My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the forums thoughts of the center exit exhaust like on the srt8, and my next question can anyone picture something similar to this on a Compass? im not sure if i like the look of the magnaflow cat back kit for the compass so i thought id toy around with something custom, then as a fail safe i could always just buy the magnaflow kit if my creation wasnt as i imagined it.

we've been throwing this idea around at work for the past few days, we've worked out the kinks and i think it would look really cool! im leaning towards a universal magnaflow muffler and keeping the stock pipe, but we have to modify one section of the factory pipe to bring it to center.

also there is a section of the rear bumper i would be removing, but saving so i can reinstall if needed.

the end result i want the muffler close to the heatsheild, i dont want it hanging down low so the whole muffler is seen. and its gonna be sunk back so the tips are not sticking out further than the flat part of the rear bumper. i know i wont be able to install a hitch with this setup and im ok with that. the compass is too weak to pull my trailer queen import. so i put together this long ass post to bounce around this idea and get feedback. thx in advance guys

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I think that would look really good................can't do this one because oy hitch...... :(

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im pretty excited for this project, gonna head down to my parts guys next week and order the muffler, and get a section of pipe made with a 45 degree bend in it. then wait a few weeks while my welder gets back from holidays lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was thinking of something like that only having the pipes come out like a regular dual exhaust. Don't know if its possible or not but something to look at one day

·
Registered
381 Posts
Like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
I do what I can. As far as I know I'm the only compass out there with this setup, unless someone wants to challenge that :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Shecky, I think that would look sharp, pretty sweet setup there! Like your duals, too, smokey! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as with all the projects on ye old jeep i will be taking photos of the whole project and posting. were gonna take the exhaust off from the catback and install our custom bent pipe and weld the muffler while its off. then paint the exhaust with the high heat flat black paint used on my oem muffler so it looks pro. cause new pipe with the old pipe wont look too sexy lol.

also i gotta find some trim or molding to put around the cut out section of the rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
What size tips you going to go with? That might help with some of the space around the cut out.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only parts involves are a J pipe, mustang magnaflow some 90's and tips. A local shop had it done in an hour.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Smokey do you mean u dont have the upper muffler part? Just the one muffler and the rest is just pipe? I thought that first straight muffler section (or whatever it is) served a purpose... Did u run 3" pipe all the way? Hey and did u notice a big difference in pick-up by doing that mod?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
As far as I know I'm the only compass out there with this setup, unless someone wants to challenge that :cool:
we will be the only 2 people with one-off exhaust systems for the compass lol. my needed parts will be 8 inches of 2.25pipe, 2 universal exhaust hangers+ 2 U style bold on clamps, a knife, welder, some beer, and the muffler :)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Not a bad list there Shecky, looks like you will have everything you need. :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't remove the cat because of legal issues so I just changed the muffler. The tips are 3" but everything else is stock. The only complaint I have is that at idle the passenger side exhausts more than the driver side but when driving you don't notice it. I had my pipe welded on the whole way and don't regret it. My only other issue is with the mayor of my city wanting to make aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket stereo systems illegal. He may have a long battle ahead of him.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Illeagle after market stereos?

My only other issue is with the mayor of my city wanting to make aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket stereo systems illegal. He may have a long battle ahead of him.
Regina???
Exhaust modifications are one thing but -
They want to ban aftermarket stereos???
That's crazy!

·
Registered
381 Posts
He's been in power for around 10 years so I think it's going to his head. I can appreciate putting a decibel limit on exhaust and testing and would be happy to oblige by it and would even pay for it if it came in. The stereos are another thing, there are already laws in effect for that.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Neither one of those regulations would pass down here, that's for sure. We have noise ordinances already which are very rarely enforced....unless it were me making the noise, lol.

- Cherokee

1 - 20 of 58 Posts