My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem and looking for some help or someone who has experienced the same situation...

Firstly, the car:

2010 Jeep Compass North Edition
CVT
4x4
K&N Cold Air Intake
82,500 Km

Secondly, the problem:

I have had the compass for 2.5 years. Over the summer, I had my Kayak on the on a roof rack and I was heading out to the mountains. I was travelling around 100-110 Km/h going uphill (3000+ RPM). All of the sudden the car lurched, dropped a couple hundred RPM but continued at the same speed. The jerk/lurch was very rough (and thus concerning). It almost felt like the engine momentarily choked. There are no check engine codes or lights.

The jerk is now occurring more often, but still (for the most part) only happening while going uphill and travelling above 3000 RPM. Still no codes or lights...

After a bunch of research, I ended up replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils. Then cleaned the air filter and oiled it back up. Still occurring.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Any help or thoughts would be super appreciated.

I like this car but hate the problems...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Depends on a lot

- CVT temperature under load
- CVT software if not current (get updated)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what the CVT is running at in terms of temperature. I'll set up a scan tool and see what I can find. The jerk/lurch will occur whether the car has just fired up or has been putting on highway kilometers.

I really hope this doesn't mean a new transmission.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Only the dealer can verify all the modes and engages internally are happening when they should be. Your millage doesn't require a fluid service at that interval so unless there was a significant leak you're going to have to take it to a dealer for diagnostics. They are not serviceable. Mountain driving may have something to do with it but I am not at all sure.

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
I'm going to go with changing the CVT fluid, if it starts shifting funny that's usually the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the help. I was driving on the highway and it happened again, this time however, the ETC and TCS lights came on. It was the Throttle Body that was causing the problem. When I took it out it was very dirty. I cleaned it... Same thing. got a new throttle body and the car has been running great ever since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Jeep Compass and I experience this issue with the cruise control. Mine however does it only at 5,000rpms. It won't shift quickly coming down the hill but once it does it jerks just like you are explaining. I'm going on a year battle with my dealership and they aren't doing anything.. any suggestions for them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts