My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

New here and new to the Jeep Compass MP fam as of 4/5/19 and 1400 miles later; long story but let's just say my dedication to joining this fine group by owning a trailhawk is unmatched by some. This forum has provided incredible insight to many questions and topics on the 2017.5+ Compass. Big shout out to all of you and thank you.

Wasted no time in making mine my own - starting with the CAI install. Only took about an hour. I know many have gone with the K&N part #77-1565KS. I went with the AEM part #21-769C. Sharing here to further inspire others wishing to unlock a bit more out of the infamous Tigershark 2.4L.

See before and after photos for reference. If any are interested I can upload actual footage of sound.

I have the Masterflow catback exhaust as well just haven't installed it yet. Will gladly share reference photos and sound vids when possible.

BTW - regarding MPG as some threads have touched base on - today I averaged 34 mpg over a 28 mile trip. There is definitely a technique to achieving this.

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Welcome!

dragani328 said:
If any are interested I can upload actual footage of sound.
Of course we are interested! =D Always curious to know what the options are. Most of the time they are too noisy for me anymore though, apparently I'm too old for that kinda of fun but that doesn't mean its not fun to see others playing around. I just don't want to make it any more obvious how hard I have to flog the ole kittenfish (credit/TM @Jasmine) engine to keep up with the minivan next to me from a stoplight xD

·
Registered
124 Posts
Definitely do some before/after of the CAI and the exhaust. Also, what are your impressions of it? I'd like to bring every last HP out of this thing. Which exhaust did you go with, and why?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@arudlang lol flog the ole kittenfish (credit/TM @Jasmine) that's very good. Yes there is indeed truth to all of the many underdog statements regarding this jeeps performance, or lack there of. I suppose we all accepted that tid bit upon purchasing our jeeps, alas, I'll at least do what I can to pull a few extra horses out of it for fun. The CAI is louder for sure when the throttle opens full, and yet still noticeable when gradually cruising around. It's a good loud though imo; deep and healthy. Stock however the jeep was just as much fun to drive for what its worth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have the KNN and is insanely loud after 3.5 - 4k RPM especially if its uphill, any way to quiet it down? lol
Going back to stock likely you're only realistic option to quite down, otherwise the CAI route is expected to have the increased decimal output per throttle response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely do some before/after of the CAI and the exhaust. Also, what are your impressions of it? I'd like to bring every last HP out of this thing. Which exhaust did you go with, and why?

I'll have the vid for the CAI this weekend. My impression is that with the CAI alone as I have installed on my jeep at the current moment, is about what I expected increased torque/HP wise and actually way louder with full throttle than what I expected. The performance increase is noticeable yet not major. First spin taking it out after the install and opening it up literally put a smile on my face when I heard it; the AEM like the K&N is an incredible product. Again though my intention was never to make these changes and then utilize the automatic transmission to enjoy the subtle gains, nay sir. Rather, switching to the manual option to get the true enjoyment.

The best gain is found when using the manual shift option and ideally within 3rd and 4th gears. 2nd gear winds out too quick and 5th on up needs a better exhaust and header switch out to have a solid opinion about it.

I went with the Magnaflow Catback exhaust (#19324) meant for the 2015+ Jeep Renegade Trailhawk simply due to knowing for sure it would work with a slight mod, thanks to member dawm who posted here on this forum their successes with it. Search Magnaflow Catback exhaust DOES FIT to find their thread (I haven't posted enough so can't tie a link here yet).

imo it's an affordable exhaust as well if you know where to get the right deal. Most sites will allow for a 10%-20% "new/welcome" code which is what I used and instantly saved $120 + free shipping = SOLD!

·
Registered
248 Posts
im gonna be that guy

the type of cai you have shown still pulls hot air from the engine bay
you need to get out of the engine bay to truly get cold air
cat backs are still flow limited by whats between them and the engine

also, as for feeling it? i think its just the sound, and the increase in throttle you gave it

put it on a dyno, if you got 5hp increase it would be amazing

but as long as your happy

·
Registered
124 Posts
im gonna be that guy

the type of cai you have shown still pulls hot air from the engine bay

you need to get out of the engine bay to truly get cold air

cat backs are still flow limited by whats between them and the engine

also, as for feeling it? i think its just the sound, and the increase in throttle you gave it

put it on a dyno, if you got 5hp increase it would be amazing

but as long as your happy
Looks like the CAI has some isolation to me. I'd have to look in my engine bay to say for sure, but you can see the rubber lined barrier to block it off from the rest of the engine bay once the hood is closed. As for the cat-back, I agree that it isn't a huge change. It's mostly for sound. If you want a real performance gain, header back needs to be upgraded.

With that said: does anyone know what the header ID is? And what about the rest of the factory exhaust?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well I was on the fence but @mdram4x4 started it, so I will chip in that I agree intakes and exhausts don't actually make any more power on a modern 4 cylinder car and I assert that they are not even intended to do so, secretly its all about causing the vehicle to make more aggressive noises with more volume to get the driver/owner excited, which tends to throw off the ole' butt-dyno.

They are still fun things to do that grow the attachment between owner and car, but there are going to be no actual measurable power gains. They are already squeezing every last drop out of these modern engines. Decades ago these things actually made a difference especially as emissions laws ramped up and existing motors got neutered with restrictive intakes and exhausts around the 70s. These days teams of engineers do not spend thousands of hours designing and testing an engine and then leave 5 or any percent of its full-potential horsepower or economy on the table for want of a 1/4" bigger tube and walk away.

Truth be told, often people swap out intakes or exhaust and end up loosing power because they've done screwed up the engineers' hard work. This tends to be more an issue with cheap aftermarket stuff though, K&N and AEM make shiny tubes that at best perform the same as stock while adding the cool vacuum cleaner noise to your ensemble.

We shouldn't piss too much on the parade though its still a fun thing to do and that's really what its about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thats the farthest thing from the truth or the aftermarket performance industry would be dead. Any car truck or suv that rolls off the assembly line isnt setup for it full potential. You have 2 sides of the coin, "fuel economy" vs "performance" one doesnt go hand in hand with the other. When you can throw something as simple as a new tune to your ecm and pickup uo to 100hp in some cases, thats proof enough the car isnt to its full potential

Well I was on the fence but @mdram4x4 started it, so I will chip in that I agree intakes and exhausts don't actually make any more power on a modern 4 cylinder car and I assert that they are not even intended to do so, secretly its all about causing the vehicle to make more aggressive noises with more volume to get the driver/owner excited, which tends to throw off the ole' butt-dyno.

They are still fun things to do that grow the attachment between owner and car, but there are going to be no actual measurable power gains. They are already squeezing every last drop out of these modern engines. Decades ago these things actually made a difference especially as emissions laws ramped up and existing motors got neutered with restrictive intakes and exhausts around the 70s. These days teams of engineers do not spend thousands of hours designing and testing an engine and then leave 5 or any percent of its full-potential horsepower or economy on the table for want of a 1/4" bigger tube and walk away.

Truth be told, often people swap out intakes or exhaust and end up loosing power because they've done screwed up the engineers' hard work
. This tends to be more an issue with cheap aftermarket stuff though, K&N and AEM make shiny tubes that at best perform the same as stock while adding the cool vacuum cleaner noise to your ensemble.

We shouldn't piss too much on the parade though its still a fun thing to do and that's really what its about.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts