My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

I have a 2019 Latitude. Basically when the engine shuts off at a red light, it won't restart again when I take my foot off the brake. Also, if I drive somewhere and turn the car off, and on again a few minutes later, the engine won't start and I get a little red lighting bolt icon in the top left of the instrument panel. I have to turn car off and then on again a bunch of times to get the engine to finally kick in.

I just had it in for service, they replaced the start/stop battery and also thought it might be something with the oil pressure sensor so they replaced that, but it's still happening. I have to bring it back on Monday, but wondering if any of you had this issue and have any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
189 Posts
It more than likely the electronic throttle control. These Jeeps don't have a cable that connects the gas pedal to the throttle but controls the throttle through the computer.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
No where near enough information to even begin guessing, but if its not cranking then probably nothing to do with the ETC. A about four-and-a-half-thousand (slight exaggeration) computer checks have to clear in order for an engine start to proceed, meaning practically anything buggy with your network of computers that control the car could be at fault, and then there are a dozen simple physical components that could fail like fuses, relays, the brake switch itself, etc. Computers and relays can fail intermittently and be hard to track down.

Honestly you are going to need the dealer to troubleshoot a problem like that most likely. There could be something simple-ish but for as complex as these modern machines are if you have to come here and ask a broad open-ended question for ideas then there is likely no chance of you finding the source of the problem on your own (just being honest). You'd need a pretty good code reader that can access a little better than the generic OBDII universal data (probably one with logging software/app), and a multimeter, just to get started.

Random people on the internet throwing out vague ideas for you to regurgitate to your service tech at the dealership to sound smarter when you talk to them won't help it get fixed any faster either. Just let the dealership take care of it under warranty. They are probably going to find something stupid and not tell you what was really wrong when you get it back either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2018 Limited failed at highway speed Sunday (11/29). In fairly rapid succession, all of the possible error codes registered and lit the panel; power steering became intermittent. Engine was still running and was able to pull off to the shoulder. Afterwards, It wouldn't restart.

Having been through the Start/Stop issues, I thought maybe disconnecting both batteries and reconnecting would resolve it. Nope. Panel would light up but no starter action.

It was towed to the nearest dealer. They finally called to say the batteries had low charge but they charged and tested fine. I told them they needed to look deeper into the charge circuit or computer for this one. Just can't accept a low battery as the cause; one or both of the batteries were already replaced due to Start/Stop issues earlier this year. Something else is going on.

One thing to note, the Start/Stop error occurred within 5 miles of starting a 100 mile drive. Since I didn't stop for the next 90 miles or so, I can imagine the Start/Stop error prevented the battery from charging. Hindsight says I should have pulled off right away and restarted to reset the Start/Stop system. Lesson Learned?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my 3rd service scheduled for tomorrow. First they thought it was the start/stop battery and replaced that, but didn't fix it. Then they thought it was some kind of oil pressure sensor, replaced that, didn't fix it. Now they are supposedly going to check all of the wiring for faults.

It's just weird to me, how it runs perfectly fine when the engine is cold, but once it's all warmed up, if you stop the engine it doesn't want to start again. I've gotten stuck at red lights when the auto start/stop stopped the engine, stuck in parking lots after running into a store for a few minutes, and just if I turn off my car when I get home, if I try to start the engine again it won't work. Hopefully they can figure it out this time. Glad it's all still under warranty :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's really worrisome for relatively new owner (the wife; May 15, 2020) of a Jeep Compass to read here another thread and posting telling serious drivability failures related to engine stop, starting or not starting at all. Please, Necros and mpgoonenuts, keep us updated on any fixes occurring.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do! This is the first time I've ever had any issues with a Jeep, and I blame it all on the auto start/stop feature that no one seems to want. I had a Renegade before this, and a Wrangler before that. Both were flawless. I still love my compass though, luckily I haven't had any catastrophic issues, this is more an annoyance for me, but I definitely want it fixed and want to make sure it won't lead to further issues later on if I don't fix it. I've been working at home with Covid so it hasn't impacted me much, but it would be a nightmare if I had to drive to work every day.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it turned out to be a bad starter. They replaced that and it seems to be working like normal again, fingers crossed there won't be any more issues :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2018 Limited failed at highway speed Sunday (11/29). In fairly rapid succession, all of the possible error codes registered and lit the panel; power steering became intermittent. Engine was still running and was able to pull off to the shoulder. Afterwards, It wouldn't restart.

Having been through the Start/Stop issues, I thought maybe disconnecting both batteries and reconnecting would resolve it. Nope. Panel would light up but no starter action.

It was towed to the nearest dealer. They finally called to say the batteries had low charge but they charged and tested fine. I told them they needed to look deeper into the charge circuit or computer for this one. Just can't accept a low battery as the cause; one or both of the batteries were already replaced due to Start/Stop issues earlier this year. Something else is going on.

One thing to note, the Start/Stop error occurred within 5 miles of starting a 100 mile drive. Since I didn't stop for the next 90 miles or so, I can imagine the Start/Stop error prevented the battery from charging. Hindsight says I should have pulled off right away and restarted to reset the Start/Stop system. Lesson Learned?
Update (10Dec2020): Dealer didn't provide more information; they only charged and tested both batteries. So I'm sure the battery will discharge if left with the ESS Error light for a number of miles. I'm attaching the photo of the dash just before I pulled over; think another thread has something similar. It has been running okay; though lately the start/stop seems to be getting sluggish on restart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts