My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Owners Manual says that even checking the level of the CVT oil should be done by a service tech. Maybe logic and experience is not enough there may be some insider knowledge required.

Then again it may be a way to get you to visit the dealership. There are service manuals for the Compass on ebay they are on cd rom. One might come in handy for something like this.

Search for Compass manual on ebay and some should pop up. Be sure you are looking at the service or shop manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have changed this oil.

i am a weekend warrior & i usually only read these things to learn from other better mechanics. i have passed other post before but yes i have changed this oil. i kind screwed it up & need to get back into it. the 3 problems with this oil change are. you need to drop the pan to empty it, at the time i could not find a manual for the compass (now i have one on cd coming-thanks ebay), and there is no dipstick to check the oil level either. oh yea one more thing this stuff in about 20 a quart, i think 3.5 quarts or 2.5. i need the manual to tell you how long to make your own dipstick. other than those things it was pretty straight forward. hope it helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think you will find, if you dig deep enough, most CVT transmission oil don't need to be changed until 100K miles. If the car is driven normally and not dogged, it can even go longer. It does have to be checked for proper level and added to if needed. None of these types of transmissions should be worked on by a DIY or shade tree technician.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think you will find, if you dig deep enough, most CVT transmission oil don't need to be changed until 100K miles. If the car is driven normally and not dogged, it can even go longer. It does have to be checked for proper level and added to if needed. None of these types of transmissions should be worked on by a DIY or shade tree technician.
I was in a dealer this week and got talking about that and the oil cooler mentioned in the towing package upgrade (apparently not part of the 09 North package). He said 100k on the CVT oil. From what I have determined this is a highly specialized oil. I think I will leave this one for the dealer to do unless some credible service or procedure materializes in the next 3-4 years. The power-train has a 100k warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an old post, but my 08 jeep compass is close to 90,000 miles and was wondering if the CVT transmission need to have an oil change??

Also, I wanted to know if anyone experience heating problem on long trips. I would have to at least stop once before proceeding on during the summer time. I don't know if this is due to the CVT transmission having problems or not. That was back last summer.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, I wanted to know if anyone experience heating problem on long trips. I would have to at least stop once before proceeding on during the summer time. I don't know if this is due to the CVT transmission having problems or not. That was back last summer.
Thanks,
Yes, this is an indication that your fluid needs to be changed.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I know this is an old post, but my 08 jeep compass is close to 90,000 miles and was wondering if the CVT transmission need to have an oil change??

Thanks,
I believe its 120,000 as I was told. The owners manual should have it in the sheduled maintenance section though. You're a bit early for that though.

What is over heating the CVT (dash light) or Engine (temp gauge high) There is a difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Compass and the dealer said it should be changed at 60,000 and it is a different oil than came in it new, they want $475.00 to change it

·
Registered
7 Posts
just bought this SUV I have 60,000 KM and hell im thinking of changing it right now lol. cant be rock science. dropping the pan isnt hard. what fluid are you guys recommending? I dont like using dealer over priced oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2013 Compass, and this thread would really help a lot if someone would take time to reply.
My compass has 166Km on her, still runs good, but I would need to replace the CVT oil as per owner's manual. I have seen videos of changing transmission fluids for other car makes but not Jeep Compass or Patriot.

Any advise before performing a CVT oil change? How much does the CVT oil costs?

·
768 Posts
I have a 2013 Compass, and this thread would really help a lot if someone would take time to reply.
My compass has 166Km on her, still runs good, but I would need to replace the CVT oil as per owner's manual. I have seen videos of changing transmission fluids for other car makes but not Jeep Compass or Patriot.

Any advise before performing a CVT oil change? How much does the CVT oil costs?
This is a tardy reply but I just stumbled onto your post. I think you (or anyone) would be wise to change the CVT fluid long before the manufacturer's recommended interval. Autoguide also has the Jeeppatriot.com website and AYK the Compass has the same drivetrain as the Patriot. I think you may find some advice on changing the CVT fluid over there.

If you DIY, there's also a tranny filter you may as well change while you're in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just changed my CVT oil and filter, to anyone who will do the same. You'll need the dipstick, thermometer, CVT+4 fluid which I got from the dealer. I have not tried out of market filter and gasket so I replaced it with parts from the dealer. Costly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts