My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Cell Phone Storage

37K views 99 replies 38 participants last post by  Rodjer123 
#1 ·
Where is everybody placing their cell phone in this vehicle... I've been looking at air vent mounts, but I'm not sure I want to go that route, especially when it is AC weather.

#2 ·
I run a DuraForce Pro, which is a larger phone. Either the door pocket (the one you open / close with), passenger seat, or the pocket on the right side of the console. Jeep forgot it was 2017. Same goes for sunglasses. Not a lot of options. I do have Blue Ridge Overland Gear sun visor pouches to keep small stuff in. They were in my previous vehicles.

#3 ·
Let me apologize in advance because I don't have any pictures right now, and even if I did I'm not 100% ready to show it off, but I 3D printed an (almost) exact fit tray for the center armrest console that incorporates a dock for my android phone, the dock connects to the rear USB port for Android Auto use.

So basically, if the trip is going to be short (ie, 8 minutes to work or back) I probably don't even take my phone out of my pocket and I just let it connect via bluetooth in case someone calls me, I'll listen to one or two songs off satellite radio.

Any other trip, I get in, pull my phone out of my pocket, open the center console and drop my phone on the dock, and close it up. Android Auto connects, which if you haven't used it means the screen of the phone does nothing its only on the radio/screen from that point forward, and then I use the radio screen to interact with my phone for spotify and navigation for the rest of that trip.

I was going to design and 3D print a phone dock for that tiny tray in front of the shifter and use the front USB port, but I abandoned that when I realized
1) it did me no good to get the phone up there (where I can see it) if the phone screen is going to be blank during android auto use anyways, and
2) my phone (like many) is fairly big making it hard to make a dock there that doesn't block controls or things you might want. The 12v port/cigarette lighter would be blocked, if you build it as a portrait-mode dock it blocks the bottom part of some climate controls, if you build it as a landscape-mode dock it blocks the active drive/4x4 knob/buttons.... so ...
into the center console it went.

I have been meaning to improve on my center console tray/dock contraption, fix some minor flaws and maybe expand the design to have a somewhat universal/adjustable fit for phones so that it could be used by others. The part about turning it into a docking station with USB support is a little tricky, you have to be willing to do a little DIY work with a hot glue gun to get the proper connector for your phone locked into the right place so that as the phone slides in it lines up with the connector. This varies a lot from phone to phone, and even a phone with a case vs a phone with no case (my dock is designed around the dimensions of the case I have on my phone). Its really nice once its done though.

I admit sometimes having to open the center console lid to put my phone in is more work than I feel like doing (first world problems). I've been considering some kind of front dock that would use the front USB port and hang the phone on the side of the console on the passenger side, kinda near where that passenger-side pocket with the stretch webbing is but closer and easier for driver-side reach. Haven't decided yet, but my criteria is no blocked buttons/controls, no blocked air vents, no lost use of cupholders, no cords hanging all over. I prefer not to have a step involving having to grab a cord and plug it into my phone (dock). If anyone has some good ideas and some CAD skill let me know. I'm a beginner so my design skills are pretty low but I have the 3D printer to bring ideas to life.

#7 ·
Let me apologize in advance because I don't have any pictures right now, and even if I did I'm not 100% ready to show it off, but I 3D printed an (almost) exact fit tray for the center armrest console that incorporates a dock for my android phone, the dock connects to the rear USB port for Android Auto use.

So basically, if the trip is going to be short (ie, 8 minutes to work or back) I probably don't even take my phone out of my pocket and I just let it connect via bluetooth in case someone calls me, I'll listen to one or two songs off satellite radio.

Any other trip, I get in, pull my phone out of my pocket, open the center console and drop my phone on the dock, and close it up. Android Auto connects, which if you haven't used it means the screen of the phone does nothing its only on the radio/screen from that point forward, and then I use the radio screen to interact with my phone for spotify and navigation for the rest of that trip.

I was going to design and 3D print a phone dock for that tiny tray in front of the shifter and use the front USB port, but I abandoned that when I realized

1) it did me no good to get the phone up there (where I can see it) if the phone screen is going to be blank during android auto use anyways, and

2) my phone (like many) is fairly big making it hard to make a dock there that doesn't block controls or things you might want. The 12v port/cigarette lighter would be blocked, if you build it as a portrait-mode dock it blocks the bottom part of some climate controls, if you build it as a landscape-mode dock it blocks the active drive/4x4 knob/buttons.... so ...

into the center console it went.

I have been meaning to improve on my center console tray/dock contraption, fix some minor flaws and maybe expand the design to have a somewhat universal/adjustable fit for phones so that it could be used by others. The part about turning it into a docking station with USB support is a little tricky, you have to be willing to do a little DIY work with a hot glue gun to get the proper connector for your phone locked into the right place so that as the phone slides in it lines up with the connector. This varies a lot from phone to phone, and even a phone with a case vs a phone with no case (my dock is designed around the dimensions of the case I have on my phone). Its really nice once its done though.

I admit sometimes having to open the center console lid to put my phone in is more work than I feel like doing (first world problems). I've been considering some kind of front dock that would use the front USB port and hang the phone on the side of the console on the passenger side, kinda near where that passenger-side pocket with the stretch webbing is but closer and easier for driver-side reach. Haven't decided yet, but my criteria is no blocked buttons/controls, no blocked air vents, no lost use of cupholders, no cords hanging all over. I prefer not to have a step involving having to grab a cord and plug it into my phone (dock). If anyone has some good ideas and some CAD skill let me know. I'm a beginner so my design skills are pretty low but I have the 3D printer to bring ideas to life.

Photos please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
@ arudlang

Daing!
(That is a kind of "Southern" colloquial expression that people in the south and western USA say, when they are very impressed...)

And please do post a few pictures. Years ago I built an airplane from scratch (took two years) had the FAA came out and inspect it, gave me their "blessings" and a tail number and I went flying, but I'm not talented enough to 3D print my own cell phone holder for my Compass. I'm probably the only idiot on this forum who rides around in a Jeep, with an iPhone 7 Plus in his shirt pocket.

#8 ·
Ok, ok! I will get on it! I want to change some things and print a new one actually, the first version is functional but lets just say I'm glad its in the center console where nobody's eyeballs have to see it. I will get back to the drawing board this weekend and fix the embarrassingly bad parts, print a fresh one, and try to get it documented and photographed for you guys. If its any good I'll post the model on thingiverse so anyone else with access to a 3D printer can run one off too.

#9 ·
Its just too darn cold to play with this stuff right now, its -20 outside currently! I am working on a new design though, slowly. I'm trying to come up with something that leaves more of the rest of the console open for storage of other things and something that is easily adapted to fit different sizes of phones, this one I have now is built just for my phone with its particular case. But as I said, its way too cold to be sitting out there measuring and experimenting. Might be more of an early spring thing but keep reminding me! (Or if anyone else knows CAD stuff, feel free to take over)

#12 ·
I bought a stick on magnetic stand that came with 2 metal plates to stick to the back of your phone and mounted it directly between the a vents side by side on the center console. I bought it at walmart for $14 and never had any issues. I also had the same product on my Honda when I owned one.

#14 ·
I bought one (actually 2 in the kit) of these. It's not perfect, but it works. I use an old Altoids case to hold spare change.

>> I'd submit the link, but the application is saying that I need more than one post. Anyway, look up "accessory organizer car" in Amazon. I got this one -

Car Seat Pockets PU Leather Car Console Side Organizer Seat Gap Filler Catch Caddy for Cellphone Wallet Coin Key with Non-Slip Mat 9.2x6.5x2.1 inch Black(2 Pack)Powertiger

#16 ·
I just bought a drop in tray for the center counsel off of Amazon for $15, so that may be an option when/if it arrives.
I'll definitely have to check to see if my phone fits in the armrest though... Wouldn't in my old car, so I didn't think to try in the Jeep. ?
One of those problems the engineers didn't foresee?

#17 ·
my phone stays in my pocket. You are not allowed to use it while driving. You can kill people if you are distracted by a phone.

I like that there is a DND mode when the phone connects bluetooth that I can enable so if someone texts me it sends a text back that says I'm driving and I'll contact them later. If I need to call my wife I can call through the bluetooth without ever taking the phone out of my pocket, using the steering wheel voice command.

#19 ·
The OP asked about mounting it on a vent, obviously so it's in plain view and can be used while driving. How does using google maps while driving NOT count as using a cellphone while driving?

Despite people outright denying that they do it, A horrifying number of people use their phones while driving.

I learned how to drive (and delivered pizza for 5 years) long before the advent of GPS and well before cellphones. So no, I don't need the crutch of google maps to navigate. I don't own a smartphone and I don't suffer from compulsive-checking-cellphone disorder. Sorry but I can't really empathize with your needs.

On a side note the last vehicle I owned had a built-in GPS, and while novel, it was hard wired to not operate controls as long as the car was in motion. In order to use the GPS you had to pull over to a complete stop. I wish they would put this feature on all smartphones in the US, it might save some lives.

I think car companies not having a spot in the console for a cellphone is a step in the right direction. They have the android auto/ apple app thing so you can project your maps app on the Uconnect screen, and keep your cellphone out of your hands so you're not tempted to use it.

#20 ·
I’ve just been plugging it in for Apple CarPlay then sticking it in the netting on the passenger side. I’m really trying to avoid cluttering up the dashboard or windshield with a holder. I wish there was a better spot to put it though. Thought about getting one of those rubber no slip pads for the dash but I don’t want it to melt onto the dash...not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
just a thought....i think when most people say they DONT use their phone while driving, they're actually not being 100% truthful.

if you have a cellphone, the probability that you have never operated it while driving a vehicle is pretty low.

#27 · (Edited)
Well your not wrong. There have been times in my life where I have, I mean not to the level that I see to this day, like even if I sent a text, I was patient enough to send a letter at a time to avoid being distracted for more than half a second. But really shouldn't we be past that? I mean just even with basic infotainment capabilities with BT, there should be very little people would need their phone for. With Android Auto on my Compass there is zero reason to touch my phone other than to restart it because Waze is screwing up (something I usually figure out before I leave my driveway).

The downside is obvious though. With AA I still need to have my phone plugged in. Which means it's outside my pants pocket, which means I need a place to stuff it. I am small guy so stuffing it in the netting on the passenger side while not completely out of reach is sub optimal. Since I rarely have a passenger I have been making do with using one of the cup holders but honestly I'd have liked a better spot. A couple inches tall or longer and I could use the arm rest, guess that is the downside of using a larger phone.

#29 ·
Now that I've got some decent seat time in my Compass, I'll weigh in again.
If I'm driving by myself (the journey to and from work) I usually toss my phone on the passenger seat. I had my phone plugged into the USB long enough to hook up Android Auto, but haven't used that since. IF I utilized A/A I would likely drop the phone in the side net (which I agree... sure would have been nice to have another net on the drivers side!!) Being 6'1", no issues reaching over to grab it when I exit the vehicle.
My phone won't fit in the little shifter nook (lol) so when I've got a passenger, I either leave it in my jacket pocket (which I am HOPING I won't be wearing much longer, c'mon spring!) OR I put my phone in the door pocket. (Rarely have a drink in the door anyhow.)
Still waiting for my drop-in tray for the center counsel to arrive from China... According to the tracking it's in transit,but still in China. ETA between this Saturday and the middle of next month. Lol

#30 ·
Let me just ask a question. If you have a passenger in the vehicle and you want to charge your phone, where do you put it?

It is very hard to plug your phone into either the USB or the power point if your phone is in your pocket or in the drivers door. That being said, there is almost zero room for your phone (I use my cup holder for cups and also storage (id badge for work, gum, etc)) and FCA would have hit a huge home run if they would have put one of those side nets on the drivers side. Also, they would have made a home run if they put in a tray for the center counsel and put a power point or an USB port in there as well. I am still investigating if the center counsel can be changed out and one with an USB port can be added.

#38 ·
The center console does appear to have a notch in it, so you can close the lid and have a phone plugged in to the USB/12V charger, or the rear USB port (if you have one).

I tried it out with my phone and it worked. The only problem I have is that my 12V charger is one of those coiled cables, so it was pulling a bit on the phone while it was in the center console. I also know from experience with my wife's smartphone that they do get quite hot while they're on and in an enclosed space like this, so it might not be the best place if you're concerned about that sort of thing.

The one in the back is for charging only (from what I have heard).
I plug my USB flash drive with podcasts into the rear USB port and they play just fine. If you have a phone plugged into the front, and the flash drive in the back, then two sources show up in the Media app.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.