My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forums and posting so forgive me. I have 2018 compass and have started noticing a creaking noise in steering wheel mostly at slower speeds. Now first let me say I'm not a fan of the vehicle at all but needed better mpg than a grand cherokee and think jeep totally missed mark on this vehicle. And this should be recalled for transmission issues, banging into gears 4/5 &5/6 which dealer says is normal its learning driving ways vehicle has 70k it's not learning anything. Also 9 speed transmission is the BIGGEST joke ever you cannot get the vehicle to even go into that gear EVER.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah many Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler cars have creaking steering wheel issues, some plastic rubbing somewhere. I don't think dealerships ever really do anything about it, no advice to give there.

Also yes, the Compass is no MPG champion. Its dog slow (be quiet @Jasmine, it IS dog slow!) and it gets no better fuel economy for its slowness than a V6 Cherokee. I should know we have one of each in our household and its pretty aggravating that our V6 Cherokee can blast around way quicker than our Compass but they net pretty much the same economy tank to tank.

No experience with a grand cherokee but wouldn't surprise me if a 3.6 GC matched or beat a Compass in day to day real world fuel economy too. The 2.4 liter simply works far too hard to accomplish its task while the V6 Cherokee motor has an easy life rarely needing to use all of its potential to do the same job of moving the car from place to place.

Compass styling is pretty good though, so there is that at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone told me it could be u-joints in steering column because it's a spot no one even dealers ever lube. I agree had V6 Cherokee 2015 should not have gotten rid of it. Was easily near 28-30 mpg. I think @jeep should recall all 2017 and 2018 compasses or at least acknowledge to owners they put out a really poor quality fiat and badged it as a jeep and called it a compass.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Someone told me it could be u-joints in steering column because it's a spot no one even dealers ever lube. I agree had V6 Cherokee 2015 should not have gotten rid of it. Was easily near 28-30 mpg. I think @jeep should recall all 2017 and 2018 compasses or at least acknowledge to owners they put out a really poor quality fiat and badged it as a jeep and called it a compass.
Caveat Emptor. I don't know what others are getting for MPG but on a long stretch on the highway I can get 34MPG and I've gotten as high as 39MPG on a 50 mile trek on road as level as we can find in NH. As for recalling it because it's based on a Fiat, don't get your hopes up. That was no secret. I've had two Compasses and while one is better than the other, neither was bad. I've stated elsewhere that the Jeep brand should be Wranglers only. Everything else should be Dodge or Chrysler.

Also yes, the Compass is no MPG champion. Its dog slow (be quiet @Jasmine, it IS dog slow!) and it gets no better fuel economy for its slowness than a V6 Cherokee.
Sh-h-h, it's me, Jasmine. I'll keep this as quiet as I can. Agreed my Compass is not as fast as my Grand Prix, but it is considerably faster than my old Ford Falcon. The Falcon and Compass have identical CID, the Compass gets slightly better fuel economy, and has more than double the power (84HP v 184HP) and more torque with two fewer cylinders (134 lb-ft v 179 lb-ft). Isn't technology wonderful?

·
Super Moderator
196 Posts
Yeah but you drive about 64 MPH on the freeway getting passed by about 400 cars an hour, do you not? 🤣
Maybe in southern New Hampshire, but in northern New Hampshire you could be stopped on the side of the road for half a day and not get passed by 400 cars. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Yeah but you drive about 64 MPH on the freeway getting passed by about 400 cars an hour, do you not? 🤣
Even though the speed limit is 70MPH I'm usually closer to 65, so for the sake of argument, okay, 64. Going through Franconia Notch (a notch is what western folks call a pass) the interstate is only 1 lane each direction and the speed limit drops to 45. Don't tell the cops but I'm probably still closer to the aforementioned speed.

400 cars maybe, but going the other way. Probably not more than a few dozen going the same direction, and even then I doubt 400. Maybe 100.
Maybe in southern New Hampshire, but in northern New Hampshire you could be stopped on the side of the road for half a day and not get passed by 400 cars. :)
True, but there's a good chance one of those passing may stop to lend a hand. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
And this should be recalled for transmission issues, banging into gears 4/5 &5/6 which dealer says is normal its learning driving ways vehicle has 70k it's not learning anything. Also 9 speed transmission is the BIGGEST joke ever you cannot get the vehicle to even go into that gear EVER.
Banging into gears 4/5 & 5/6 is not normal. If they argue, grab a new one off the lot and have the mechanic ride along for a short ride in both vehicles.

Agreed, 9th is only there to satisfy an equation to boost their CAFE rating. @arudlang may have a hard time believing this, but when I get up over 70MPH (yes, it happens) on a nice downgrade I'll autostick it into 9th, just to give it some use. The Compass can maintain it's speed on level ground but in this area usually we're going up or down, pretty rare to get a level stretch that approaches a mile -- maybe it happens down in the seacoast region.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Banging into gears 4/5 & 5/6 is not normal. If they argue, grab a new one off the lot and have the mechanic ride along for a short ride in both vehicles.

Agreed, 9th is only there to satisfy an equation to boost their CAFE rating. @arudlang may have a hard time believing this, but when I get up over 70MPH (yes, it happens) on a nice downgrade I'll autostick it into 9th, just to give it some use. The Compass can maintain it's speed on level ground but in this area usually we're going up or down, pretty rare to get a level stretch that approaches a mile -- maybe it happens down in the seacoast region.
I had to go 82 down hill between Vermont and New Hampshire to get it into 9th gear with auto stick. What is sense of having auto stick if it doesn't allow you to shift into all gears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even though the speed limit is 70MPH I'm usually closer to 65, so for the sake of argument, okay, 64. Going through Franconia Notch (a notch is what western folks call a pass) the interstate is only 1 lane each direction and the speed limit drops to 45. Don't tell the cops but I'm probably still closer to the aforementioned speed.

400 cars maybe, but going the other way. Probably not more than a few dozen going the same direction, and even then I doubt 400. Maybe 100.

True, but there's a good chance one of those passing may stop to lend a hand. :)
Jasmine been through the notch many many times! Grew up in Maine, lived in North Conway in early 90s and now in upstate NY and before covid-19 was frequently traveling from here to Maine. Compass does not like the up or down section before Gorham NH.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Jasmine been through the notch many many times! Grew up in Maine, lived in North Conway in early 90s and now in upstate NY and before covid-19 was frequently traveling from here to Maine. Compass does not like the up or down section before Gorham NH.
I can get into 9th using autostick if I'm doing over 60MPH and on the level, but a downgrade is better. I test-drove a Renegade and couldn't get it into 9th even under those conditions, that's why I chose the Compass. However, my Compass will never find 9th on its own, even at 80 -- can't say I've been much faster than that in my Compass.

My Compass does OK climbing those hills on Rt. 2 between Jefferson and Gorham, but it's probably down in 5 or 4 to do it. Caught in an unpredicted snowstorm on the first hill going east out of Jefferson was where I decided the OEM tires were no good for winter driving. :(

Going north through Franconia my Patriot 2.0 5-spd has to resort to 3rd, so I'm probably only doing the speed limit regardless of my evil intentions.

Like you, I'm well familiar with the Conway area. My GF (now Wife) worked just over in Maine when we were dating in the 1970s. Hurricane Mtn. Road was an adventure in those days!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
All of my steep driving experience has been in the rockies, and honestly I've found for most major mountain passes autosticking from 4th to 6th gears is typically all thats needed, with probably a majority of the time being in 5th. I don't end up down in 3rd unless there is a major slowdown in traffic, and I don't bother going higher than 6th downhill because there is really no point and typically I'm wanting the engine braking anyways.

I don't let these 9 speeds even try to shift themselves in mountainous terrain, not even with the V6 Cherokee. My Aunt blew her 2.4 Cherokee up after a couple years of letting it shift itself out where they live in the Appalachians / Virginia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts