My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - my dad just bought a 4x4 2012 Jeep Compass North Edition (his first Jeep!). The tires currently on there are aftermarkets, 215/60/17; he has a set of Winter Tires from his previous car (M Outlander), and was wondering if they would work fine - they are 225/60/16s. One mechanic (he seemed genuine, for what it's worth) told us the rims would be fine but we'd need 215/65/16 tires for them (the 225 tires would be iffy), while another, this one at a Jeep Dealership said they would be just fine, no problem. Can anyone advise? Safety for my dad is my main concern, followed by any ill-effects, maintenance issues wise.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There is not much difference in these sizes, and Compass and Outlanders have similar wheel specs. 225/60/16 is slightly small for a Compass. It would work but would make the speedometer slightly inaccurate. 225/65/16 or 215/70/16 would be better.
Another approach would be to go with all weather tires on the 17" rims, such as 225/60/17 Toyo Celsius CUV. They are ice and snow rated but can be used year round.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts