My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a 2017 1st Gen Jeep Compass and I’ve come to you guys for some help.

So here’s the issue, my back right tire when looking at it from the back of the car seems to be tilted with the top of the wheel towards the car, kinda like this symbol here “\”.

Either way I went to a shop to try and get it fixed, but when they were done inspecting the tire they told me that a simple wheel alignment wouldn’t fix the issue because they believed to think something was bent and they weren't sure. So I went to a different shop and did a wheel alignment anyways. (The second shop was a bit cheaper to do an alignment LOL). The issue was not really fixed and the car still has its crooked wheel. So I’m assuming that something IS bent but I don’t know what to look for in terms of what it could be. Also would something like this be fine to just leave alone or to try and get fixed ASAP? I’ve kinda just ignored it since the alignment but I’d like your opinions to see what I can find.

I hope you guys can help me, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Of course I can only guess. Maybe a wheel bearing? I've seen bad ball joints let a front wheel visibly lean. Has it been in an accident or suffered from some severe off-roading?

I will say, I'd trust the first shop over the second. They told you the truth, the second shop just took your money and wasted it on an alignment that wouldn't help with your problem.

Ignoring this could possibly be dangerous, but undoubtedly will wreck your tire. If it were mine, I'd at least want a diagnosis. After I knew the cause and the risk, then I could decide how much of a priority it should be. Right now you don't know if it's trivia or a crisis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course I can only guess. Maybe a wheel bearing? I've seen bad ball joints let a front wheel visibly lean. Has it been in an accident or suffered from some severe off-roading?

I will say, I'd trust the first shop over the second. They told you the truth, the second shop just took your money and wasted it on an alignment that wouldn't help with your problem.

Ignoring this could possibly be dangerous, but undoubtedly will wreck your tire. If it were mine, I'd at least want a diagnosis. After I knew the cause and the risk, then I could decide how much of a priority it should be. Right now you don't know if it's trivia or a crisis.
Thanks for the advice, I don’t take the car off-roading and there have been no accidents with it as far as I know. The only thing I can think of is possibly hitting the side of a curb while turning? But even then I don’t remember hitting any curb and I’m not sure how something like that could possibly do damage to a wheel bearing. I’m thinking that wheel bearings are strong and hitting a curb would be kinda silly but please correct me if I’m wrong. Are there any ways to test if I even have a bad wheel bearing in the first place?

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Usually a failing wheel bearing makes a howling noise -- sounds a lot like an aggressive tread on asphalt. If you jack it up, you might be able to wiggle it from side to side. I really doubt it's a wheel bearing.

None of the things you describe seem to be enough to cause suspension damage. Heck, I've hit a couple curbs in my life, even dented the rims, but didn't do any more than mess with the alignment. Usually its the front wheels that take that kind of abuse, not the rears.

I'm stymied. Yours is a 2017? That's pretty new to have suspension problems. Are you still under warranty? If the wheel is visibly slanted I would expect it to be something obvious and I'm surprised either shop didn't see something right off. I think you may need to take it to a bona fide dealer, or maybe the first shop you went to, for a thorough examination.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually a failing wheel bearing makes a howling noise -- sounds a lot like an aggressive tread on asphalt. If you jack it up, you might be able to wiggle it from side to side. I really doubt it's a wheel bearing.

None of the things you describe seem to be enough to cause suspension damage. Heck, I've hit a couple curbs in my life, even dented the rims, but didn't do any more than mess with the alignment. Usually its the front wheels that take that kind of abuse, not the rears.

I'm stymied. Yours is a 2017? That's pretty new to have suspension problems. Are you still under warranty? If the wheel is visibly slanted I would expect it to be something obvious and I'm surprised either shop didn't see something right off. I think you may need to take it to a bona fide dealer, or maybe the first shop you went to, for a thorough examination.
Yes the car is a 2017 model 1st gen and the car only has about 44k miles currently on it and I originally got it off of Carvana with about 30k miles on it and haven’t noticed anything with the wheel tilting until 38k miles and that’s when I got the alignment.

So in reality I’m not sure if I’m still under warranty. I think I might go back to the 1st shop and see what they think about it and go in for an inspection. Worst case scenario go to the Jeep dealership and see what they think. I can send a picture of the wheels in the back if it helps and see if you think if it’s severe or not.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’m really sorry to hear when this kind of problems appear, usually it’s not an easy solution that follows. Easy reads as cheap. It’s much better that warranty is still valid.

You said “something was bent” and that something could be a rear shaft-axle right half, try googling with Mopar part number RL085141AC and visit a real mechanics not the tire shop, it’s not an alignment issue and you can make an extra damage if you continue driving it, each road bump could bent it more or even it could crack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m really sorry to hear when this kind of problems appear, usually it’s not an easy solution that follows. Easy reads as cheap. It’s much better that warranty is still valid.

You said “something was bent” and that something could be a rear shaft-axle right half, try googling with Mopar part number RL085141AC and visit a real mechanics not the tire shop, it’s not an alignment issue and you can make an extra damage if you continue driving it, each road bump could bent it more or even it could crack.
Oh lovely! That’s even worse then the wheel bearing! Either way if I call Jeep, give them the VIN number of the car and see if my warranty is still valid, would something like this be covered under the powertrain warranty?

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Used cars are always a gamble, but buying a used car out of a vending machine is about as risky as it gets. I'd bet dollars to donuts that your car suffered some major damage and got a nice looking paint job to cover a lousy repair job. Not that it can't be fixed, but as the story unfolds it's looking more and more like you bought someone else's problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Oh lovely! That’s even worse then the wheel bearing! Either way if I call Jeep, give them the VIN number of the car and see if my warranty is still valid, would something like this be covered under the powertrain warranty?
If you are not the first owner, I highly doubt it. Warranties are rarely transferable.

Even if you are the original owner if it was bent due to abuse or an accident, then no, they won't cover that.

If Carvana gave you a warranty, then maybe they'll stand behind what they sold you . . . but I doubt it.

I think your best solution is to go to a reputable shop, maybe the first one you mentioned, and have them do what it takes to fix it. Then take care of it and make the vehicle pay for itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are not the first owner, I highly doubt it. Warranties are rarely transferable.

Even if you are the original owner if it was bent due to abuse or an accident, then no, they won't cover that.

If Carvana gave you a warranty, then maybe they'll stand behind what they sold you . . . but I doubt it.

I think your best solution is to go to a reputable shop, maybe the first one you mentioned, and have them do what it takes to fix it. Then take care of it and make the vehicle pay for itself.
Well I called a Jeep dealership near me today and gave them my VIN anyways just to see if it had any warranties still on it.

This is what they found, the basic warranty was expired but I still had some time and mileage for my powertrain warranty. I thought about it and decided to make an appointment for this Friday and give the dealership the car to check out.

If it turns out to be an axle or something that the warranty will cover then I’ll have Jeep fix the issue so I don’t have to pay. If it turns out it’s not an axle or something that the warranty can cover and it’s something else, then I’ll take it to a shop where they can replace the part for a cheaper price then what Jeep would want.

Luckily I have another vehicle to drive around in while my compass is being checked over.... and it’s another Jeep LOL

·
Registered
2016 jeep compass latitude 4x4 2.4 lit.
3 Posts
Hey guys so I have a 2017 1st Gen Jeep Compass and I’ve come to you guys for some help.

So here’s the issue, my back right tire when looking at it from the back of the car seems to be tilted with the top of the wheel towards the car, kinda like this symbol here “\”.

Either way I went to a shop to try and get it fixed, but when they were done inspecting the tire they told me that a simple wheel alignment wouldn’t fix the issue because they believed to think something was bent and they weren't sure. So I went to a different shop and did a wheel alignment anyways. (The second shop was a bit cheaper to do an alignment LOL). The issue was not really fixed and the car still has its crooked wheel. So I’m assuming that something IS bent but I don’t know what to look for in terms of what it could be. Also would something like this be fine to just leave alone or to try and get fixed ASAP? I’ve kinda just ignored it since the alignment but I’d like your opinions to see what I can find.

Ok so it sounds like a upper trailing arm bushing,how I know is mine is doing that, also my camber and toe is off, slightly in the rear,I don't wheel it hard, if ever, cheaper on gas that my truck, 1.5 miles to work. Used to be just the right rear now both are doing it.
Mike

·
Registered
2016 jeep compass latitude 4x4 2.4 lit.
3 Posts

Trailing arm bushing
Screenshot_20201118-173620.png

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So for anyone looking on an update on what has happened, here you go.

Instead of taking the Jeep to the dealership on Friday I had it changed to Monday because I was busy Friday. Either way I drop off the car at the dealership Monday and get a call on Tuesday morning about the dealership wanting to do a wheel alignment. Even though I had one done before I took it to the dealership they told me they wanted to do it so they can see for themselves what’s wrong.

I gave them permission to do the wheel alignment and it costed me about $110 JUST for the wheel alignment. Afterwards they called me back later that day and had told me that the rear lateral link assembly was visually bent. I asked them if something like this was covered under the powertrain warranty and they told me that it wasn’t. Furthermore they told me that even something like an axle wasn’t even covered under the warranty. After hearing that my heart sunk, that was the whole reason why I brought the car to the dealership in the first place. The cat still had the powertrain warranty and I thought it would be covered!

Either way since the car was in the dealership I told them to do the necessary repairs and replace the rear lateral link assembly and get it over with. Parts and labor combined costed me $344. A punch in the stomach for me because I practically brought my car to the most expensive mechanic ever... the dealership.

It is now Wednesday and after they replaced the rear lateral link assembly I had gotten another call that the work was done but that the wheel was still slanted .3 degrees. They also told me they couldn’t do any other work because there was nothing that seemed visually bent and that they didn’t have the proper tools to check if anything else was out of place. So they suggested that I take the car to a body shop and have them check it out...

Well when the time came the total bill for everything was $485... yikes... I really don’t know what to do now, and I’m not sure if something like .3 degrees is something to worry about or not.

For shits and giggles I’ll share what they put down on the invoice: “Replaced visually bent passenger rear lateral link and performed wheel alignment. After wheel alignment, right rear alignment spec on camber still out by .3 degrees on maximum allowable negative camber adjustment. Other component (s) damaged. Must systematically replace parts and realign to go further. Suggest insurance to be contacted with body shop repairs to go further. Vehicle is no longer unsafe to drive.”

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the update. What "other components damaged"? They need to finish the report properly if they done inspection properly or the report isn't valid at all. I would insist on that.

Again, sorry, it's terrible going thru this nightmare.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Yeah, it wasn't covered by the warranty probably because 1) suspension is not part of the drive-train, and 2) suspension components don't bend on their own -- maybe abuse or more likely and accident before you owned it. That's why they suggested you go to the insurance company, but if the accident happened before you owned it, they aren't going to help either.

Your dealership said in writing that it wasn't unsafe, so no worries there.

Yes, dealerships charge more, but they should be better than the average garage (I know I'm going to hear about that statement). In your case, at least they fixed it and didn't just take your money and send you walking like the others did. To have the bent part replaced would have required alignment anyway, so you didn't waste money this time.

.3 degrees might cause a tire to wear unevenly, or it may not be noticeable, particularly if it's in the rear. If you keep your tires rotated they may last as long as any. I'd say just keep an eye on that tire. Any shop, and especially a tire shop, should bring uneven wear to your attention when they do a rotation.

At least they're honest with you. You woudn't know if it was off .3 degrees unless they told you. They could have lied and said you were all set and you'd be none the wiser. They told you the truth, it's as good as they could get it. How do you react if your kid brings home a 97 on a math test? Do you ground the kid or go out for ice cream? 'nuf said

1 - 17 of 17 Posts