My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
...keep your cellphone out of your hands so you're not tempted to use it.
Hey Captain obvious, OP actually asked where people are putting their phones (as opposed to holding them!)
Where is everybody placing their cell phone in this vehicle..
Get off your high horse, they didn't say ANYTHING about using it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just a thought....i think when most people say they DONT use their phone while driving, they're actually not being 100% truthful.

if you have a cellphone, the probability that you have never operated it while driving a vehicle is pretty low.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Captain obvious, OP actually asked where people are putting their phones (as opposed to holding them!)
Get off your high horse, they didn't say ANYTHING about using it.
I don't believe you. No reason to be insulting or argumentative. We just fundamentally disagree on the motivation for this thread.

Plus my phone fits just fine in front of the stick. :devil:

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
just a thought....i think when most people say they DONT use their phone while driving, they're actually not being 100% truthful.

if you have a cellphone, the probability that you have never operated it while driving a vehicle is pretty low.
Well your not wrong. There have been times in my life where I have, I mean not to the level that I see to this day, like even if I sent a text, I was patient enough to send a letter at a time to avoid being distracted for more than half a second. But really shouldn't we be past that? I mean just even with basic infotainment capabilities with BT, there should be very little people would need their phone for. With Android Auto on my Compass there is zero reason to touch my phone other than to restart it because Waze is screwing up (something I usually figure out before I leave my driveway).

The downside is obvious though. With AA I still need to have my phone plugged in. Which means it's outside my pants pocket, which means I need a place to stuff it. I am small guy so stuffing it in the netting on the passenger side while not completely out of reach is sub optimal. Since I rarely have a passenger I have been making do with using one of the cup holders but honestly I'd have liked a better spot. A couple inches tall or longer and I could use the arm rest, guess that is the downside of using a larger phone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't believe you. No reason to be insulting or argumentative. We just fundamentally disagree on the motivation for this thread.

Damn I thought my phone was old! I guess if I got my 1998 Samsung out it would fit somewhere. Does that thing even have a data plan?

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now that I've got some decent seat time in my Compass, I'll weigh in again.
If I'm driving by myself (the journey to and from work) I usually toss my phone on the passenger seat. I had my phone plugged into the USB long enough to hook up Android Auto, but haven't used that since. IF I utilized A/A I would likely drop the phone in the side net (which I agree... sure would have been nice to have another net on the drivers side!!) Being 6'1", no issues reaching over to grab it when I exit the vehicle.
My phone won't fit in the little shifter nook (lol) so when I've got a passenger, I either leave it in my jacket pocket (which I am HOPING I won't be wearing much longer, c'mon spring!) OR I put my phone in the door pocket. (Rarely have a drink in the door anyhow.)
Still waiting for my drop-in tray for the center counsel to arrive from China... According to the tracking it's in transit,but still in China. ETA between this Saturday and the middle of next month. Lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Let me just ask a question. If you have a passenger in the vehicle and you want to charge your phone, where do you put it?

It is very hard to plug your phone into either the USB or the power point if your phone is in your pocket or in the drivers door. That being said, there is almost zero room for your phone (I use my cup holder for cups and also storage (id badge for work, gum, etc)) and FCA would have hit a huge home run if they would have put one of those side nets on the drivers side. Also, they would have made a home run if they put in a tray for the center counsel and put a power point or an USB port in there as well. I am still investigating if the center counsel can be changed out and one with an USB port can be added.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ah yes... If it needs charged, I kinda sit it ON the nook by the shifter, since it won't fit IN that nook. Still waiting on the center counsel tray from China, that could well be a game changer if it works as well as I'm hoping.

·
Registered
114 Posts
And on my Compass I've got the USB port on the back of the center counsel... Wouldn't have to worry about running the cord from the front USB. Just have to worry about passengers breaking it. Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does the USB port in the back work with Android Auto / CarPlay? Any idea how the car decides which one to use if you have a phone plugged into both USB ports?

·
Registered
68 Posts
the old bodystyle 2017 75th anniversary compass that we have - has this GREAT little shelf on the right hand side just above the glove that is 100% awesome for holding phones and other small items. and I mean AWESOME.

wish my 2018 Cherokee had that =/

·
Registered
15 Posts

What don't you believe, from my post. Specifically?
I was cordial in my 1st reply. Your ASSuming - knowitall attitude precipitated my 2nd reply since you are injecting something into the thread starters post so that you can spew your obvious distaste for people who use their phones while they drive.
IF you would like to rant about that, by all means, start a thread about it. Then your pet peeves will be on topic.
Injecting said pet peeves into this thread is Not on topic of Where drivers put their phones.
So, there's my reason; people going off topic to promote their soap box diatribes

:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
136 Posts
What don't you believe, from my post. Specifically?
I was cordial in my 1st reply. Your ASSuming - knowitall attitude precipitated my 2nd reply since you are injecting something into the thread starters post so that you can spew your obvious distaste for people who use their phones while they drive.
IF you would like to rant about that, by all means, start a thread about it. Then your pet peeves will be on topic.
Injecting said pet peeves into this thread is Not on topic of Where drivers put their phones.
So, there's my reason; people going off topic to promote their soap box diatribes

:eek:fftopic:
Oh no, I didn't know the internet police were going to pull me over this quickly! grin:

I don't believe that you or the OP are asking about the alleged "lack" of cell phone storage because you don't want to be able to use it while driving. There are MANY options to store a phone in the Compass, as discussed in this thread by all of us on-topic posters : your pocket, the glove box, the passenger side net, the door panel, or the center console. The reason these are not adequate is of course because people want to easily access the phone while driving. You keep omitting that the OP wanted to mount it on a vent. Me reading this and realizing what it means is not "injecting" anything. Is there some reason you don't ever quote this part of the OP? People mount their phones on the vent so they CAN'T use it while driving. Am I understanding you correctly in this regard?

As for the rest of your insulting pile of a post...The OP asked about storage, I said where I store my phone. That is not off-topic. My mentioning the real danger about using cellphones while driving is not a "pet peeve", nor a rant, nor is it off-topic. It is precisely on-topic because the suggestion I give is to use any of the cellphone storage that doesn't allow you access to the phone, and use the Jeep's hands-free features. This is just better for everyone on the road. This response appears to have rubbed you the wrong way, as you instantly got quite defensive, and decided to just personally attack me. It's OK I have a thick skin and have dealt with internet keyboard warriors for a long time.

Save your soapbox "i'm just here to keep the thread on topic" diatribe. The only one I see posting off topic is you. You have not posted where you are putting your phone at all. You have only posted attempts to convince the world that you're not going to use your phone while driving, the OP doesn't want to use his phone while driving, and flinging insults in response to my suggestion. Again, I don't believe you or your feigned altruism. We get it, you and the OP are "not going to use the phone while driving", but yet are not able to store it in any of the above locations. If you are just here to keep the thread on-topic, then please, mention where you put your phone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Let me just ask a question. If you have a passenger in the vehicle and you want to charge your phone, where do you put it?

It is very hard to plug your phone into either the USB or the power point if your phone is in your pocket or in the drivers door. That being said, there is almost zero room for your phone (I use my cup holder for cups and also storage (id badge for work, gum, etc)) and FCA would have hit a huge home run if they would have put one of those side nets on the drivers side. Also, they would have made a home run if they put in a tray for the center counsel and put a power point or an USB port in there as well. I am still investigating if the center counsel can be changed out and one with an USB port can be added.
The center console does appear to have a notch in it, so you can close the lid and have a phone plugged in to the USB/12V charger, or the rear USB port (if you have one).

I tried it out with my phone and it worked. The only problem I have is that my 12V charger is one of those coiled cables, so it was pulling a bit on the phone while it was in the center console. I also know from experience with my wife's smartphone that they do get quite hot while they're on and in an enclosed space like this, so it might not be the best place if you're concerned about that sort of thing.

The one in the back is for charging only (from what I have heard).
I plug my USB flash drive with podcasts into the rear USB port and they play just fine. If you have a phone plugged into the front, and the flash drive in the back, then two sources show up in the Media app.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The reason I started the post is because I like to have my phone plugged into the USB port for charging and the Android auto capabilities. So pocket, glovebox, center console are not convenient for me. I've been using the mesh net on the passenger side but is a bit of a pain to reach over there all the time. Vent mount would be convenient for ease of setting it down and taking it out going in and out of the vehicle and would also work well for access to the USB port.

Thanks for the enjoyable posts... Enjoy life folks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't believe you.

You keep omitting that the OP wanted to mount it on a vent. Me reading this and realizing what it means is not "injecting" anything. Is there some reason you don't ever quote this part of the OP? People mount their phones on the vent so they CAN'T use it while driving. Am I understanding you correctly in this regard?

blah blah.
What a complete cop out. OP simply asked where to store it & didn't like the vent. THAT'S why I left that out.
"Store" to me equalled secure. No one likes their expensive phone sliding all over the car. YOU injected your superfluous, in regards to what the OP asked, BS. So you save your bs & stick your little 90's phone where it doesn't shine. My 1st reply was not an instantaneous defensive reaction. I let you reply & only responded like I did when you went off & responded with your NHTSA bulletin about people using their phone while driving. The rest of us will discuss where we store ours. I keep mine plugged into Android Auto so there isn't a convenient, secure place, as of yet.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts