My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Personally I always factor in the tires when buying a vehicle, used or new. And usually I want different rims and tires anyways. The problem here is that they are name brand tires and unless you research them you don't know how bad they are, so it is deceptive.

Still weirdly warm weather here, but we had rain yesterday. With the GO15's at 32/32 psi I was still sliding on pavement. It's a very controllable slide, ie they don't suddenly break loose or anything. Again, it feels like driving on snow. That was at 60F. I was also out back in the mud and leaves, up and down muddy and steep hills and along a forest trail with some rock. They seemed perfectly fine in those conditions, I even deliberately tried stopping half way up on climbs and restarting and really had no problems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Minor update. I got a set of plastic centering rings from Summit. I took the G015's off for most of the winter due to the sliding issue. Put them back on recently - they seemed mostly ok in light snow, not great grip but acceptable. Definitely a difference between straight line starting and stopping, in which case they are ok, and cornering, where they have quite weak grip. Best grip seems to be when at 28/25 psi front/rear.
My winter tires - the General Altimax Arctics - were awesome throughout the winter.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry I did not see your post until now. I have stock steel Patriot 16" rims for my winter tires.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
update. I put the Geolandars back on early this past spring, and then we had some late season snow and ice. I was happy with their performance - they chewed through deep snow and performed well on wet ice. This fall I also noted that the sideways sliding issue on wet roads in cool temps went away. They began developing normal cornering grip (normal for ATs) for some reason, I would say it is something to do with wearing in the tread? wear is very minor but I can't think of any other reason.
I left them on this fall hoping they would be okay. The first snowfall, which was actually a small layer of ice with ice pellets and snow, the tires drove and cornered well. But the first stop sign I came to (at higher elevation) I just sailed right through, luckily I was alone on the road. The ABS was hammering away but the vehicle didn't seem to slow down at all, I actually looked in the rearview wondering if somehow I was being pushed or something. I went home, swapped back to the General Arctics and went right back out in the same conditions about 45 minutes later. The Generals slid a bit too when stopping, but they generated stopping force and would actually stop the vehicle.
All in all, considering the times I have slid off the road or into the oncoming lane in cold and wet conditions, plus sliding through this stop sign, I have to say these tires are inconsistent and dangerous in these conditions. I like these tires otherwise, and I suspect they would work better on a heavier vehicle, but I think I'm going to have to replace them with something else in the spring.

·
844 Posts
I just got a set of General Altimax Artics, and for the first time in my life I got them studded. I've had them in several snowstorms already, one particularly nasty one, and these tires are excellent. Also had my Wife's Patriot out in the snow this week with unstudded Altimax Artics and they handled fine on hilly, winding rural roads.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just to update, the Geolandars have been fine this spring. We had lots of cold/wet conditions and they worked well. So at this point I'm thinking they will be ok as three season tires.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Hi,

The G015s unfortunately just never cut it in winter conditions despite being winter rated. I was swapping over to my General Altimax Arctics each winter, and I was very happy with their winter performance, but there were a couple of things that bugged me about this. One was that the they were a slightly different overall diameter, close, but different enough that I wasn't comfortable with the idea of using them as a spare. Two, I really didn't like giving up AT tires over the winter.
Meanwhile the newer version of the Cooper AT3, the AT3 4S, has been showing good winter performance in testing. Canadian Tire rated it at 100% in snow and ice, for one. They came up on sale recently so I got a set. They are 235/75 r15 105T but P-metric, not LTs. Compared to the G015's which are LTs, these have a more rounded sidewall profile. They are quieter and smoother riding than the G015s but the difference is not huge - the G015s are quite good in those respects, and they are LTs after all.
We had lots of snow and ice so I was able to directly compare performance, and I would say yes the AT3 4S does have a quite noticeable advantage in winter conditions. The G015s are good but these are better.
For me the big advantage is that I could never quite trust the G015's once the weather turns cold. Any wet road + low temps, even above freezing, I never knew when they might slide unexpectedly so it was a bit stressful. I would worry about letting anyone else drive it in those conditions. The AT3s never give me any concerns.

https://imgur.com/yTqGYcy

21 - 28 of 28 Posts