My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my Jeep compass People next year in moving to Alaska and i know alot of y are from up North so i beat ya are the People to ask but should i do to get my Jeep ready for those cold ass days and night (-Zero temps)

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
After having an MK for 6 winters in a row, here are a few things

Even not being plugged in it would start in very cold temperatures, however in preparation you could do the following.

1. Block heater, or oilpan heater if your compass didn't have one factory installed.

2. Larger capacity battery, the stock battery is pretty wimpy and small.

3. Battery blanket (warmer) keeps the battery warm (relative to ambient) temperature, so it doesn't lose as much cranking power (cord = lower cranking amps)

4. Synthetic oil instead of conventional oil, since synthetic retains its viscosity (ability to stay a thinner liquid vs gelling up and being thicker when cold)

If you take those precautions your compass will start all the time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After having an MK for 6 winters in a row, here are a few things

Even not being plugged in it would start in very cold temperatures, however in preparation you could do the following.

1. Block heater, or oilpan heater if your compass didn't have one factory installed.

2. Larger capacity battery, the stock battery is pretty wimpy and small.

3. Battery blanket (warmer) keeps the battery warm (relative to ambient) temperature, so it doesn't lose as much cranking power (cord = lower cranking amps)

4. Synthetic oil instead of conventional oil, since synthetic retains its viscosity (ability to stay a thinner liquid vs gelling up and being thicker when cold)

If you take those precautions your compass will start all the time.
im thinking about getting a battery like u have and on the battery blanket what powers it when the Jeep is off is it the battery it self also which would be better and easier to install the block heater or oil pan heater and i use Pennzoil Platinum : Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil realy want to get everything ready bevor i moved to Alaska

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Battery blanket I have is just plugged into a 3 way adaptor, so I can have the block heater and battery blanket on one extension cord.

If you invested in a battery like mine (they aren't cheap) and a battery blanket you probably could get away without a block heater.

As I said before lots of times in really cold weather my vehicle would start without being plugged in.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i kniw that they arnt cheap $250-$400 but i much rather pay more to get the good stuff that will last and i see so the battery blanket and block heater just plugs into an outlet thx for ll the help tyler u always have good info for me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts