My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was jsut wondering if anyone with a FWD 5 speed could tell me how good these vehicles actually are in the snow? I am from Colorado but I am in college in Iowa right now and we haven't got any snow. I have been excited to take this car in the snow for the first time but it hasn't snowed so i was wondering if anyone had any comments about them in the snow.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Good snow tires of course.
The 4WD is wonderful in the snow.
Even if your FWD is Front WD, and not Four WD, it should handle like a champ "Up on Cripple Creek".

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Good name for a Hallowen reunion site though !!!! :)

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
lol............and the beats goes on..........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got snow today here in Iowa. I am very impressed with how it performed in the snow. I stopped on a couple hills and took off. once i turned the esp to partial off it moved right on up both of them. This is all with the factory tires. Then i took it into an empty parking lot and had some fun. best front wheel drive i have ever driven in the snow.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
esp partial off............how did you that may I ask ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The esp has 1 mode on a front wheel drive and 2 modes on the 4 wheel drive. on the front wheel drive if you just hit the esp button it goes to partial off. on the 4 wheel drives you have that mode then you also have a full off mode. if you hold the esp button for 5 or 10 seconds I forget which one, you will get a message that says espoff in the odometer information area. but since i only have a front wheel drive i only have the partial off option.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I turn my esp full off and it seems to have enough pull to get me anywhere, even on ice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya they say to only use it in the most extreme off road and low traction situations, but I don't have that option so i use the next best thing and it works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know about the 5-speed, but my Compass and I had a blast in the snow storm that's hitting Chicago today! WOW!!! My Wrangler never performed as well. Then again, my Wrangler doesn't have an ABS that acts like traction control. You know how when you're on a highway in a snowstorm and the area between the lanes is all full of slush, and there's even a slush-ridge running right down the middle of your lane and you go to change lanes and the slush tells you and your car to just go straight and not to even THINK about it? The Compass flips the slush it's middle slot and plows on through. I LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have about a foot of snow here right now. We are just getting pounded and i am one of the only cars that can even move lol. I am passing cars pulled over that are drifted in. and mine is only FWD i can't imagine a 4x4, but i kinda wish i had snow tires cuz my roomy has a ford ranger RWD with good snow tires and it was getting around just fine an hour ago but he cant even move now.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Gents.......one way to go and it's with good snow tires.....much safer too !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so i tried getting out this morning and there is a 5 foot drift behind my compass. When i tried rockng it out the check engine light came on. would the check engine light come on for a burning clutch? Cuz i burned my clutch up a little bit. i am gonna go out in a little and start it again and see if it is still on. if it is it is off to the dealer as soon as i get plowed out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sometimes a little shovel work can same a lot of wheel spin and clutch wear.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
that and some elbow grease.............especially today !!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took it to the dealer today. It got so cold here that the brake light sensor froze. They just put a new one on and i was on my way. The best thing is I pulled two trucks out of the snow today, a dodge dakota and a for F-150. This is quickly becoming the best car I have ever had!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts