My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my 2018 Jeep Compass back in 2019 it was used and had 27,000 km on it. No issues were noted on the Carfax but recently I have been having issues with it. It happened back in the middle of March I was getting in my car to drive to work and I started it and a ding happens then it says “stop/start unavailable. service stop/start” then a warning sign pops up and says “Stop Safely. Vehicle will shut off soon” And the Battery symbol on the left side stays on above the temp gauge. I turned off my car then back on and it goes away so i drove to work. After work it happened again so i called the dealership i bought my car from and brought it in the next day. They told me both my batteries were low at 40% charge so they charged them up for me. They told me it was an hour charge which they later waived cause i wasn’t aware of this to begin with and didn’t know my basic warranty ended in December of 2020. Get my car and everything is fine. Fast forward two days the same thing happens again with the stop/start showing up and the stop safely sign. Also the service engine light shows up this time. But also it doesn’t go away the first time i shut off my car. It took my three times to shut off my car and turn it back on for it to go away. So i called my dealership again super annoyed that it happened again after they told me it was fixed. They got in me in the next day and then said it was completely different codes then the day before so the guy working on it was stumped. Then sent me a text “No codes are present now, took it for a nice drive, no issues, looks like it might have been a glitch, no codes have come back, shop foreman is going to take it out to double it.”
Nothing was found so i went and picked up my car. Fast forward two and a half weeks later, same thing happens to me but instead of in the morning it happens after work as i am trying to head home. I do the same thing again but as i am doing my errands after work every time i stop somewhere and shut off my car it pops up. It does it at all three of my stops. I took my car for a nice long drive about 45 minutes around the city so i thought that would help. I called my dealership this afternoon and talked to the service guy i had been dealing with and he told me there main electrician guy will be calling me in the morning to chat about it. I am just curious if anyone else on here has had the same issues as me. This is super disappointing as this is my first new to me car and it was the car i’ve always wanted. The service guy had talked about replacing my batteries but never went through as they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I love this car but I honestly can’t deal with this issue much longer

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
My guess (only a guess) is that the stop/start battery is failing. The Compass has two batteries, the regular service battery and another smaller one right next to it for the stop/start system.

These 2nd Gen Compasses seem to have electronic problems, and the stop/start system seems to lead the way. There's several threads on here about that. It's a shame the government makes them install all these gizmos as if they are saving the planet. :rolleyes: Sorry to get political, but if we didn't have the stop/start system these would be much more reliable vehicles. How much fuel will the stop/start system save over the life of the vehicle? How much fuel have you wasted driving back and forth to your dealer? 'Nuf said.

Oh, I am remiss. Welcome to the site! I hope you can get past this and be able to enjoy your Compass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess (only a guess) is that the stop/start battery is failing. The Compass has two batteries, the regular service battery and another smaller one right next to it for the stop/start system.

These 2nd Gen Compasses seem to have electronic problems, and the stop/start system seems to lead the way. There's several threads on here about that. It's a shame the government makes them install all these gizmos as if they are saving the planet. :rolleyes: Sorry to get political, but if we didn't have the stop/start system these would be much more reliable vehicles. How much fuel will the stop/start system save over the life of the vehicle? How much fuel have you wasted driving back and forth to your dealer? 'Nuf said.

Oh, I am remiss. Welcome to the site! I hope you can get past this and be able to enjoy your Compass.
I hope it’s just the battery on the stop/start. I am going to mention it again when i talk to them tomorrow!! Yes all these stuff being electronic is annoying. I had a 2004 dodge neon before this and never had this many problems 🙃 I agree with you, my stop/start hasn’t worked in over a month and i honestly haven’t seen a huge difference in the amount of gas i’m using/saving so honestly don’t understand the point of it. The dealership has wasted more gas trying to take it out for drives to understand what is going on and see if anything happens lol.
Thank you, me too!!!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Seems like a lot of the time the "Stop safely vehicle will shut off soon" is being shown when the oil pressure is dipping due to not having enough oil in the motor. Have you checked the oil level? Just one of those things with these cars... even if you are like "my back left tire looks a little flat" you still have to start by checking the oil just because...

Barring low oil shutdown, its clearly having electrical issues of a serious sort. Alternator output needs to be tested, IBS function tested, PCR tested, etc. If they don't know how to do a basic electrical system shakedown then you need a different dealership. Sounds like you are one stroke away from needing a whole different car... but it could be something simple yet. (Do ya feel lucky?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like a lot of the time the "Stop safely vehicle will shut off soon" is being shown when the oil pressure is dipping due to not having enough oil in the motor. Have you checked the oil level? Just one of those things with these cars... even if you are like "my back left tire looks a little flat" you still have to start by checking the oil just because...

Barring low oil shutdown, its clearly having electrical issues of a serious sort. Alternator output needs to be tested, IBS function tested, PCR tested, etc. If they don't know how to do a basic electrical system shakedown then you need a different dealership. Sounds like you are one stroke away from needing a whole different car... but it could be something simple yet. (Do ya feel lucky?)
I haven’t checked my oil lately but i got an oil change February 23 so i would hope its not that.
Honestly had thoughts of contacting another dealership to see if they could diagnose something as this has gone on for way too long. The guy who is supposed to be the “main” electrical guy has been working in this field for over 35 years and he couldn’t figure it out so I am not sure what is going on there. They also never called me today like they said so i’m not sure if my dealership really cares about it to be honest!! I love my jeep but if this is what my next three-four years is gonna be like then i don’t want it lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
You need to call Jeep about the issue. There should be a number to call in your owners manual. NO vehicle manufactuer wants negative feedback, for that matter neither does the dealer you are dealing with. Also bypass the service department and go to the dealers owner. Insist on a meeting with him/her. No one of the flunkies running interference. PUSH HARD! You spent hard earned money on the vehicle. If you get nowhere with the dealer, insist on having a factory rep meeting at the dealership. Having spent 25 years at the dealership level, I know this system/procedure works. Feel free to contact me. I would be thrilled to help

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
I haven’t checked my oil lately but i got an oil change February 23 so i would hope its not that.
Honestly had thoughts of contacting another dealership to see if they could diagnose something as this has gone on for way too long. The guy who is supposed to be the “main” electrical guy has been working in this field for over 35 years and he couldn’t figure it out so I am not sure what is going on there. They also never called me today like they said so i’m not sure if my dealership really cares about it to be honest!! I love my jeep but if this is what my next three-four years is gonna be like then i don’t want it lol
If you have the typical oil consumption issue and have not had the recall service performed, you could well be low on oil. I was getting about 3000 miles/quart at best, so depending how much you drive February 23rd may have been a lo-o-ong time ago. So PLEEZE check your oil. No sense wrecking your engine.

I doubt the stop/start system and the oil consumption are related. I could be wrong. I'd still bet on a bad secondary battery. However, the photo isn't showing a stop/start system problem. The warning I see in your photo might be oil related.

·
Registered
13 Posts

hi i work on these all the time the auxillary battery is probably bad there is also a relay switch on top of auxillary battery, the battery itself costs about 100.00

1 - 8 of 8 Posts