My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching, I promise...I took my 2018 Latitude with 36k to the dealer today for rough starting issues. They advised me they started a consumption test and I need to go back in 1500 mi. They also told me it can shut off while driving, and I know that but what exactly happens? And if it does happen, how would I get it to be driveable again - or is that even an option. Now I'm all nervous to drive anywhere!!
The dealer did tell me if it's significant loss, they'll put a borescope in the engine and if there are signs of wear/damage they'll put in a new engine.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Check your oil level weekly and keep track of when and how much you put in. What happens is if the oil level drops to low, the engine doesn't get enough oil to lubricate properly and the pressure drops. when the pressure drops, not the level, below a certain point the engine shuts down to protect it self. If this happens, check the dipstick and if there is no oil showing or is very low, you can add oil to the full mark and try to restart the engine. There should then be enough oil for the pump to build up pressure and it will run.

·
Administrator
2,055 Posts
I tried searching, I promise...I took my 2018 Latitude with 36k to the dealer today for rough starting issues. They advised me they started a consumption test and I need to go back in 1500 mi. They also told me it can shut off while driving, and I know that but what exactly happens? And if it does happen, how would I get it to be driveable again - or is that even an option. Now I'm all nervous to drive anywhere!!
The dealer did tell me if it's significant loss, they'll put a borescope in the engine and if there are signs of wear/damage they'll put in a new engine.
Thanks guys!
It sounds like they are treating you right. It's nice to hear about a dealer that's fair & honest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently been having a problem with my 2017 Jeep Compass. I will be driving and the engine will just shut off then I have to wait about 1 min to turn the car completely off to try and start it again and when it starts it sounds like the starter is having issues turning over. I searched the internet and it looks like a lot of people have this issue but never found an answer on how to fix can anyone help me?

·
Administrator
2,055 Posts
I have recently been having a problem with my 2017 Jeep Compass. I will be driving and the engine will just shut off then I have to wait about 1 min to turn the car completely off to try and start it again and when it starts it sounds like the starter is having issues turning over. I searched the internet and it looks like a lot of people have this issue but never found an answer on how to fix can anyone help me?
Welcome to the site!

The first thing I'd check is the oil level. If it's low your Compass will shut down without warning. The part about the starter struggling would make me worry that your engine has been damaged from poor lubrication.

If you've looked around this site you will discover that some Compasses consume phenomenal amounts of oil. In 30,000 miles my 2018 Compass lost* more oil than all other vehicles I've owned combined since I started driving in 1970. Well, maybe one exception -- I had a 1981 Cutlass that used a lot. It was transferred to me as a company car from another rep and I doubt its oil had been changed before I got it so the damage was already done. That car used about as much oil as my new Compass.

* Lost = adding oil between changes because of leaks or getting by the rings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any luck figuring it out

·
Administrator
2,055 Posts
any luck figuring it out
Yes. Jeep came out with a software update that changed the valve timing so oil isn't being sucked into places it shouldn't go. The update is done at no charge by an authorized dealer. Since the update the oil consumption threads have gone dead on this site, so it must be working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts