·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Thought I would share.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not really the best choices to go off road in stock form, but the video was interesting to watch and I didn't expect to see the Renegade perform all that great.

·
Registered
927 Posts
wheelin said:
Not really the best choices to go off road in stock form
How do you mean? How are the trail-rated versions not the best choices? Are you saying it would have better for them to pit a couple latitudes against each other going up the hill? :dunno:

I was surprised to see both of them have the traction control give up so easily trying to hoist themselves uphill. Why would it cut power completely like that with the vehicle only containing one person, no trailer/extra weight, in the lowest most powerful gear? :think: Methinks Jeep did that to keep idiots from getting themselves into too much trouble, thats the only explanation I can think of. Clearly, if they would have first disabled traction control they both would have scratched and scrambled and powered their way up first try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TFL's a great channel, this is exactly the sort of video I've hoped they'd do. Nice to see more evidence that the Compass is indeed pretty capable. It does hurt the Compass slightly by being a little longer and heavier than the Renegade, but mainly it just goes to show that if you're actually going to go off-road, the stock tires just do not cut it--even the Trailhawk Falkens. You need dedicated AT's.

They also wondered why the Compass gets 1 more MPG; I'm sure the Renny's boxiness is a contributing factor, but mainly I think it's due to the Compass' ESS feature.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why would it cut power completely like that with the vehicle only containing one person, no trailer/extra weight, in the lowest most powerful gear?
One of the YT commenters (Patrick Rich) replying to why it cuts power to all 4 wheels: "they don't and it doesn't. it just doesn't have enough wheel torque at those engine speeds to be able to brake 2 wheels in the air and have enough left over to turn 2 wheels on the ground on a steep hill. The wheels on the ground are getting the full might that the engine has to offer but at those speeds its insufficient."

Sad. TFL is saying TCS cannot be completely disabled but other commenters are disagreeing, saying you have to hold the button down for 5-7 seconds. But it sounds like the issue here isn't necessarily TCS...

·
Registered
927 Posts
The owners manual describes essentially two tiers of disabling electronic assistance features (traction/stability/etc). I don't have the book in front of me right now but for sure there are two levels I read about, the lighter being a momentary press on the button and the latter being a 5-second hold on the button. The more extreme, 5-second option disables if you go above a certain speed (I want to say 14 mph) and then reverts when you drop back to slow speeds.

I wish they would have tried it with the 5-second off setting because although its true it won't 100% disable everything it disables a lot and I suspect it would allow the engine to rev up to the point where it would have enough power to go. Makes sense that some system was cutting the engine RPMs but I don't think it would do that if the TCS was at its most disabled state.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The owners manual describes essentially two tiers of disabling electronic assistance features (traction/stability/etc). I don't have the book in front of me right now but for sure there are two levels I read about, the lighter being a momentary press on the button and the latter being a 5-second hold on the button. The more extreme, 5-second option disables if you go above a certain speed (I want to say 14 mph) and then reverts when you drop back to slow speeds.

I wish they would have tried it with the 5-second off setting because although its true it won't 100% disable everything it disables a lot and I suspect it would allow the engine to rev up to the point where it would have enough power to go. Makes sense that some system was cutting the engine RPMs but I don't think it would do that if the TCS was at its most disabled state.
Which button are you referring to? And is there anyway to permanently disable the auto start/stop feature?

In regards to the video, did you anyone notice what mode the TFL driver in the Compass was using? Was it the 4WD Low/Rock mode? It wasn't really clear.

·
Registered
927 Posts
surjerrylee said:
Which button are you referring to? And is there anyway to permanently disable the auto start/stop feature?

In regards to the video, did you anyone notice what mode the TFL driver in the Compass was using? Was it the 4WD Low/Rock mode? It wasn't really clear.
I was referring to the traction control button on the bottom/rearward right of the shift console. You press it once momentarily to turn TCM partial off, hold for 5 seconds while stopped to (almost) completely disable traction control.

There is no way to disable the auto start/stop feature. Its only a matter of time until someone makes an aftermarket gizmo to disable it for us because it is a much disliked feature that makes me look like an idiot at stop signs and intersections.

The driver in the TFL video had it in low/rock mode, 4WD lock.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was referring to the traction control button on the bottom/rearward right of the shift console. You press it once momentarily to turn TCM partial off, hold for 5 seconds while stopped to (almost) completely disable traction control.

There is no way to disable the auto start/stop feature. Its only a matter of time until someone makes an aftermarket gizmo to disable it for us because it is a much disliked feature that makes me look like an idiot at stop signs and intersections.

The driver in the TFL video had it in low/rock mode, 4WD lock.
Me no have Auto Start/Stop :). I did in my 3.2L Trailhawk and always turned it off. The girlfriend's new '18 Cherokee Latitude with the 2.4L does not have ESS.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
One of the YT commenters (Patrick Rich) replying to why it cuts power to all 4 wheels: "they don't and it doesn't. it just doesn't have enough wheel torque at those engine speeds to be able to brake 2 wheels in the air and have enough left over to turn 2 wheels on the ground on a steep hill. The wheels on the ground are getting the full might that the engine has to offer but at those speeds its insufficient."

Sad. TFL is saying TCS cannot be completely disabled but other commenters are disagreeing, saying you have to hold the button down for 5-7 seconds. But it sounds like the issue here isn't necessarily TCS...
I"ve been saying this for years, no low range and the brake lock differentials eat all the power up from the little engine, the previous FDII models which are basically identical to the new trailhawks have the same problem.

I just went wheeling with a Renegade Trailhawk and any type of steep incline with any type of articulation and he was stuck not going anywhere.

If you want to completely disable traction control pull the ABS fuse, however in that state you will miss having the brake lock differentials since they do work very well they just have their limit of effectiveness

1 - 10 of 10 Posts