My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these flush rail clamp-on roof bars marketed by EZREXPM on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C1QJWKJ.
They're well made and fit OK after a bit of modification.
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting
Bicycle part Tool Automotive exterior Gun accessory Household hardware

However, looking at images of the std rails on the Compass it looks like the plastic lip that these clamp under is a snap-on piece of trim. it's retained pretty forcefully, but no actual bolt holding it on - and if the trim were to pull off then it seems to me that the roof bars would come off with it.

Anyone have direct experience, good or bad? Or have any real data on the retention force of the plastic trim on the rails and whether this set up is safe?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Do not have any direct experience with this set up but have had a bad thing happen in the past with a similar one. Rack and surfboards went flying off when high speed passing an 18 wheeler that was coming at me fast in the opposite lane.

I use the cross bar type that bolts directly into those threaded factory rail holes as the factory side rails seem to be secured well. To me that outer plastic portion of the rail does not look very strong and might deform and give under stress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Geoffwaite check out my pics and notes on a very similar set of aftermarket crossbars here: Aftermarket Cross Rail Review & Pics

I found a cheap and easy way to add a bolted aspect to the crappy clamp setup. It's still not great and I haven't really used it for anything other than a 17 pound paddle board at low-ish speeds. I don't trust it much but better than no bolts at all.
Thanks. I found your post andI might just do something similar. Or I might just buy a set of bolt-ons and write this off as a bad experience. The whole idea was to have something quick and easy to take on and off, but it's at the point now where undoing the 8 bolts of bolt-on bars will be easier than trying to use these.

They should not really be allowed to sell these as under the description they have as they are clearly unsafe as you experience shows. Suppose there had been a motorcycle behind you when the bars let go - doesn't bear thinking about. But that's the problem with our on-line free-market society - absolutely no safeguards or regulation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have direct experience, good or bad? Or have any real data on the retention force of the plastic trim on the rails and whether this set up is safe?

Much appreciated!
I have some from amazon that are similar (I never remove them) and I have been happy with the capacity. I have two kayaks and mounded some luggage as well. They have never bowed with tow straps and I have ratcheted them pretty tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts