My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My Jeep is making a ticking noises when turning the steering wheel. Can't really tell where is coming from. Any help?
Here's a video of the noise. It's a very faint click but it's very annoying.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Change the wheels recently? Retorque the lug nuts as a starter.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey guys,

My Jeep is making a ticking noises when turning the steering wheel. Can't really tell where is coming from. Any help?

Hello dmonarre,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. Have you brought this to the attention of your servicing dealer? If not, I kindly recommend connecting with them as they are in the best position to assist. Our team is available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.
Laura
JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 trail hawk with the very same problem. It started off as faint and now it’s getting worse and worse. I took it to a dealer and they said it’s not an issue and it very clearly is not right.

I have a hunch it’s the rack and pinion, but I really don’t know. Can you feel it VERY slightly in the steering wheel. I feel like I can feel a “clunk” when I turn the wheel. It was very very minimal at first, but now it’s definitely more pronounce. It’s less than 2 years old. Pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey there. Push down on the front. Like bounce on it. The side that’s making the noise. If you can hear the same ticking noise look at the sway bar connection to the spindle looks like a long plastic dog bone. If you have one, try tightening up the nut. Might have backed off. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2018 trail hawk with the very same problem. It started off as faint and now it’s getting worse and worse. I took it to a dealer and they said it’s not an issue and it very clearly is not right.

I have a hunch it’s the rack and pinion, but I really don’t know. Can you feel it VERY slightly in the steering wheel. I feel like I can feel a “clunk” when I turn the wheel. It was very very minimal at first, but now it’s definitely more pronounce. It’s less than 2 years old. Pretty ridiculous.
Luckily I don't feel a clunking in the steering wheel, I'd feel more worried. Just that annoying clicking noise when making the turn an low speeds or while stopped.
Hey there. Push down on the front. Like bounce on it. The side that’s making the noise. If you can hear the same ticking noise look at the sway bar connection to the spindle looks like a long plastic dog bone. If you have one, try tightening up the nut. Might have backed off. Just a thought.
Hey I actually had a sway link issue where I would hear clunking while driving over bumps or cracks. Replaces the links and fixed that. But I still kept hearing the clicking after.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Hello starsandsequoias,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. Have you considered addressing this with your servicing dealer? If not and you decide to go this route, please do not hesitate reaching out to our team if you need any additional assistance throughout that process.
Laura
JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

Hey there! I’m having the same issue as you are. Mine is so loud and it even clicks when I go over things in the road such as speed bumps. I’ve taken it to the dealer 3 or 4 times. Thankfully they are saying that the noise is not right and they’ve had it for days every single time. They’ve replaced the CV axle and struts and tightened everything. They’re at the point they said they have no idea and want an engineer to look at it but of course with the virus going on...an engineer won’t come...it’s extremely frustrating.

·
1,015 Posts
Hey there! I’m having the same issue as you are. Mine is so loud and it even clicks when I go over things in the road such as speed bumps. I’ve taken it to the dealer 3 or 4 times. Thankfully they are saying that the noise is not right and they’ve had it for days every single time. They’ve replaced the CV axle and struts and tightened everything. They’re at the point they said they have no idea and want an engineer to look at it but of course with the virus going on...an engineer won’t come...it’s extremely frustrating.
At least they recognize the problem. It seems many dealers are quick to say "it's normal" or "we can't duplicate the problem." Looks like you've got a good dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Getting a similar noise while turning. It happens only during low speed. While stopped, I can not reproduce the noise. While going over bump does not produce the noise. I have dropped off my car today at the dealership and waiting for their update.

·
Registered
52 Posts
And as expected, they could not reproduce this even after explaining how to do it. The tech said,something could have been inside the caliper.
I am going to have a second opinion ofcourse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Recently I have had the similar issue - clicking sound while turning with low speed.
As it turned out later, it was the front suspension stabilizer link bar 68503551AA (or 68246496AD).
The official dealer replaced both of them (left and right) free of charge (under warranty) and that fixed the problem...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Getting a similar noise while turning. It happens only during low speed. While stopped, I can not reproduce the noise. While going over bump does not produce the noise. I have dropped off my car today at the dealership and waiting for their update.
We regret to hear about your experience with your Jeep Compass. If you would like any assistance while working with your dealer, or finding another dealer for a second opinion, please send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

1 - 14 of 14 Posts