My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a difficult time getting consistent info about when to change oil in my 2015 Compass.. 3900 miles. Frustrating!
I am leaving out the cost of the oil change as a factor. Just trying to figure out what is best for car.
Here are some paraphrased answers from dealer service people.
1) “Change 1 time per year since your mileage is so low.. Oil needs to get a little dirty to run right. If not a little dirty, could harm the engine”.
2) “Time is as important as mileage… change every 4 months no matter how low mileage is”
3) On a previous Jeep, service mgr said “You can't change oil too often” Changes oil in his Ram pickup about every other month, even though his mileage is low.
4) 3 times per year… 3 months… 4 months etc.

Makes my head spin!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a difficult time getting consistent info about when to change oil in my 2015 Compass.. 3900 miles. Frustrating!
I am leaving out the cost of the oil change as a factor. Just trying to figure out what is best for car.
Here are some paraphrased answers from dealer service people.
1) “Change 1 time per year since your mileage is so low.. Oil needs to get a little dirty to run right. If not a little dirty, could harm the engine”.
2) “Time is as important as mileage… change every 4 months no matter how low mileage is”
3) On a previous Jeep, service mgr said “You can't change oil too often” Changes oil in his Ram pickup about every other month, even though his mileage is low.
4) 3 times per year… 3 months… 4 months etc.

Makes my head spin!
I personally change my oil at 5k mile intervals. It's personal preference though. The above statements are :confused:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well its somewhat individual preference. IMO you should not go beyond the severe service recommendation as few of us don't fall into that slot. I change mine in DEC for the Winter and again in the early spring even if I don't have the miles (4-5k Kilometers). Through the summer as required. The typically non millage recommendation is every 6 months max if you don't have the distance on it.

Its cheap insurance. the onboard indicator is suppose to calculate based on many factors when to change it. If early do it if its still no come on and you're past 5000km I'd shedule a change soon and before 6000k. Winter is by far the hardest on the engine and oil and you want fresh in the engine for it and get it out after the winter ends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Conventional Oil these days is stout enough for changes to happen about every 5000 miles. Worked on my Compass now for 4 years...no problems.

Just stick with a major brand name (Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil 1, etc.)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Conventional Oil these days is stout enough for changes to happen about every 5000 miles. Worked on my Compass now for 4 years...no problems.

Just stick with a major brand name (Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil 1, etc.)
Right on and change interval is the same pretty much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts