My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL...funny story.

Today I went to a car wash, one where you sit inside and the machine moves you along. My doors were unlocked. And in the middle of the carwash my dome light comes on, I look down at the dash and it says my back door is open. I look. Sure enough the car wash managed to open my back door. Soap and water flying everywhere. LOL. Luckily I was able to partially close it.

So, moral of the story. Lock your doors when going into the car wash.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me. The right rear door opened by the car wash "bangers". That's what I call those heavy cloth strips. They can be loud at times when they're "banging" away on the vehicle.

Luckily there was no noticeable water or soap on my adventure! 8)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Are the doors opening because of where the handles are located on the rear doors?

I've never had to lock my doors on any car that I've owned before when I've gone through a car wash.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neely2005 said:
Are the doors opening because of where the handles are located on the rear doors?

I've never had to lock my doors on any car that I've owned before when I've gone through a car wash.
Truthfully I've never had any problems in other car washes, My doors are usually unlocked because I get out of the car just before entering the car wash to remove my magnetic bumperstickers. I was away visiting my sister in Panama City and used a car wash there and the brushes opened up the car door. I think it's because the door handles are verticle rather than hortizontal. I know the Xttera has this too, but they created "dimples" for the handle, whereas the Compass the handles "pop-out." I guess one could solve this be turning off the Auto Unlock feature when I open the driver door. To me it's not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always use the touch free car washes.
They just put a new one down the street from me that you drive in and park and everything goes around you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
yeah the touch free are supposed to be better for the paint, but they just don't work as well if the car is really dirty. Still though, I prefer the touchless ones, want to keep the paint looking new :)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Thanks, AmercanEagleDude. I really needed a good laugh today, and that was it. You probably are right, though, the way those handles are, I can definitely see where that could happen, and although I am sure it wasn't very funny at the time, I got a chuckle out of it. Usually, I wash and wax mine at home. Your moral of the story sounds like the way to go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts