My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did a little research on Jeep's website (Very informative by the way, I recommend it to anyone wanting to know anything extra about towing, their drive train or the 4x4 system) and found that there is 2 things that make the Patriot trail rated (when properly configured) and not the compass.
A: Freedom Drive 1 Vs. Freedom Drive 2
The main difference: The FD2 has one single (but powerful) extra. It can be shifted into "lo" offering a 16:1 gear reduction, which is a big help when crawling over obstacles as well as smoothly navigating extremely rough terrain.
B: Skid plates. No Joke, skid plates protect your drive train and gas tank. And guess what, there's good news. You can buy skid plates for the Compass.

Of course, this leads one problem. I dont really know all of the specifics, but my money says that seeing as how they use the same power plant, if you knew enough about it, you could probably swap your FD 1 CVT for a FD2 CVT. You'd also have to find a new differential for the read end of the car too, and again, the Compass driveshaft is most likely identical to the one used in the Patriot, so it should be easily accomplished (again, with the correct know-how.)

Downside: You lose your slapstick (auto stick) ability.
Upside: Find yourself a trail rated badge because bam! you've got one of the few trail rated compasses ever built.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My wish for the compass is a 3.7L like the liberty. That would make it interesting......

·
Registered
656 Posts
My wish for the compass is a 3.7L like the liberty. That would make it interesting......
I'm afraid the day of the big engine has past.
I think we will be seeing more performance to come from the smaller engines, like the 2.0L, as well as look forward to other more fuel effective innovations.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just find the engine a little lacking at times. It would be nice to have a 6cyl option. Some valleys with a trailer make the little engine work hard.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I hear you, a trailer is a big consideration.
I am glad the four can pull it almost well enough for you.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I love it for everything else, it's got a way better turning radius than my girl's pursuit. For a professional it does everything around town and (usually) out of town I could ask.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think it would be really unique if someone redid the bejesus out of a compass. I mean cmon, what would you do if you heard a Compass with a V6, jacked up, and some serious transmission and differential hardware and made a true off-road destroyer?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've thought of it but mine isn't even a year old yet so it might be a little premature to be toying with it in a big way...... at least until warranty is done. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thoughts exactly. Warranties are such a life saver, its a little early to just completely void it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts