My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so today I picked up our TH after having received a 2“ Rough Country lift. Well, it became just that. ROUGH. I could put up with the rougher ride to gain the extra 2”. However, the lift seriously messed with the angles of my front CV axle. I’ve been reading around on this forum and other sites that it’s to be expected. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize it‘d be a problem before I had it installed, or else I would’ve refrained. My CV joints are at an awful angle, and to top it off, they vibrate like crazy under quick acceleration. I’m hoping there’s a fix for this, or else I’m going to have the shop remove the lift.

Anyone have any good news for me??? If I can’t find a solution, then I’m going to have the shop remove the lift 😞

·
Registered
183 Posts
Something wasn't installed properly. Plenty of people have that lift with zero issues and a stock like ride. Did they trim the strut mounts like they're supposed to?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I am also suspicious that the shop missed something or did something wrong on the install. That's why I do everything myself if I can.

Rough Country provides garbage products anyway (personal opinion). That being said their product is not known to cause any issues like you are describing.

Gotta be careful driving it around to avoid causing damage but if it were me I'd be sticking GoPros under there trying to capture what the heck is happening. The CV angles are bound to increase but that's not usually an immediate issue, just something that might take a few miles off their lifespan. You may think its the CV axles could end up being many things.

I'd be re-reading the instructions and re-watching the install video and crawling around underneath to try to confirm their work and see if every piece is as-expected, look for missing spacers, wires that are too tight, etc. Damage to an ABS wheel speed sensor (or its wire) could cause the traction control to kick in and that might come off as vibration too, I'm just saying there are many possibilities.

You are in a tough spot if the shop feels they did it all correctly (which they basically could not have possibly done it correctly otherwise you wouldn't be having these issues). You can go back to them and see if they will help you out but most likely the operating agreement was that they would try their best but they aren't necessarily liable for issues caused by the lift itself or pre-existing problems with the vehicle and then the hard footwork of proving who is at fault falls to you and your lawyer, and you won't have much to stand on there.

If I were you in addition to the above I would be contacting rough country asking them if they have had any similar reports and what to look for as a source of the issue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would take a number of pictures and contact Rough Country. IMO just comparing pictures of Renegades and Compass with that kit, yours's look like more than 2" of lift something is not right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies! Unfortunately the vibration is still present. I’d say it’s more pronounced on the driver side. The shop replaced the camber bolts and realigned, to no avail. Vibration is still very much there. Thankfully they’re willing to figure it out. Today I will be getting a second opinion from another shop. Thank you all again, I’ll post updates when available

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am also suspicious that the shop missed something or did something wrong on the install. That's why I do everything myself if I can.

Rough Country provides garbage products anyway (personal opinion). That being said their product is not known to cause any issues like you are describing.

Gotta be careful driving it around to avoid causing damage but if it were me I'd be sticking GoPros under there trying to capture what the heck is happening. The CV angles are bound to increase but that's not usually an immediate issue, just something that might take a few miles off their lifespan. You may think its the CV axles could end up being many things.

I'd be re-reading the instructions and re-watching the install video and crawling around underneath to try to confirm their work and see if every piece is as-expected, look for missing spacers, wires that are too tight, etc. Damage to an ABS wheel speed sensor (or its wire) could cause the traction control to kick in and that might come off as vibration too, I'm just saying there are many possibilities.

You are in a tough spot if the shop feels they did it all correctly (which they basically could not have possibly done it correctly otherwise you wouldn't be having these issues). You can go back to them and see if they will help you out but most likely the operating agreement was that they would try their best but they aren't necessarily liable for issues caused by the lift itself or pre-existing problems with the vehicle and then the hard footwork of proving who is at fault falls to you and your lawyer, and you won't have much to stand on there.

If I were you in addition to the above I would be contacting rough country asking them if they have had any similar reports and what to look for as a source of the issue.
Thanks, I don’t yet own a GoPro but I’m going to borrow one from a friend to follow your advice. Also, would any warning lights come on in my dash if they’d messed with an abs sensor?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Thanks, I don’t yet own a GoPro but I’m going to borrow one from a friend to follow your advice. Also, would any warning lights come on in my dash if they’d messed with an abs sensor?
It depends on if the data coming from the sensors is still "believable" to the computer. If the wire to the sensor was cut clean off you'd for sure get an error light. Other times its not that simple. I had a Chevy Blazer years ago that had a poor design such that brake dust would collect in-between the teeth of the toothed wheel that the ABS sensor reads. The sensor was magnetic in that case and it read the "windows" between each tooth of the wheel to know the wheel speed. Well, using metallic brake pads the dust would fill in-between the teeth and leave no gap/window for the sensor to read, causing it to get data that made it think the wheel was turning a different speed than it actually was, and this would cause the ABS to kick on unexpectedly to correct a problem that did not actually exist.

I do not think brake dust is your problem all I'm saying is that ABS and traction control are finicky if they aren't getting good data. You would probably be getting a traction control (ESC) light on the dash if that was happening though, maybe, not sure anyways. Overall issues with the wheel speed sensor are the least likely cause of your issue I would guess, just pointing out that weird stuff can happen.

I think your CV axles themselves need to be checked. Maybe during unbolting the strut from the body something was done wrong or incorrectly or out of order and they
a) Pried on something they should not have, or
b) allowed the strut to drop after unbolting at the top and where not supporting the hub, causing the axle to point too far down with weight on it and damaged the CV joint

If your CV joint(s) where somehow damaged during kit installation bad CV could potentially make vibration or clicking, etc especially under power (acceleration). Or so I think anyways, not a real expert in this area to be honest, but I won't be hugely surprised if it turns out you end up having to get new CV axles installed.

Like someone else said your car looks awfully tall now for only a 2 inch lift but maybe its just the angle of the picture. Do you have a part number for the kit you got? (Not sure if Rough Country even does part numbers....)

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I just installed a 2 inch rough country lift on my 2019 trailhawk and I’m having similar issues. Acceleration from a stop to about 35 mph I get a pretty good vibration through the pedals and steering wheel. There is some clunking but that’s a different issue all together and I think I figured it out.

overall, I got 2.5 inches of lift in the front and 3 inches of lift in the rear. That’s based on measuring before and after install from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well in the middle of the tire.

when installing the front spacer, I had to force the knuckle down to get it to match up with the strut tower. It was supported when not attached the the strut tower but I had to force it down so far that I think that’s what is causing my vibrations. I am looking into upgrading the wheel bearings and cv joint, if that’s even possible. I’m hoping I don’t have to remove the lift.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I just installed a 2 inch rough country lift on my 2019 trailhawk and I’m having similar issues. Acceleration from a stop to about 35 mph I get a pretty good vibration through the pedals and steering wheel. There is some clunking but that’s a different issue all together and I think I figured it out.

overall, I got 2.5 inches of lift in the front and 3 inches of lift in the rear. That’s based on measuring before and after install from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well in the middle of the tire.

when installing the front spacer, I had to force the knuckle down to get it to match up with the strut tower. It was supported when not attached the the strut tower but I had to force it down so far that I think that’s what is causing my vibrations. I am looking into upgrading the wheel bearings and cv joint, if that’s even possible. I’m hoping I don’t have to remove the lift.
Sorry to say, but I ended up removing the lift. CV axles were put under too much stress with it. There’s a kit specifically made for the TH, but I don’t remember the manufacturer, sorry. Mine is currently stock height. I want to repurchase a 2” lift and put in the rear components only, I liked how it looked lifted from the rear only, no vibration in the rear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is 2” too much?
My guess is that the trailhawk is already beefier than any other models and the 2 inch lift is just too much for the cv axel. The only other lift I’ve seen is the RRO 1.5 inch which may work fine. I did a ton of research and didn’t see anything about this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts