My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Change Oil Indicator

53K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tinkerbelle 
#1 ·
I had my first oil change Friday at 3,000 miles. The Change Oil indicator came on at 2,500 miles. I can't get it to turn off! I've read the manual and know you are supposed to put the car in on possition, pump the gas 3 times and turn back off. I tried this many times and still can't get it off. When I called the dealer they said I should have had the oil changed at the dealer, but offered to turn it off if I stopped in. I'd like to know the 'trick' to turning it off on my own. I plan to have the oil changes taken care of away from the dealer and don't want to stop by every 2,500 miles to have their service department turn off the light.

#2 ·
I followed the instructions in the owners manual to reset the change oil indicator and it worked as advertised.

"1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not
start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times
within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary repeat this procedure."

#5 ·
I took it in last night and made a point to ask the to show me how to reset it. They did three quick forcefull jabs. (which I thought I'd tried) So hopefully in 2500 Miles if it comes right on, I can take care of it on my own. They did give me a little crap for taking it somewhere else for oil.
Thanks for suggestions,
-L :)

#6 ·
Just a note... We were given three years of free oil changes from the dealer when we purchased our Compass, so needless to say, that is where we get our oil changed. After the first oil change my wife told me the change oil indicator was still lit. They neglected to reset it at the dealer. That's when I looked it up in the owner's manual. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.