they've got mountains there. Mountain driving can be rough on brakes if you ride them all the way down the grade. That would overheat the rotors and might explain your situation. Best practice is to brake firmly then release so the rotors can cool, then brake firmly again and so on down the hill. Also try shifting to lower gears on the descent and let the engine hold you back -- that will help your brakes last longer.

Maybe you know this so please forgive me if I sound patronizing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Typically pads outlast the rotors. It used to be the shop could turn (smooth out) the rotors and reuse them so the rotors might outlast several sets of pads. More recently to save vehicle weight they're making the rotors thinner so if they turned them they'd be paper-thin and would warp even sooner. These days pads and rotors usually get replaced together. Yours is the first I've heard of the pads outlasting the rotors.

I gather you live in BC and they've got mountains there. Mountain driving can be rough on brakes if you ride them all the way down the grade. That would overheat the rotors and might explain your situation. Best practice is to brake firmly then release so the rotors can cool, then brake firmly again and so on down the hill. Also try shifting to lower gears on the descent and let the engine hold you back -- that will help your brakes last longer.

Maybe you know this so please forgive me if I sound patronizing.
No worries yes I live in BC! I have actually only been up our local mountain twice this winter with this Jeep..... so I would like to think that 2 trips down didn't do that to the rotors but who knows..... I am generally very cautious of that! I do mostly highway driving, straight shot, not alot of braking and very little driving in town as I work from home right now due to covid. Yes I was shocked that I need new rotors after a year and that the pads were still apparently in excellent shape..... I asked the guy at Jeep why they are putting crap parts in new vehicles.... I mean makes me think they are doing it on purpose knowing that they will wear out after warranty (1 year for rotors) and be on the hook to pay for new ones. My last compass, a 2018, I drove for 2 years up north in harsh conditions and never had to replace or fix a single thing! This one so far I have been into Jeep about 4 times with problems, all related to how it handles on the highway - always feels like I am driving in ruts....and it pulls and not to mention the horrid gas mileage! Nothing has ever been found or fixed, they say its fine. It is frustrating though.... and expensive.

Leah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hi all, I bought a 2019 Compass Trailhawk mid-March 2020 with 200 km on it. I now have 24000 km's on it, all highway miles but the last few weeks I have noticed my brakes seem shot!?! They warble when I come to stop signs. I had a 2018 compass for 2 years and had zero problems with it and gas mileage was awesome. My 2019 is the WORST vehicle I have ever had for gas mileage, it is awful!!!! I love the vehicle itself but the gas mileage and now the brakes seeming to be shot already in 1 year.... something has to be wrong?!? I called Jeep this morning and made an appointment to take it in to be looked at, so fingers crossed it will be covered?
Hello I just got my 2019 Jeep trail hawk and I can go 2 weeks on a full tank of gas.And that’s driving in town .I haven’t had any problems with it just that I ran over a nail.The next day I got up on my way to work and saw that the tire was at 29.I went to the dealership and they plugged the tire for me and I was on my way driving again I love my Jeep I guess you can say I’ve always been a Jeep girl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello I just got my 2019 Jeep trail hawk and I can go 2 weeks on a full tank of gas.And that’s driving in town .I haven’t had any problems with it just that I ran over a nail.The next day I got up on my way to work and saw that the tire was at 29.I went to the dealership and they plugged the tire for me and I was on my way driving again I love my Jeep I guess you can say I’ve always been a Jeep girl.
Awesome!!! Hey...next time you fill up.... can you tell me how many kilometers it says you have estimated to drive on that tank? My 2018 was 600 to 700 and my 2019 trailhawk gets 450 max!!!! They tell me this is normal...ugh!!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Awesome!!! Hey...next time you fill up.... can you tell me how many kilometers it says you have estimated to drive on that tank? My 2018 was 600 to 700 and my 2019 trailhawk gets 450 max!!!! They tell me this is normal...ugh!!!
I get low 30s MPG and about 400 miles to a tank. That translates to about 650KM so about in line with your 2018. Most of my driving, say 80%, is on pretty good roads at 55-65mph or c.100km/h. The other 20% is either faster on the turnpike or slower on rough rural roads.

I'm not sure on this but if the Trailhawk has a lower gear ratio, that would lower your fuel economy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I get low 30s MPG and about 400 miles to a tank. That translates to about 650KM so about in line with your 2018. Most of my driving, say 80%, is on pretty good roads at 55-65mph or c.100km/h. The other 20% is either faster on the turnpike or slower on rough rural roads.

I'm not sure on this but if the Trailhawk has a lower gear ratio, that would lower your fuel economy.
Wow I feel like there is something wrong with mine!!! I drive 95 percent on the highway.... work from home. I'd have a stroke if I got higher than 450 km a tank!!! Ugh!!!!
 
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Top