My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Someone know where is the module SGW on a Jeep Compass 2018.

I bought a Bypass SGW, but i don't know where connect it

Thank you

·
Registered
173 Posts
Before you rip the dash apart, you might want to check if you need the bypass module. I have a 2018, but don't have the SGW module.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m curious, how do you tell if you need the bypass? Waiting for my 8.4 to arrive. Hopefully it’s largely plug and play. But I’ve seen some nightmare stories on here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’m curious, how do you tell if you need the bypass? Waiting for my 8.4 to arrive. Hopefully it’s largely plug and play. But I’ve seen some nightmare stories on here.
It depends on the system your coming from. If it is a 7" then you should be mostly fine but us 2017.5 folks that come from a 5" screen it is a little more involved. Follow the guide that was made from the 7" swap and you should be good. 5" is a whole diffent thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
gazano: On my 2019 jeep compass sport. The SGW was located way in front of the dash. You need to take the dash apart and the lower trim panel under the steering wheel at knee level.Very difficult to remove. You will also have to modify the infotainment security bypass module In order for this bypass module to read the middle can bus open it and solder a wire across pins A1 and A2 then a wire across pins A8 and A9 as per Alexey at Alfaobd. Once this was done it read the middle can bus and I then was able to do the proxi alignment using the gray cable when called for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, i'm in the same situation. i've bought the bypass but i can't find where to install. i removed all the plastic case under the steering wheel, saw and unplug all cables for about 2 hour but.... i can't find the right cable for plug the bypass.
someone can help me?
thx
bye

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think the bypass for the compass is behind the gauge cluster did you also remove that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i can touch the plug, but i have big hand and it's no easy to press the little tab and unplug, especially the second one.
Now i'm waiting to test the bypass with MultiEcuScan software, i'm in warranty period, but i'd like to activate some features.

In this forum someone has succesfully activate AdaptiveCruiseControl aftermarket?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Infotainment gateway module bypass

Will it work for me if I buy this module for the jeep 2019 compass?

Can I write problem-free code with multiecusan and alphaobd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Infotainment gateway module bypass

Will it work for me if I buy this module for the jeep 2019 compass?

Can I write problem-free code with multiecusan and alphaobd
with multiecuscan+bypass you can reset the issues and flash new settings (make the alignment)

i'm waiting the warranty expired before make changes

·
Registered
8 Posts
I copied this off of a manufacturer's website. Now I understand why one would want to do this. I may consider it after the warranty expires.

"Since 2017, FCA has been continuously adding Security Gateway module (SGW) into cars they manufacture. The SGW blocks and separates CAN buses of a car. Its main purpose is to increase security against hacker access to car’s CAN modules through wireless interfaces available in the car. Unfortunately for users, it does not allow full use of OBD diagnostics without digital keys that are only available on FCA servers, and as result active OBD diagnostics (DTC error erase, tests, change of proxi configuration, dyno mode activation) is not possible, only read mode is available. Because of that servicing in independent garages is practically not available (e.g. no possibility to clear oil change inspection), as 3rd party OBD diagnostic tools do not support downloading of the SGW unlock keys, and it is likely that even if they gain such feature in the future, the key will not be available for free. According to information received from FCA support, FCA does not plan any option of deactivation of the SGW, even after warranty is expired, which practically forces car owners to service their cars in authorised service centres (or in garages that buy the expensive Witech2 diagnostic tool and the subscriptions)."

·
Registered
18 Posts
one quick question, I could connect the BCM and read the configuration data. This means 100% that I did not have the Bypass Installed.

Service Manual extract:
The SGW module is a security hardware device to stop unwanted access and threats to the Controller Area Network (CAN) for the vehicle. The SGW module does not contain any drivers and therefore does not directly operate or control any vehicle components.
The complexity of in‐vehicle networking has led to the development of a variety of bus standards and protocols that are specific to their communication domains. The SGW module serves as the information bridge between these communication domains and the diagnostic scan tool and th radio. Hardware security features of the SGW module are used to prevent unauthorized bus network access.
The SGW module is flash programmable. Failure to flash a newly installed SGW module will leave it in a locked mode. When in the locked mode, the SGW module will not operate.

BCM System status extract:
Body programming status:
Protected
proxy OK
IMMOBILIZER Not programmed,
Valid Keys table RF 1-4 Not programmed,
Valid Keys table RF 5-8 Not programmed,
Security Data Access locked: Locked
Body computer configuration:
Alarm
No Remote Control Key
Blinking at CDL ENABLED
Country Code: AFGAHANISTAN /this is also suprising for me /-:D

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Moreover, below could be more feasible solution, leave the SGW as installed do not remove the Instrument Panel etc.
I guess connectors are still in reach, just remove and install this.

Autel FCA 12+8
View attachment 13654
Did you just installed it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts