My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Quick question: Can the Compass' key be copied outside of the dealership, say at a local hardware, etc.?

The Compass key also contains the locking FOB, but does it contain a security chip?

The hardware store told us that they could copy the key, but that it wouldn't work and could possibly cause the vehicle to be disabled if we tried to use it.

Does anyone know if this is true for this particular vehicle? I can see this being true for high end vehicles having chip security in their keys, but I'm skeptical that the Compass has this feature.

Thanks!

-CS

·
Registered
43 Posts
Key must be programmed in the dealership. Physically identical, but not programmed key would just start the vehicle for few seconds. I have tried.
And you can try only for a couple (3?) times (that I've only heard, not tried :wink: ).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently ordered a transponder key off ebay and got it cut at a local lock smith and programmed it myself.

I was told by the locksmith that anyone can cut the key.

When i purchaed my Compass i was told by the dealer that the key had built in security, that if an incorrect key was used to start the car that the car would only run for 15 seconds then shut off.

If you have TWO programmed transponder keys then you can get the key cut for a couple of $$ then program it yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes Locksmith can copy the keys for your vehicle and charge you affordable prices.I have personal experience of copying my compass keys by Locksmith in Coral Gables at affordable prices.You should try.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Once cut there should be programming sequence in the owners manual. If supported otherwise your year is a dealer programming only.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello everyone!

Quick question: Can the Compass' key be copied outside of the dealership, say at a local hardware, etc.?

The Compass key also contains the locking FOB, but does it contain a security chip?

The hardware store told us that they could copy the key, but that it wouldn't work and could possibly cause the vehicle to be disabled if we tried to use it.

Does anyone know if this is true for this particular vehicle? I can see this being true for high end vehicles having chip security in their keys, but I'm skeptical that the Compass has this feature.

Thanks!

-CS
I bought a key only off ebay, had it cut at the hardware store and programmed it myself with no problems.
I have both remote fobs.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
A hardware cut key may only be able to be used as an emergency key to open the door. Handy if you lock you Jeep keys inside. Depending on the year etc no alarms should be set off. But you cannot use it for anything other than entry to the vehicle. I have one like that for my Sante Fe since its far to costly for a fully endowed smart key. Do as posted above if you want it to be as the original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts