My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (Stock)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trolling this forum for a couple of months, since buying a '20 Compass Trailhawk, gathering info about aftermarket parts, compatible tires/wheels, etc. There's a lot of good information around here, so thanks to everyone for sprinkling it around.

While I've been browsing here, I've seen numerous threads related to issues with the Tigershark engines burning oil. Because Google is Google, they recommended that I be shown this article:

Just wanted to return some information that I don't see posted yet, since I've picked up some information from here.

Edit: Found the full Class Action paperwork discussed in the article (PDF Warning):
https://www.classaction.org/media/weiner-v-fca-us-llc.pdf

Edit: User Baja-D posted a link to a separate class action suit filed in April (PDF Warning): https://www.classaction.org/media/wood-et-al-v-fca-us-llc.pdf

Edit: And another article discussing the suit I originally linked: Jeep Compass Class Action Lawsuit Says Oil Consumed At 'Furious Pace' | Top Class Actions

From that article, is a link to this article discussing Baja-D's linked suit: Fiat Chrysler Class Action Alleges Excessive Oil Use | Top Class Actions

And also to a third separate suit: Fiat Chrysler Class Action Says Vehicles Have Engine Oil Defect | Top Class Actions

·
1,123 Posts
Next we need a class action suit to get spare tires in our Compi! (I think Compi should be the plural form of Compass ;) )

·
Registered
976 Posts
Any of them with the towing kit also get full size spare. Glad mine doesn't burn enough oil to have to be involved in that mess.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any of them with the towing kit also get full size spare. Glad mine doesn't burn enough oil to have to be involved in that mess.
Same

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine doesn’t burn that much either (it does burn), that I know of, it already has 27k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Our 2019 Sport FWD fortunately does not burn much oil (1 qt./5K miles) and came with a spare tire option (no tow kit).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mine doesn’t burn that much either (it does burn), that I know of, it already has 27k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine used to burn about a court every 5000 to 6,000 mi when I did the oil change. I'm up to 40,000 mi now and I'm seeing barely any burning off.

·
1,123 Posts
FCA can dodge the consumption issue by saying the customer should check the dipstick, but I doubt they can dodge the safety issue: the shutoff without warning -- by design -- is unconscionable. Their design protects the engine from harm but jeopardizes the driver and passengers. How ironic! If I fail to check the oil in my crankcase I deserve to have my engine seize, but I don't deserve to die. Either outcome could be avoided by a simple dashboard warning light.

·
1,123 Posts
Mine used to burn about a court every 5000 to 6,000 mi when I did the oil change. I'm up to 40,000 mi now and I'm seeing barely any burning off.
Likewise my 2018. It used a lot at first (1000/quart) but improved to 3000/quart by about 30,000 miles. My 2019 started out at 3000/quart and is improving. I'm making a long trip (400 miles) this weekend and I'll have a better idea how it's doing. I'll report back.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (Stock)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found reference to a third class action, now. See my latest edit to the OP for the link.

·
Super Moderator
146 Posts
FCA can dodge the consumption issue by saying the customer should check the dipstick, but I doubt they can dodge the safety issue: the shutoff without warning -- by design -- is unconscionable. Their design protects the engine from harm but jeopardizes the driver and passengers. How ironic! If I fail to check the oil in my crankcase I deserve to have my engine seize, but I don't deserve to die. Either outcome could be avoided by a simple dashboard warning light.
Do you have proof that it is by design?

I have seen several people post that, but I have never seen any evidence. I suspect (I have no proof) that when the oil level gets too low the MultiAir valve system cannot actuate the valves properly cuasing the engine to stall.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thats a good point georgef, either way in this motor if you run too low on oil it cannot function, whether its shutting off on its own based on low oil pressure or valves no longer operating, either case you are going to stall out.

·
1,123 Posts
Do you have proof that it is by design?

I have seen several people post that, but I have never seen any evidence. I suspect (I have no proof) that when the oil level gets too low the MultiAir valve system cannot actuate the valves properly cuasing the engine to stall.
Agreed. Maybe I was hasty in my assessment. I was presuming that the engine was designed to operate this way. The shutdown could simply be the result of being too low on oil. Similarly a car is not designed to stall when it runs out of gas -- that's just what happens when the tank gets empty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A low oil warning light or message would have saved the day...too bad for FCA.

Reactions: VT MP and Jasmine
1 - 20 of 36 Posts