My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
1,123 Posts
I said I'd report back after the weekend. I've been 4500 miles since my last oil change and I'm still a tad overfull. I reported on this thread or another that my dealer slightly overfilled it by 1/2 quart at my last oil change. So I've used less than 1/2 quart in 4500 miles. This is not even half as much as my 2018 Compass used at its best. While I wish it was using none, I can live with this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine didn't start till about 37000 miles.
Did they honor warranty? Anyways they always try to fin anything to void it or not service the car over some made up bull, my dealer wouldn’t want to service mine because it had led lights installed, I installed them on a separate circuit, with its own fuse to the battery and I even have a double switch for them so I cannot turn them on by accident. They tried to pin the problem (threw a code and went to limp mode) to the lights. I said no, that’s a serious problem and I’m not going to pick up the car till you try something to fix it. I left my compass at the dealer for like 2 moths, I even went to a business trip to Canada while the Jeep was in the dealership, I even had to open a case with FCA and when they called me and I explained, he said “what a bunch of morons” talking about the dealership. I don’t know what he told them but they did some resets to the modules and the problem has not come back and this was like more than a year ago. Also my led lights are still installed and working. Most of these “techs” and “service advisors” think they know everything without even knowing who they are talking to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 Posts
I said I'd report back after the weekend. I've been 4500 miles since my last oil change and I'm still a tad overfull. I reported on this thread or another that my dealer slightly overfilled it by 1/2 quart at my last oil change. So I've used less than 1/2 quart in 4500 miles. This is not even half as much as my 2018 Compass used at its best. While I wish it was using none, I can live with this.
Have a 2018 Compass Trailhawk...Bought it new...burned abt a quart of oil around 1000 miles.. once or twice.. Now burns no oil Have 33k miles on it.. No problems at all .. Best car i ever owned but is a Trailhawk model

·
Super Moderator
146 Posts
Took long enough!
The recall is not for the oil consumption issue, it is for "excess tailpipe emissions".

While it is a possibility that the oil consumption is causing the excess emissions, we don't know, and FCA isn't saying, that this is the case.

The article is based on this report filed with the SEC: REPORT OF FOREIGN PRIVATE ISSUER (see page 75).

Here is a quote of the relevant section:
"Tigershark Engine

In connection with internal testing, we determined that approximately 1 million vehicles equipped with the 2.4L Tigershark engine may have excess tailpipe emissions. We have notified the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of the potential issue and we are working to identify the population of impacted vehicles as well as a potential solution. Upon the completion of this work, we intend to review our proposed solution with the EPA and will likely initiate a recall campaign. At this stage we are unable to reliably evaluate the likelihood that material costs will be incurred or estimate a range of possible costs.

In addition, putative class action lawsuits have been filed and are pending against FCA US in U.S. District courts in Michigan and California asserting claims under federal and state laws claiming manufacturing and design defects in certain vehicles equipped with the 2.4L Tigershark engine, which has been installed in approximately 1.6 million vehicles sold in the U.S. The claims allege excessive oil consumption. We are evaluating and defending against these actions while we work to assess the claims and, if appropriate, any mitigating action we could take. At this early stage, we are unable to reliably evaluate the likelihood that a loss will be incurred or estimate a range of possible loss."

·
Registered
976 Posts
We'll see if there ends up being any actual recall, I'm skeptical but find it somewhat believable since everyone is more sensitive to emissions issues after the whole Volkswagen ordeal. It does seem plausible that they would dodge admitting the excessive oil burning by calling it an "emissions problem."

I guess we will know if they end up just doing a software update for emissions then clearly the issue would not be related to oil burning, but if they actually truly recall the engines themselves with no remedy then it probably is a piston ring issue or similar deep rooted thing and they are simply trying to get out of calling those motors "oil burners".

·
1,123 Posts
It may be that the excessive emissions are caused by the engine burning oil.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes that is what we are saying. Its like my lawn mower, it runs great but I suspect its emissions are bad because it burns a qt of oil every time I mow the grass, and the crankcase only holds two quarts... might put the emissions a hair off of CARB standards :sneaky:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Saw a "PULL OVER AND PARK SAFELY - ENGINE WILL SHUT DOWN SHORTLY" warning message on my screen above the steering wheel this morning. I was performing a secret experiment and fortunately afterwards, after returning everything to normal, the truck performed correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The recall is not for the oil consumption issue, it is for "excess tailpipe emissions".

While it is a possibility that the oil consumption is causing the excess emissions, we don't know, and FCA isn't saying, that this is the case.

The article is based on this report filed with the SEC: REPORT OF FOREIGN PRIVATE ISSUER (see page 75).

Here is a quote of the relevant section:
"Tigershark Engine

In connection with internal testing, we determined that approximately 1 million vehicles equipped with the 2.4L Tigershark engine may have excess tailpipe emissions. We have notified the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of the potential issue and we are working to identify the population of impacted vehicles as well as a potential solution. Upon the completion of this work, we intend to review our proposed solution with the EPA and will likely initiate a recall campaign. At this stage we are unable to reliably evaluate the likelihood that material costs will be incurred or estimate a range of possible costs.

In addition, putative class action lawsuits have been filed and are pending against FCA US in U.S. District courts in Michigan and California asserting claims under federal and state laws claiming manufacturing and design defects in certain vehicles equipped with the 2.4L Tigershark engine, which has been installed in approximately 1.6 million vehicles sold in the U.S. The claims allege excessive oil consumption. We are evaluating and defending against these actions while we work to assess the claims and, if appropriate, any mitigating action we could take. At this early stage, we are unable to reliably evaluate the likelihood that a loss will be incurred or estimate a range of possible loss."
Agree with this as it isn't an article stating the recall is a definite at all and like you stated in your comment, FCA says the two issues are separate. It's just comical that they will do a full on recall for keeping the government happy based on emissions yet serious safety concerns are still only being "studied"... SMH

·
Registered
229 Posts
Saw a "PULL OVER AND PARK SAFELY - ENGINE WILL SHUT DOWN SHORTLY" warning message on my screen above the steering wheel this morning. I was performing a secret experiment and fortunately afterwards, after returning everything to normal, the truck performed correctly.
Would like to know what your texting for my curiosity.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Some here are worried about the excessive oil consumption and the engine just stopping. I was not doing anything with the oil level but did want to point out that this 2019 truck can give this kind of warning. In my case it had to do with the ESS system that I made some temporary changes to.

Reactions: ndq621 and arudlang
21 - 36 of 36 Posts