My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is a new Patriot about $1,000 less then a new Compass? Shouldnt they be around the same price? I though the only difference between them was the tire size and the external body.

Is it because women are willing to pay more for an item then men and who the demographics the Compass is aimed at?

What are your thoughts.. :?

·
Registered
656 Posts
NoNamesLeft said:
Why is a new Patriot about $1,000 less then a new Compass? Shouldnt they be around the same price? I though the only difference between them was the tire size and the external body.

Is it because women are willing to pay more for an item then men and who the demographics the Compass is aimed at?

Albeit Compass sales slightly favour the ladies, but from what I see on the Patroit Forums sites is that there are plenty of lady 'Riot drivers as well.
A thousand bucks is a huge diff for essentially the same mechanics. :? 'Riots already are out selling our 'Passes, I worry that if economics forces narrowing the Jeep line again, is that the bigger seller will prevail :x

·
Registered
360 Posts
i2canoe said:
NoNamesLeft said:

Albeit Compass sales slightly favour the ladies, but from what I see on the Patroit Forums sites is that there are plenty of lady 'Riot drivers as well.
A thousand bucks is a huge diff for essentially the same mechanics. :? 'Riots already are out selling our 'Passes, I worry that if economics forces narrowing the Jeep line again, is that the bigger seller will prevail :x
Compass has sold more Overall and more This year:

http://www.rrstar.com/business/x1429061040

"So far this year, workers have built 119,986 Calibers and dealers have sold 94,488 or 78.8 percent.
The Compass, easily the least liked by analysts, is even holding its own with dealers selling 38,764 of the 51,562 that have been built this year — 75.2 percent.
Dealers have only moved 24,496 of the 66,899 Patriots built in 2007. That’s just 36.6 percent."

That's interesting since the media generally trashed the Compass and generally gave good reviews to the Patriot. The Caliber was somewhere in between in media treatment.

However the Compass came out first and the Patriot has been selling more in the last few months.

:!:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neely, I believe you are referencing my original post on the stats :) Anyways I know that the compass has sold more units but why the $1000 price tag difference? it makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Neely2005 said:
"The Compass, easily the least liked by analysts, is even holding its own with dealers selling 38,764 of the 51,562 that have been built this year — 75.2 percent.
Dealers have only moved 24,496 of the 66,899 Patriots built in 2007. That’s just 36.6 percent."

That's interesting since the media generally trashed the Compass and generally gave good reviews to the Patriot. The Caliber was somewhere in between in media treatment.

Wow - with only 36.6% sell through and all the hype that this was more of a "real" Jeep than our 'Passes somebody's but must be on the line to make it happen for the 'Riots. :roll:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Down here the Pat base price has always been between a thousand and 15 hundred less than the Compass since the Pats intro. I suspect it is mostly just marketing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
they stated originally the level of options and features is less on a base patriot than a base compass..

as discussed here months ago, I think it is a BAD move on chrysler's part - idiotic move to be honest.

1 thing is wheels, the patriot has cheap base wheels, they look like crap, and the uplevel ones are 17 inchers.

the compass has 17s on the base, and 18s on the limited. this doesn't account for all of it but indeed some of it.

edit - on a quick pricing of a similarly loaded compass and patriot in canada the price difference is 500, which I could say is largely covered by the wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was doing a bit of research and it appears that the Patriot's rear breaks are drum while the compass' are disc. This, the wheels and additional cup holds see to be the only differences. Do you guys think the rear disc breaks and the alloy wheels are worth $1,000?

·
Registered
208 Posts
from jeep's website..

2008 patriot limited 4x4 base price = 22,505
2008 compass limited 4x4 base price = 22,815

so look deeper into the differences in optioning on the cheaper ones. Power windows versus crank up maybe? Who knows.

By the trime you get to equally equipped limiteds you're in a virtual dead heat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: patriot brakes

NoNamesLeft said:
jeepkeep said:
The patriot has four wheel disc brakes as far as I know.
On the 4x2 models, the rear brakes are drum on the patriots.
I just checked Jeep.com and the base 4X2 Patriot has 4 wheel disc brakes. This applies to both 2007 and 2008 models.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I stopped at the local Jeep dealer this afternoon ... they have a 4X2 Patriot on the lot, Sport model with very few options. I looked at the rear brakes - they were DISC brakes.

I double checked the Jeep website, and it lists 4 wheel disc brakes as standard equipment on ALL Patriot models.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think that the 2007 Patriots had Standard Disc Brakes on ALL models. But I think that on the 2008 Patriots the Sport Models have Rear Drum Brakes - that's what the people on the Patriot Forum are saying.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I double-checked the Jeep website ... and I'm not sure how I missed it the first time but here's what the website has to say.

BOTH the base 4x2 Patriot and Compass have front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.

When one upgrades to a 4x4 model (doens't matter if it's a Sport or a Limited), standard equipment become four wheel disc brakes.

That's an interesting change, isn't it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
kwc said:
I double-checked the Jeep website ... and I'm not sure how I missed it the first time but here's what the website has to say.

BOTH the base 4x2 Patriot and Compass have front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.

When one upgrades to a 4x4 model (doens't matter if it's a Sport or a Limited), standard equipment become four wheel disc brakes.

That's an interesting change, isn't it?
Can you say cost cutting? Although my mechanic says that Drum Brakes are better in places that get snow as they're well sealed and last longer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think this changed just happened. Mine is an 08 sport 4x2 but i have rear disc brakes. This change leaves me kind of baffled. So its for both compass and patriot? Strange....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts