My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did the same thing only when the traction control kicked in. The dealer in Canada called Chrysler Canada and there was a computer fix for the traction control. I still put my foot over the brakes when I turn slowly. This still freaks me out but after the dealer fix has seemed to work. The day before it happened I did drive over 600 km (370 miles) and I do not know if that had anything to do with the stall. I think you should print the comments here in this form about the turning stall and show your dealer. ... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think I may have had the starting issue today. It totally caught me off guard. I was leaving work, hopped in the Jeep, turned the key & next thing I know it's cranking & cranking with my hand off the key. I didn't know if I had maybe let go of the key too soon or what was going on. Now I'm really starting to wonder what actually happened. I just sat there, wondering what was going on & what I should do & then it started up and ran fine. I started it one more time about a half hour after that and it fired up. I sure hope I didn't buy a bucket of problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If anyone is still interested in the starting issues, I found out today that the continued cranking is called "Tip Start". It's designed so you just have to "tip" the key forward, to the start position, then let go of the key and the vehicle will do the cranking for you - so you don't have to hold the key until it starts. It will continue to crank until it starts or until 10 seconds have passed. Still doesn't explain why the vehicle takes longer to start at certain times but it does explain the continued cranking.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If anyone is still interested in the starting issues, I found out today that the continued cranking is called "Tip Start". It's designed so you just have to "tip" the key forward, to the start position, then let go of the key and the vehicle will do the cranking for you - so you don't have to hold the key until it starts. It will continue to crank until it starts or until 10 seconds have passed. Still doesn't explain why the vehicle takes longer to start at certain times but it does explain the continued cranking.
Oh, that is good to know that there is at least an answer to the cranking thing. I just wish I knew what it was that made it do it longer than other times. Mine hasn't done it for the last month, but that is also about the same time that the weather finally nudged down below 100 degrees, which it had been for almost 2 months straight without letup, it has been a really hot summer!

FYI, the last time it did do it, in order to "cancel" the continued cranking, I just turned the key all the way back into the off position so that it would stop cranking, let it sit for a few seconds, then try again and it starts right up.

I wonder what the deal is with the shutting off when turning? I haven't had that happen to me yet, but I did have some whine when turning left that was finally resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Freezes on Turns

I have had my 2011 Jeep Compass for 3 weeks (500 miles). Today, when leaving work I made a left turn and my car simply froze--steering, brakes, I was terrified! Luckily, there was a very large shoulder and I was able to use my emergency brake to stop. I turned the engine off, restarted it and it then worked fine. I took it in to my dealer and they told me that the computer system needed an update--they said that only my electrical system shut down. I know very little about cars--but an electrical system shut down seems rather major to me. After about 10 minutes they told me I was good to go--but I should bring it back in if it happens again. How re-assurring! I travel very busy streets during prime rush hour. But now I am afraid to drive my car. I think I will contact someone at the corporate level.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Good luck on calling them.

I am curious why its only an issue on the 2011 and earlier years such as mine did not have this problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought my 2011 Compass a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had any of the problems described here. The (Tip Start) works much like a starter button on other cars. Turn the key and let it go. The key just sends a signal to the computer to crank the engine. So far I have been loving this JEEP. I hope I don't run into the (turn stall problem). I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought my 2011 Compass a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had any of the problems described here. The (Tip Start) works much like a starter button on other cars. Turn the key and let it go. The key just sends a signal to the computer to crank the engine. So far I have been loving this JEEP. I hope I don't run into the (turn stall problem). I'll keep you all posted.
Lol - me too! I had no clue what Tip Start was until I read this thread. Tried it out this morning and it's kinda cool!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have had my 2011 Jeep Compass for 3 weeks (500 miles). Today, when leaving work I made a left turn and my car simply froze--steering, brakes, I was terrified! Luckily, there was a very large shoulder and I was able to use my emergency brake to stop. I turned the engine off, restarted it and it then worked fine. I took it in to my dealer and they told me that the computer system needed an update--they said that only my electrical system shut down. I know very little about cars--but an electrical system shut down seems rather major to me. After about 10 minutes they told me I was good to go--but I should bring it back in if it happens again. How re-assurring! I travel very busy streets during prime rush hour. But now I am afraid to drive my car. I think I will contact someone at the corporate level.
I'd be after the dealer and/or look filling against Chrysler with the US APA to repair or buyback the vehicle. Your insurance company would not be too appriciative. I would also report to the safety organations and force recall much like the Toyota fiasco which force them to resolve their problem. Its not a joke when it happens and you should not tollerate it.

If you don't persue it don't complain of even post. I does nothing here and you're living with the problem

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just gonna toss this in the mix as it seems to be the answer behind MANY mechanical/electrical/computer based problems: over-engineering. They (engineers) seem to every year toss in more bells and whistles and motors and communication routes through a vehicle which leaves it that much more prone to breakage. Personally, I'm a HUGE advocate for simplicity and thus am happy with manual windows, locks, etc. Less to break and certainly less complexity to sift through to find the root of the problem. Just an opinion, but otherwise good luck to you unfortunates out there with frustrating problems right now and I hope a happy ending in your future.

I also see a recall in the near future at least on the turning/stall problem. That's HUGE for safety threat!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport
4x4 2.4L DOHC
124,000km

·
Registered
98 Posts
I haven't been having as many problems with mine (with the continued cranking issue) lately. I know it happened on Sept 6 - or somewhere around there. A couple of days later, the dealer preprogrammed the vehicle. I didn't have another problem for a month - but it did come back. So I don't know if it was the temperature drop, the reprogramming, or because I started using the tip start. I have no idea.... But it just happened to me again today Oct 19. It's not happening as frequently but it is still happening. I wonder what will happen in the middle of winter when I try to use my remote start. I bet I will encounter some problems with it not starting. Ugh... Everytime it does the extended cranking, I get caught off guard and just sit there. lol One of these times I'm going to think to turn the key off or give it gas. Just to do something other than stare at the steering wheel! lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does anybody think that it may be the fuel pressure regulator? I'm just throwing out an idea here but was curious if anyone agreed or not. I was reading that some of the symptoms of a bad/failing regulator are that the vehicle is hard to start and/or will stall.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm still trying to figure this one out. How about a faulty starter??? I had the starting problem today. I hadn't really noticed it much lately. Been about 3 months. But I'm also getting a strange noise (sometimes) right after the vehicle starts. It's a squeal/whine that lasts for about a second. Sounds like it's coming from the area of where the starter would be. Are these two problems linked???...to the starter?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Update

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to report that I am at 25,000kms and my strange noises have gone.

The issue when starting has only happened once in the last 9 months. I have not had any stalling issues.

I hope that everyone gets their problems solved, cause I really believe the Compass is decent vehicle once you get accustomed to it.

PS. I hope I can say this again in 5 years....

"G"

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to report that I am at 25,000kms and my strange noises have gone.

The issue when starting has only happened once in the last 9 months. I have not had any stalling issues.

I hope that everyone gets their problems solved, cause I really believe the Compass is decent vehicle once you get accustomed to it.

PS. I hope I can say this again in 5 years....

"G"
Are your problems just disappearing over time or are you having them fixed?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Over Time

Hi,

The only "fix" that I had performed is are updates to the computer on the car, that, for me, really improved drive-ability.

Other than that, it has been synthetic oil changes at about every 8,000 kms.

"G"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stall Happened

Hi Everyone,

So tonight I was going to make a left hand turn and the Jeep stalled, all the lights came on and I was stuck in the middle of an intersection.

Scared the crap out of me!!!!!

I was able to get it started, and the only thing I notice is that when i started it appears as if the the starter did not realize the Jeep was already started. Like it was stuck cranking.....

I am trying to arrange a visit to the dealership.

I have about 28,000 kms.

I hope there is some sort of update as this seems like a glitch in the system.

G

·
Registered
98 Posts
Keep us posted. This shouldn't be happening with these vehicles and it does make for some scary situations. I'm especially curious about the starting issues as mine has done that since day one. The dealership has supposedly updated the system a couple of times but it has not fixed the problem. One of the last times I had the issue, I had the same sort of thing happen when it did start. It seemed like it cranked for just a second after the vehicle had already started. The next start was my typical "stuck in cranking without starting" mode. I gave it gas and it started up then. Not sure if my giving it gas did the trick or if it just happened to start at that same exact moment. It's very, very frustrating! Also, with reading some of these posts, I'm afraid that I will someday experience the stalling issue as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Disconnect Battery

Hi,

I sure will keep everyone posted. Drove it today and a lot of left turns. The only thing I can describe is a slight hesitation when pressing the accelerator.

I don't know if this is related but if I let off the brake and wait a second then hit the accelerator, there seems to be a bit more jump.

If I go from brake right away to accelerator, then it seems to hesitate a bit more.

I have disconnect my battery (negative cable) and let it sit for 1 hour. Other members seem to say that this "resets" the "computer".

"G"

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a 2001 Chrysler Concorde that stalled on a me a few times when rounding corners. Turned out to be a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Had a problem with one of those in a 2002 Cadillace Deville as well. But that would just cause the car to keep cranking & cranking. I'd have to try starting it a few times before it actually would start. With this Compass, I have these memories of these two vehicles flooding back and I'm wondering if the stalling and starting problems with the Compass could be this same sort of sensor problem.
I've noticed that jump too - when I let off the brake and then touch the gas pedal again. It almost seems to hop forward a bit.
I've wondered myself if disconnecting the battery cable would help. I'm interested to find out if it does or not.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts