My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings...a google search has led me to this forum. I am at the end of my 2018 Jeep Compass lease. I am very much looking forward to getting rid of this unrefined vehicle. In 24 months, I have had the engine replaced due to oil consumption issues (a complete engine replacement at 18,000 miles). The start/stop battery has been replaced, the headliner has had additional attachments added to stop rattles - my car is equipped with the freedom sunroof. Also, the transmission software was flashed two times. The transmission, otherwise known as the ZF 9 speed transmission, has been the biggest problem. Some days, it shifts very smooth. Most days, I experience hard shifts between 2-3. When power is needed to merge on a highway, rarely does the transmission react quickly. When it finally decided to react, it will downshift rough and then take off like a lightening bolt. Every morning, when shifting from reverse to drive, the transmission stumbles and engages into drive. Google ZF 9 speed transmission problems. You will come across a link discussing how the ZF has failed Chrysler, Land Rover and Acura. Unlike a more refined vehicle, the car does not move forward when taking your foot off the brake. Instead, there is a pregnant pause. Another discouraging item is seeing how the front and rear plastics bumper covers do not match the body color. My Compass is red. The plastic has a greenish hue. I have seen this discoloration most notably on white and red Compass vehicles. The white has a yellowish color. Next time you see a white Compass, check out the discoloration.
So, how many Compass drivers driving 2018 models have many of the same issues?

·
852 Posts
I can agree with a couple things. The downshifting is strange as I just mentioned in another post. I think Jeep was trying to use the tranny to compensate for a modest power plant. The Compass is a pretty big hunk for less than 200hp to lug around, so if the driver demands speed its going to drop down a lot of gears to provide the power requested. I also notice that it is sluggish when moving from Park to Drive. Probably a 2 second delay before the tranny if fully engaged.

As for the pause when taking your foot of the brake, isn't that the auto stop/start "feature?" The engine quits if you're stopped in Drive and restarts when you lift your foot off the brake. I put quote around "feature" because I don't regard it as such. It is a particular nuisance when parking in my driveway -- I'm on a slight downgrade and when I bring my vehicle to a stop I've depressed the brake pedal pretty hard, so the engine quits before I can move the shift lever to Park, only to restart when its back in Park, and then of course I turn it off anyway. I usually turn off the auto stop/start under most conditions because IMHO that hesitation could be dangerous in traffic -- it sends a false signal to other drivers that I'm yielding when I don't intend to. By the time I'm moving someone else is moving too, and that can create confusion in an intersection -- not a good situation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can agree with a couple things. The downshifting is strange as I just mentioned in another post. I think Jeep was trying to use the tranny to compensate for a modest power plant. The Compass is a pretty big hunk for less than 200hp to lug around, so if the driver demands speed its going to drop down a lot of gears to provide the power requested. I also notice that it is sluggish when moving from Park to Drive. Probably a 2 second delay before the tranny if fully engaged.

As for the pause when taking your foot of the brake, isn't that the auto stop/start "feature?" The engine quits if you're stopped in Drive and restarts when you lift your foot off the brake. I put quote around "feature" because I don't regard it as such. It is a particular nuisance when parking in my driveway -- I'm on a slight downgrade and when I bring my vehicle to a stop I've depressed the brake pedal pretty hard, so the engine quits before I can move the shift lever to Park, only to restart when its back in Park, and then of course I turn it off anyway. I usually turn off the auto stop/start under most conditions because IMHO that hesitation could be dangerous in traffic -- it sends a false signal to other drivers that I'm yielding when I don't intend to. By the time I'm moving someone else is moving too, and that can create confusion in an intersection -- not a good situation.
I should hav indicated I turn the start/stop feature off. I am not a fan of this feature. Regardless, today I drop this car off at the dealer. The lease is up in a week. I am leasing a new Grand Cherokee. The Cherokee with the 6 cylinder engine was on my short list but, this car, like the Compass, is equipped with the 9 speed ZF transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings...a google search has led me to this forum. I am at the end of my 2018 Jeep Compass lease. I am very much looking forward to getting rid of this unrefined vehicle. In 24 months, I have had the engine replaced due to oil consumption issues (a complete engine replacement at 18,000 miles). The start/stop battery has been replaced, the headliner has had additional attachments added to stop rattles - my car is equipped with the freedom sunroof. Also, the transmission software was flashed two times. The transmission, otherwise known as the ZF 9 speed transmission, has been the biggest problem. Some days, it shifts very smooth. Most days, I experience hard shifts between 2-3. When power is needed to merge on a highway, rarely does the transmission react quickly. When it finally decided to react, it will downshift rough and then take off like a lightening bolt. Every morning, when shifting from reverse to drive, the transmission stumbles and engages into drive. Google ZF 9 speed transmission problems. You will come across a link discussing how the ZF has failed Chrysler, Land Rover and Acura. Unlike a more refined vehicle, the car does not move forward when taking your foot off the brake. Instead, there is a pregnant pause. Another discouraging item is seeing how the front and rear plastics bumper covers do not match the body color. My Compass is red. The plastic has a greenish hue. I have seen this discoloration most notably on white and red Compass vehicles. The white has a yellowish color. Next time you see a white Compass, check out the discoloration.
So, how many Compass drivers driving 2018 models have many of the same issues?
We don't really have any of these issues, but I've found that there are always some issues with any car. That said, the Compass is not an expensive vehicle. We have a new Grand Cherokee, and for an MSRP of $47,000 its a beautiful and much more "refined" vehicle that has a ride comparable to the BMW X3 we had as a loner. Sometimes you get what you pay for and buying the lowest end vehicle in a lineup gets you just that. We bought the compass for our daughter and kept the expectations low.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We don't really have any of these issues, but I've found that there are always some issues with any car. That said, the Compass is not an expensive vehicle. We have a new Grand Cherokee, and for an MSRP of $47,000 its a beautiful and much more "refined" vehicle that has a ride comparable to the BMW X3 we had as a loner. Sometimes you get what you pay for and buying the lowest end vehicle in a lineup gets you just that. We bought the compass for our daughter and kept the expectations low.
I ended up getting rid of the Compass and leasing a Grand Cherokee. Driving this vehicle has been a pleasure compared to the Compass. You mentioned you kept your expectations low when purchasing the Compass. I understand this feeling but, I have to wonder how many Compass owners expectations are low. I mean, why did FCA put a Jeep nameplate on a vehicle that is a glorified Fiat 500X? The Jeep nameplate, in my opinion has been compromised. A real American Jeep is a Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Cherokee. The Renegade and Compass are cheap Jeeps plagued with problems. In fact, if you look at the FCA vehicle lineup, the entry level vehicle has become the Compass or Renegade. The Jeep nameplate should not be on an entry level vehicle. By doing so, FCA has weakened the Jeep brand. You don't put a new Jeep on the road with a POS German transmission, an anemic engine rolling on Yokohomo or Kumho tires.

·
852 Posts
@Rockdog, you've made a good point. I think FCA has a rather confused approach to their branding.

Jeeps should be Jeeps. In their present line-up the Wrangler and the Renegade should be Jeeps. The Gladiator is idiocy--it should have been a Wrangler with a bigger cargo area, not a club cab with a box tagged on the back. A Gladiator could accommodate a sanding unit and with a blade on the front could be a very capable driveway plow. Regardless, in my mind it qualifies as a Jeep.

Dodge should be the basic automotive transportation machines. Along with the Journey, the Compass, Cherokee, and mini-vans should be Dodges. The Challenger offers a nice sport alternative, but its still a car. Really, the Compass and Cherokee are cars as well. Dodge ought to be the core brand of FCA-US.

Chrysler should be the luxury brand. Here's where the GC, Charger and 300 fit in.

Ram should be the truck brand. Durango and any pick-up trucks belong here. I'd make an exception for the Gladiator, but what all the manufacturers really need right now is a pick-up truck that's designed for work, not commuting. When a truck is so expensive that you don't dare scratch the paint on, its lost its utility as a truck.

Problem is, dealers want to have something to offer in every category so now we see all the "brands" under one roof essentially marketed as one. The brands should augment each other, not compete with each other.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Rockdog, you've made a good point. I think FCA has a rather confused approach to their branding.

Jeeps should be Jeeps. In their present line-up the Wrangler and the Renegade should be Jeeps. The Gladiator is idiocy--it should have been a Wrangler with a bigger cargo area, not a club cab with a box tagged on the back. A Gladiator could accommodate a sanding unit and with a blade on the front could be a very capable driveway plow. Regardless, in my mind it qualifies as a Jeep.

Dodge should be the basic automotive transportation machines. Along with the Journey, the Compass, Cherokee, and mini-vans should be Dodges. The Challenger offers a nice sport alternative, but its still a car. Really, the Compass and Cherokee are cars as well. Dodge ought to be the core brand of FCA-US.

Chrysler should be the luxury brand. Here's where the GC, Charger and 300 fit in.

Ram should be the truck brand. Durango and any pick-up trucks belong here. I'd make an exception for the Gladiator, but what all the manufacturers really need right now is a pick-up truck that's designed for work, not commuting. When a truck is so expensive that you don't dare scratch the paint on, its lost its utility as a truck.

Problem is, dealers want to have something to offer in every category so now we see all the "brands" under one roof essentially marketed as one. The brands should augment each other, not compete with each other.
Well said....

What I find confusing, considering today's design and engineering technology, the current Grand Cherokee is 12 years old. The Durango is 12 years old. The 'L' bodies are 12 years old. The Journey is ancient. What has FCA done in terms of new vehicles? Let's exam. The Dodge Dart, built off a Fiat platform is dead (the only reason the Dart was brought to market was so Fiat could meet the government CAFE requirements to receive more bailout funds). The Chrysler 200, built off a Fiat platform is dead. The Cherokee has been a success. Under Fiat, the Wrangler is all new but, experiencing a few glitches....the Gladiator is a spin off of the Wrangler. The new Ram truck is a success. The Chrysler Pacifica was launched after Fiat gained control but, was designed and engineered during the ill fated DaimlerChrysler years. The current GC is a Mercedes platform hence the comfortable and well refined ride. The Compass and Renegade are rushed vehicles using an old Fiat platform beaten and stretched. This Fiat platform is also used on the 500, 500X and 500L. All 5 vehicles built using this architecture are trash vehicles. Yes, many will argue the Compass is a nice little car but, with oil consumption problems, Nine Speed transmission issues, a huge assortment of electrical problems, the car is not worthy of a Jeep nameplate. Truthfully, I would not even put a Fiat nameplate on this car. Now, FCA has dropped the Fiat 500 from the American market. All those Fiat Studio dealers will be left vacant. Fiat made an effort to launch Alfa Romeo but, that vehicle lineup is tanking in America. What will 2021 bring after FCA merges with PSA? According to Detroit newspapers, the new company will support four platforms serving 2/3 of the vehicle lineup. Let's hope the new platforms are designed and engineered in Auburn Hills where the real Jeeps and Ram trucks are engineered. But, getting back to my original complaint, Chrysler, under Fiat control has not done much compared to what GM and Ford have accomplished. Running a vehicle 12 years is insane. During the 90s, new vehicle launches were happening at a fast rate. New vehicle, three years later, a mid cycle change, five years later, a brand new design. Think about it, Chrysler designed the new minivans, the NS model in the early 90s (jellybean minivans). Three years later, the RS minivan was launched with Stow and Go. Three years later, the RT minivans were launched. This RT is still being built, since 1998 as the Dodge Caravan. Built alongside the Pacifica in Windsor, Ontario. Even the Neon received a new model within 5 years. Regardless, if anyone reading this is considering a new Compass, do your homework. Same goes for a Renegade (seriously, this car is a complete joke with poor styling). If you want a Jeep nameplate, spend a little more and buy a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. If you decide to get a Cherokee, be sure you get on equipped with the 6 cylinder engine as the nine speed ZF transmission performs much better with the bigger engine.

·
852 Posts
Yeah, part of the plan to merge with FCA was that CC had no new vehicles on deck. So 10 years ago we got some new vehicles.

As for continuity with the PSA merger, they make the usual assurances that there will be no changes . . . except in management, personnel and products.

No doubt we'll have a Peugeot-based Jeep in a year or two. How exciting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The two problems with the compass are oil consumption issues (top up the oil and you will be fine) and transmission selection options (zf 9 speed with the stop start)

I love my compass. Got it new for 17.5k, nothing came near in price. Manual transmission and no stop start. If you want the auto, get the 4x2 6 speed, it works so much better. However leasing incentives the 4x4 due to higher residuals. Most people don't need the 4x4 and if you drive in snow, please just get winter tires instead. The 9 speed is awful but it's one of 3 transmission choices offered. The other two aren't that bad.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Don't forget the electrical issues! Mine never end. They never prevent me from driving anywhere they just irk me day in and day out.

1) Android auto stop working mysteriously (multiple phones tried)
2) Radio freezes (mine has been replaced once but still does the same things)
3) Controls for heated wheel and seats don't always work
4) Temp resets to HI or LO at least a couple times a week on its own
5) Remote start doesn't always work
6) Alarm going off at random (cured that with AlaOBD)
7) Touch screen laggy and unresponsive
etc etc

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget the electrical issues! Mine never end. They never prevent me from driving anywhere they just irk me day in and day out.

1) Android auto stop working mysteriously (multiple phones tried)
2) Radio freezes (mine has been replaced once but still does the same things)
3) Controls for heated wheel and seats don't always work
4) Temp resets to HI or LO at least a couple times a week on its own
5) Remote start doesn't always work
6) Alarm going off at random (cured that with AlaOBD)
etc etc
I had all of the same issues you are experiencing with your Compass. I had a 24 month lease which, in reality, was a 20 month lease because the car spent so much time in the shop. What I found more aggravating than the many mechanical issues is just how nerve racking this car is to drive. I would get home from work after commuting in rush hour traffic and would be whipped from the slow acceleration and downshifts - not fun when a Dodge Ram is barreling down on you as you are accelerating on to a highway. Or, all the rattles, squeaks and wind noise driving your mind crazy. So, to combat the harsh ride, why not listen to some tunes? Yeah, that is not happening because the Uconnect and Apple Car Play do not play well together. Despite all this, you get home and decide to hand wash your Compass. The sun is shining and as you wash the rear fascia, you are disappointed, once again, looking at the color mismatch between the body and fascia. FCA tells me this is within tolerance. Then, you ask yourself, why am I paying a monthly payment for this crappy vehicle. Yet, the lease is ending soon you tell yourself. Later in the evening, your 17 year old son takes the Compass to work. The car stalls when making a left turn. My teen aged son is scared but, was able to guide the car to a parking lot. Oil levels are fine. A fault code was thrown and the dealer says, "This is normal for this engine". Let's see, ride out the lease or drive the car off a cliff? It got to the point I was willing to take a credit hit and stop paying on this car. Thankfully, the car was turned in and I got a real Jeep. Now, I laugh and feel sorry for those new Compass owners driving their shiny new, soon to be filled with problems, disguised Fiat 500s off the lot. By the way, did you hear FCA is no longer selling Fiat vehicles in the U.S.? Perhaps Tony cannot fix all the Fiat vehicles on the road in a timely manner.

·
852 Posts
Mine lags too. Its a computer, right? It should respond instantly. What a distraction! Who ever heard of a slow computer? But we've got one in our Compasses. Just plain weird.

I press a button, nothing happens. Did I actually press it firmly enough to actuate? Oh wait, now its responding.

Back in the olden days we had push-button radios. I'd press a button and <click> I had my station. Now with all this technology I have to press a spot on the screen and wait a few seconds just to get the radio to come up on the screen. Then I choose the band I want and wait another few seconds, then select the station I want and wait yet another couple seconds. All this while hurtling down the highway at a mile-a-minute. 😮

·
Registered
887 Posts
Jasmine said:
It should respond instantly.
Not sure if that was sarcasm but it absolutely should respond instantly. You can buy a junkdroid tablet for $35 bucks from best buy and it performs 10x better than the 8.4 inch Uconnect. The Uconnect doesn't even have to DO anything, and as a programmer thats why it angers me. Its not working hard rendering or transcoding video, it's not trying to play a 3D game, its not crunching huge amounts of data or attempting gobs of telemetry math, it has almost literally nothing to do but wait for our slow fat fingers to press on it, and carry out basic operations just slightly more complicated than those of the average calculator, and YET its somehow still a slow laggy piece of junk. That peeves me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine did that too, there is a Service Bulletin (#24-003-19) for that issue, my dealer did a software update (per the TSB) and that fixed the problem.
I like how, when you press the red arrow to raise the temperature a few degrees, the temperature indicator jumps to the hottest position. The dealer indicated you have to press and slide your finger up and down to the desired temperature. My thinking is each press on the red arrow will raise the slider a degree. I guess holding and sliding your finger on the screen makes for some safe driving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had my 2018 Compass for a year without any of the above mentioned issues. I have the 2 wheel drive 6 speed automatic. My only regret is that I didn't get one with a sunroof.
I had the freedom sunroof on my Compass. FCA did a good job with the sunroof. When it is fully opened, it is really nice. And, it has a real headliner unlike the Renegade which has a mesh cloth. I wish this sunroof was offered on the Grand Cherokee. It is now offered on the Cherokee..

·
852 Posts
I've had my 2018 Compass for a year without any of the above mentioned issues. I have the 2 wheel drive 6 speed automatic. My only regret is that I didn't get one with a sunroof.
A 6-speed a/t. I guess that's an advantage of FWD models. I have AWD and it has the 9-speed. You can read the complaints about that elsewhere on the site. Mine's not as bad as some and my 2019 is better than my 2018 but it still has that gap when downshifting and the lag under heavy acceleration. That lag was a bit irritating yesterday when I was entering the interstate and another driver was courteous and let me in front of him. The lag was embarrasing -- at first it probably looked like I was ignoring his kindness and then I blasted off like a kid cutting into traffic. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A 6-speed a/t. I guess that's an advantage of FWD models. I have AWD and it has the 9-speed. You can read the complaints about that elsewhere on the site. Mine's not as bad as some and my 2019 is better than my 2018 but it still has that gap when downshifting and the lag under heavy acceleration. That lag was a bit irritating yesterday when I was entering the interstate and another driver was courteous and let me in front of him. The lag was embarrasing -- at first it probably looked like I was ignoring his kindness and then I blasted off like a kid cutting into traffic. :(
When I took my car in for service regarding the transmission, I referred to the "Blast off" as a Clark W. Griswald moment. The "Blast Off" as you so eloquently stated, is a bit scary at first. I often wondered if any other Compass drivers experience this quirky ZF transmission behavior.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts