My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just purchased a 2018 Jeep Compass and let the finance guy talk me into a CNA extended warranty. I walked in the room planning to say no, left feeling like a patsy, and have been doubting the decision ever since. Anyone here gone thru the same? Ultimately worth it or a waste of money? Any and all experiences please! And thanks!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
After getting my Compass, I received offers from FCS for the lifetime Warranty. I have no qualms about getting it since I will own this one for a while and I put a lot of miles (18000 in 8 months) on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did the exact same thing. Walked in thinking, no add-ons, walked out with the 100k warranty, paint and interior protection, and a tire care service. I don't regret it one bit, because I plan to drive this vehicle into the ground.

·
768 Posts
When I bought my 2008 Patriot they offered the factory warranty at no charge. I wouldn't have paid for it, but it turns out they replaced my transmission twice and also fixed a leak once. I also spent $1200 of my own money to fix a wiring problem that was not covered by the warranty.

Typically I do not get the lifetime warranties, for several reasons:
1) I figure the money I save will cover the first major repair and I usually keep a vehicle through only one major repair.
2) Usually if a vehicle survives the first 30,000 miles without trouble, it will go the distance.
3) If you want to do any mods, they may invalidate your warranty. (I know a situation where someone had an aftermarket sunroof installed in a Volvo. When he had a wiring problem he was OOL.)
4) Read the small print; it may not cover as much as you think, or there may be expensive conditions. Extended warranties are usually not as thorough as the original factory warranty and you may not have the same legal protections as with the original warranty.

I only ever bought one extended warranty. It was an aftermarket warranty and when I needed it the company that sold it was gone. I was out the money for the warranty AND the money for the repair. :( Just because a dealer sells it doesn't mean its a factory warranty. I don't know about your case, but be aware.

In my case, considering these warranties are a bet against the vehicle, I've bet for it not against it, and I've won every time. Since I really milked the free warranty on my Patriot, odds are I'll never have another vehicle that needs that much expensive work. Never did before, doubt I will again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I purchased the plan for my ford flex. It just saved me $2900 at the dealer so I'm pretty happy. It expires in 1500 miles so hopefully nothing happens after or at least hapoens before!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts