My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking my first road trip with my dog, who was shifting in her seat and accidentally pressed the parking brake while we were going 65 on the highway. It's a wonder I'm alive and not smashed by a truck- I was just lucky the truck behind me wasn't close enough to collide with me. I didn't know why we came to a screeching halting in the middle of the highway til ten minutes later (I thought Parksense was going awry for no reason which was also terrifying) - finally i realized she may have hit the parking brake. (I tested it at a rest stop going 5 miles an hour and YES, it brings your car to a screeching halt even with minimal pressing down of the EPB).

I have a new 2021 Jeep Compass (leasing - or else I swear i'd find a way to cut the wire on this feature)

QUESTION: Is there a way to disable this feature?!?! Child-lock/child-proof it?!?! WHY is it so easily accessible for accidental use, and WHY is it able to be engaged going full speed????

And, if there IS no way to disengage this feature, anyone have any ideas on what I could tape over this area that would protect the button from dog paws or accidental button pushes?!

(I know one answer is "lock your dog up in the back seat" but I've also heard from other people who said their FRIEND has accidentally pressed it on the highway too. Not ok!!!!!)

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
82 Posts
I don't have kids but have wondered about this myself. My electric parking brake is activated by lifting the button/lever and de-activated by pushing. Slightly harder to do by accident.
I have tested mine while driving, and at speed it doubles as an emergency brake. It applies the electric brakes on the rear and the computer applies the front brakes. I've found in this mode it only continues braking if I keep holding the button up, once I let go of the button, the braking stops. I think it would benefit to have some sort of cover over the switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My electric parking brake is activated by lifting the button/lever and de-activated by pushing. Slightly harder to do by accident.
Totally possible/likely that mine only works by pulling it up too (that's how i tested it, pulling it up), but my dog's paw was still able to accidentally "pull it up" by putting her paw's weight in the crevice, which I'm guessing pushed it up - and she did it TWICE on the trip and we came to screeching halts both times.

If there is no way to disengage i def need to find a way to put some sort of cover over it!

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
264 Posts
You may find a high school that has a tech department with a 3D printer to do a cover. Probably do it for free as a way to learn and it would be custom.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I understand that your incident and resulting near-accident were upsetting, but I find your concern and request ridiculous, lets just get that out of the way. If hundreds of thousands of people with the same system using it day-in and day-out don't have a problem with this design.. it seems awfully pretentious of you to find fault with it just because you or something/one under your care had an accident with it. I'm not trying to be mean, just honest.

Cars have the best controls that engineers can think of, but they aren't perfect and they aren't accident-proof. Accidently pulling up on that small lever is quite a feat, but nothing is impossible. Accidently pushing the shift lever out of gear can happen and cause an accident too. A subway footlong can get accidently caught in the spokes of the steering wheel and prevent a person from steering away from a collision. But I digress..

A 3D printed cover is a great idea. If you are crafty perhaps something could also be made at home from wood or plastic. You might be able to cut a sheet of lexan to wedge between the passenger seat and the center console that prevents the dog from stepping into the center console area, and this would probably head off more than just the e-brake problem because its not OK for your dog to be crossing through there thinking it will be sitting on your lap or something like that, simply not safe, could bump the gearshift lever out of drive like I said before or could fall down into the footwell area and interfere with the gsa/brakes etc, seems like preventing the dog from crossing into that space with a divider would be best overall.

I will also point out what you basically already said, you are well aware that its not safe for dogs to be in the front-seat area period. I think the notion that sometimes people's "friends" occasionally pull up on that clearly labeled lever is also ridiculous. That's about as likely as a "friend" reaching over and giving the steering wheel a good jerk. Can I prove that its never happened? No, but it's not something I worry about with my personal group of friends.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You would need to be a pet owner to understand her situation. I just went look at the design and can EASILY see how this could happen, even if the pet was tethered with a safety belt. Evidently the engineers did not foresee this could happen. Betcha Subaru doesn't have this issue ... A cover plate does seems like a simple fix and I plan on making one for ours. Thanks for pointing out an unusual and unsuspecting find ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just keep a "Big Gulp" in the front cupholder. And, no dog should be that far forward. There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners.

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Cars have the best controls that engineers can think of . . .
That, my friend, is exactly the problem. An electric parking brake is an invention that didn't need to be invented. In fact the electric brake is no safer in any situation and far more dangerous in some. Consider a service brake failure -- with a mechanical e-brake (remember what the 'e' in e-brake stands for) the driver can use it to get the vehicle stopped. All we can do now is park it at 65 (cf original poster) or coast to a stop and hope nothing gets in the way between now and then. Frankly, electronic e-brakes should be banned.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That, my friend, is exactly the problem. An electric parking brake is an invention that didn't need to be invented.
I'm mostly with you on that one, but you know exactly why they decided it "needed" to be invented... The never-ending loop of attempting to idiot-proof cars as the world works tirelessly to build better and better idiots. After that actor guy astoundingly managed to run himself over and kill himself with his own Jeep... they didn't have much choice but to embrace an electronic way for the car to set the emergency brake on its own volition. They got (and still get) sued left-right-and-sideways with how they should have done this or that to prevent stupid accidents. What choice do they have?

Now if I can't see some curbing while backing up my trailer and I decide to crack the driver door open to check where the curb is, my car instantly cranks on the e-brake because I might be a moron about to try to jump out of a moving vehicle that is still in gear, and if I jump out of my not-parked car and it runs my silly @$$ over my family will be suing Jeep for all they're worth.

Its a sad, frustrating world sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Now if I can't see some curbing while backing up my trailer and I decide to crack the driver door open to check where the curb is, my car instantly cranks on the e-brake because I might be a moron about to try to jump out of a moving vehicle that is still in gear.
Isn't that irritating?!?! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
306 Posts
Now if I can't see some curbing while backing up my trailer and I decide to crack the driver door open to check where the curb is, my car instantly cranks on the e-brake because I might be a moron about to try to jump out of a moving vehicle that is still in gear.
Isn't that irritating?!?! :mad:
I also found that irritating until I learned that if you open the drivers door and press the brake pedal it will allow you to release the parking brake. You can then move your Jeep to your hearts content, as long as you don't exceed 12mph.

It's in the Owner's Manual and User Guide:

SafeHold can be temporarily bypassed by pushing the EPB Switch while the driver door is open and the brake pedal is pressed. Once manually bypassed, SafeHold will be enabled again once the vehicle reaches 12 mph (20 km/h) or the ignition is turned to the OFF position and back to ON/RUN again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another protip: if you're just moving it into the garage and don't want to hassle with the seatbelt, press the brake then turn it off. Otherwise, the parking brake won't release unless the seatbelt is buckled. I didn't pay for FCA to be my nanny.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also found that irritating until I learned that if you open the drivers door and press the brake pedal it will allow you to release the parking brake. You can then move your Jeep to your hearts content, as long as you don't exceed 12mph.
Hopefully your head's not still looking out the door when you hit 12mph. :LOL:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another Tip: When the vehicle is moving, the EPB does not latch in the on position. This means you can attempt to make a somewhat controlled emergency stop by lifting and releasing the button repeatedly to modulate the braking.

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Another Tip: When the vehicle is moving, the EPB does not latch in the on position. This means you can attempt to make a somewhat controlled emergency stop by lifting and releasing the button repeatedly to modulate the braking.
Good to know, though I hope I don't ever have to try that.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yep, and that's what I end up doing, its just one more small irritating reminder that Jeep doesn't trust me to be the boss of my own car. I demand the right to be a potential moron and do as I wish! 😆

I didn't pay for FCA to be my nanny.
Agree 100%.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was taking my first road trip with my dog, who was shifting in her seat and accidentally pressed the parking brake while we were going 65 on the highway. It's a wonder I'm alive and not smashed by a truck- I was just lucky the truck behind me wasn't close enough to collide with me. I didn't know why we came to a screeching halting in the middle of the highway til ten minutes later (I thought Parksense was going awry for no reason which was also terrifying) - finally i realized she may have hit the parking brake. (I tested it at a rest stop going 5 miles an hour and YES, it brings your car to a screeching halt even with minimal pressing down of the EPB).

I have a new 2021 Jeep Compass (leasing - or else I swear i'd find a way to cut the wire on this feature)

QUESTION: Is there a way to disable this feature?!?! Child-lock/child-proof it?!?! WHY is it so easily accessible for accidental use, and WHY is it able to be engaged going full speed????

And, if there IS no way to disengage this feature, anyone have any ideas on what I could tape over this area that would protect the button from dog paws or accidental button pushes?!

(I know one answer is "lock your dog up in the back seat" but I've also heard from other people who said their FRIEND has accidentally pressed it on the highway too. Not ok!!!!!)
Your dog lifter it with his paw. Now it is evident that this parking brake button is in the wrong place. Anything could catch on this button while driving, particularly at high speeds this could be dangerous. You could cover with with something. It doesn’t have to be gaudy. Get creative.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts