My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Compass. Cold wiped out the main factory battery so I replaced that and my car started. How the start/stop isn't working and about 1/4 of my screen inside is black. I've been reading that aux battery is likely the problem, either low or dead. I have a battery tender and was wondering if I could try to charge the aux battery. Is that a thing? Do I hook it up like I would to jump start the main battery? I know I could probably just replace it but want to see if charging is an option since I didn't have a problem until I changed my main battery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting post...I did not know that cold could permanently damage a battery. I thought that if you warmed it back up again it would still work. As far as charging the aux battery, there are accessible terminals that you could put a battery tender on. Here is a picture of the aux battery terminals....please be very careful.

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we got this crazy winter storm in west texas where it never gets as cold as it did. I had a battery charger and attempted to charge my factory battery for hours and my car would never start. Did this over a few days and it wouldnt start. Finally went to replace it and my car started right up. Should the auxiliary battery not be charged? If it's not bad Id hate to have to replace that also. I had no issues with the ESS until I replaced the factory battery.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is the battery I plan on going with. I have and and have had a number of motorcycles through the years.
I always had very good luck with Deka batteries. \
Deka AUX14 Automotive Auxillary Battery AGM (Group 400) 12 Volt 200 CCA | LaBatteries
The other brand I have had excellent service from is YUSA but I yet to find one that will work for the compass.
If you are savvy with electronics you may want to read through this.
ESS Dual Battery Management | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com
My2cents.

Reactions: rvwenger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does it hurt anything to keep driving it even IF the aux battery is low?
Generally yes. When a battery goes bad, it cant reach full voltage. If there is another battery in the system that is good (at a higher voltage), it will charge the bad battery. However it will charge the bad battery forever since the bad battery cant get up to the correct voltage.

That's the best explanation I've heard anyway. I wish we learned a little more about batteries in my schooling.

·
Registered
2017 NextGen Compass Limited, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
3 Posts
We had a similar issue with our 2017 Compass Limited. The auto start stop light came on a while ago but it didn’t bother us because we didn’t have to turn off the auto start. Over the winter we had issues with the remote start working and eventually one day the car wouldn’t start even though we could turn the lights on and honk the horn. Turns out when you drive frequently without leveraging the auto start stop, the auxiliary battery does not have an opportunity to recharge and eventually dies. After $100 and 20 minutes, I swapped in a new aux 14 (400 200 CCA) battery and everything was back to normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts