My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday, I had my first oil change done, via a free oil change at my dealer.

So yesterday, the odometer turned over to 2,500. And the change oil light came on. I called the dealer today, and was told that they should have told me, but what need to do is to turn the ignition on (not start it) and pump the gas pedal 3 times. Then it will take a block or so of driving before the light goes off.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
So the dealer did not do the reset for the oil change calculation. Dumb dealer's mechanic should know they have to reset the setting at every oil change whether the light is on or not. Otherwise you'll get it coming on prematurely.

I'd find another dealer or GOOD garage to do your next oil change and I don't wait for the light to come on. 4000-5000 miles max and you should change it and do the reset which is up and down three times within 10 seconds. In the owners manual as well.

If the tech doesn't know that he has no business changing oil. What else didn't he do right (changed the oil filter?).

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yes Barbara, that is the correct procedure to reset the light. It is duty cycle based, so resetting it now will help it to stay in sync with the mileage they have listed for your next oil change.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than having purchased a used car in 1994, and having a dent repair done in the late 90's, the oil change is the only service I've had done with this dealer.

Neglecting to tell me about the "change engine light" makes me very skeptical about the quality of their work.

Fortunately, we have a very trustworthy mechanic who has a shop a few blocks away from our home that we rely on for non-warranty work that we can't do ourselves.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Not only should they have told you about it, but they should have gone ahead and reset it, like they're supposed to when you get your oil changed at the dealer.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Can you reset it if it hasn't come on?
Yes, otherwise the computer assumes you have not changed your oil and continues calculating the next oil change. I go the reset procedure after each oil change. I have never seen the alert myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts